Page 41 of 81 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 804

Thread: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

  1. #401
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by ethanUNC View Post
    Continue to educate them.
    Waste of time. People who actively reject evolution do it for emotional/religious reasons. You cannot reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. Evidence doesn't matter to them.

    You MIGHT be able to do the whole "God is the most epic liar of all time if you believe in literal creationism" but that IMO often gets them more angry.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  2. #402
    The Light of Truth
    Northern Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,950

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Based on where I grew up, I think he number is higher.

    Somehow along the way, being a political right-winger has become synonymous with rejecting science. It's like... you can't be Christian yet believe in the scientific method anymore, which I don't get. The Vatican has scientists who can rival the best of them, so what is America's problem? I think it's puritanism, combined with an education system that is becoming increasingly abysmal.

    It's weird because... right wingers encourage their children to ideologically reject evolution, and yet they frown harshly upon their children using critical thinking for anything else.

    I am equally critical of evolution as I am creationism or intelligent design. I question everything. If you question evolution then you should also be questioning your faith, and your community who says evolution should be rejected. Why should it be rejected?

    USE THE BRAIN THAT GOD GAVE YOU!

  3. #403
    User libertyMoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    01-25-14 @ 10:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    36

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    I don't completely accept every part of evolution. There are a few weak links in the theory.

    I can completely accept the fact that religion is an absolutely ridiculous use of lack of facts to try prove a point.
    "No proof is possible! That means you have no choice but to accept my theory!"

    Wow... I wonder if I just upset everyone reading this? Ooops.

  4. #404
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,564

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by libertyMoney View Post
    I don't completely accept every part of evolution. There are a few weak links in the theory.

    I can completely accept the fact that religion is an absolutely ridiculous use of lack of facts to try prove a point.
    "No proof is possible! That means you have no choice but to accept my theory!"

    Wow... I wonder if I just upset everyone reading this? Ooops.
    I agree there are weak links in the theory that is why they are constantly rushing to fix it every time they find something that contradicts the orginal theory.

  5. #405
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    I agree there are weak links in the theory that is why they are constantly rushing to fix it every time they find something that contradicts the orginal theory.
    There is nothing to fix. As more information, data becomes available the understanding changes.

  6. #406
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,564

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    There is nothing to fix. As more information, data becomes available the understanding changes.
    Which means the theory was wrong and it has to be revised. so yes it needs to be fixed.

  7. #407
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    Which means the theory was wrong and it has to be revised. so yes it needs to be fixed.
    No it does not mean the theory was wrong. It means as more information becomes available it becomes more dynamic.

  8. #408
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,694

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    I agree there are weak links in the theory that is why they are constantly rushing to fix it every time they find something that contradicts the orginal theory.
    LOLOLOLOL

    The original theory was proposed by Darwin more than 100 yrs ago. Of course it changes, as we learn more and more.


    I cant believe the number of times I read in this thread that people accused 'science' today of 'not agreeing with Darwin.' REALLY? Do we depend on the medical science, chemistry, or physics of 100 yrs ago? Or do we constantly research and experiment and discover MORE about those sciences and those theories?

    Darwin's initially proposed theory stands up pretty well today but we know so much more about the mechanisms that evolution works thru....do you really think Darwin could have known all this? What...was he out digging up fossils? Discovering carbon dating? Unraveling DNA? Dissecting the human genome? So of course evolutionary theory has been updated. With each new piece of information scientists evaluate and test and come to new consensus OR reject. Science is not static.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #409
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,694

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by libertyMoney View Post
    I don't completely accept every part of evolution. There are a few weak links in the theory.

    I can completely accept the fact that religion is an absolutely ridiculous use of lack of facts to try prove a point.
    "No proof is possible! That means you have no choice but to accept my theory!"

    Wow... I wonder if I just upset everyone reading this? Ooops.
    Do we know everything about cancer? No. Does it exist? Yes. Do we understand many or most things that cause it and contribute to its growth and how it metastasizes? Yes.

    Do we know EVERYTHING about those things? No. Do people turn down treatment because we dont know all those things? Of course not.

    Is there more than one way to treat cancer? Yes. Is it still cancer? Yes. Do people still accept treatment? Yes. Do they turn down treatment because "we dont know everything...there are 'holes'"? No. Are they cured? Some.

    If only some people are cured, but not all...if we dont know everything about cancer.....does it still exist? It is 'real' science? Or is it bull**** that scientists are pulling on us for political gain? More research $$? Fame? Something another political party or other religion decided to foist on us for their own agenda?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #410
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,564

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    LOLOLOLOL

    The original theory was proposed by Darwin more than 100 yrs ago. Of course it changes, as we learn more and more.


    I cant believe the number of times I read in this thread that people accused 'science' today of 'not agreeing with Darwin.' REALLY? Do we depend on the medical science, chemistry, or physics of 100 yrs ago? Or do we constantly research and experiment and discover MORE about those sciences and those theories?

    Darwin's initially proposed theory stands up pretty well today but we know so much more about the mechanisms that evolution works thru....do you really think Darwin could have known all this? What...was he out digging up fossils? Discovering carbon dating? Unraveling DNA? Dissecting the human genome? So of course evolutionary theory has been updated. With each new piece of information scientists evaluate and test and come to new consensus OR reject. Science is not static.
    You can LOLOL all you want to. it still doesn't make a difference that the theory of evolution is imperfect and not always correct.

    Darwin's theory stood up so well that they had to reinvent the whole entire process because people were like ummm we can't really prove it even through fossils.

    so they changed it to what is now the common ancestor model. even with that model they still have issues with things that they discover not lining up in their theory
    so they have to change the theory again.

    I am perfectly fine with what is defined as micro evolution. which is basically genetic changes within a species, but that species still remains the same kind or classification.
    no one to date has yet to show or prove macro evolution of a species evolving into a completely different species of a totally different classification.

    that is why they rejected that idea and went with the common ancestor.

    humans have always been humans. apes have always been apes. etc etc etc ...

Page 41 of 81 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •