Page 11 of 81 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 804

Thread: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows[W:571]

  1. #101
    Educator BlackAsCoal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    11-04-15 @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    702

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    IMHO, Agent J hits the nail on the head in this....The article is setting up a false dichotomy here...Although it is my own perception, and experience that new generations entering society seem to be dense when it comes to expanded thinking on subjects, recent generations are shallow, and self absorbed in their thinking which I think leads to this conclusion of PEW in the poll.

    adpst also made a salient point early on, for those who believe in God. Which is to say that as a believer, God created everything, and also created evolution, as a part and whole of free will.
    One can imagine anything that makes them feel better about trying to 'prove' something that has no science.

    Science doesn't require Gods.
    “No people can be both ignorant and free.”
    - Thomas Jefferson

  2. #102
    Educator BlackAsCoal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    11-04-15 @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    702

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    If you believe in a God you don't know Gods processes or exactly how he made man, only that he did.
    ..only that you believe that he did.

    And therein lies the difference.

    Religion is a belief system, plain and simple. Facts are not required.
    “No people can be both ignorant and free.”
    - Thomas Jefferson

  3. #103
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,400

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Morton View Post
    Wrong. The majority of Xtians do not believe in the literal interpretation of scripture.
    You are mistaken. Polls have shown time and time again that the majority of Christians that regularly attend church, especially evangelicals, take biblical stories literally.

    Most Americans take Bible stories literally - Washington Times

    40 Percent Of Americans Still Believe In Creationism

    Liberal Christians and Mainline Protestants are a minority of Christians in America today. The fact is, once you start to question the validity of the accounts in scripture, most likely you are going to end up Agnostic at best at some point.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  4. #104
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackAsCoal View Post
    One can imagine anything that makes them feel better about trying to 'prove' something that has no science.

    Science doesn't require Gods.
    Never said it did....But one thing science has perpetually had a problem with explaining is what caused the big bang? Where did it come from?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #105
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackAsCoal View Post
    One can imagine anything that makes them feel better about trying to 'prove' something that has no science.

    Science doesn't require Gods.
    It's not like there aren't holes in the theory of Evolution anyways. Heck that theory has been under revision since Darwin first presented it. So if it's a choice to of putting my faith in a plan that has more holes than Swiss cheese, or in my God, than that's where it will rest. All that being said, I think arguing the point is mute from a religious perspective. If we truly could prove that God created everything, than there would be no reason for faith.

  6. #106
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackAsCoal View Post
    ..only that you believe that he did.

    And therein lies the difference.

    Religion is a belief system, plain and simple. Facts are not required.
    I dont know what your point is. Did anyone on here try and say that religion was not a belief?
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  7. #107
    Educator BlackAsCoal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    11-04-15 @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    702

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Never said it did....But one thing science has perpetually had a problem with explaining is what caused the big bang? Where did it come from?
    There is no need for a God to cause the Big Bang, says scientist | Mail Online

    Every mystery is not evidence of God.

    God is a belief.
    “No people can be both ignorant and free.”
    - Thomas Jefferson

  8. #108
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    You are mistaken. Polls have shown time and time again that the majority of Christians that regularly attend church, especially evangelicals, take biblical stories literally.

    Most Americans take Bible stories literally - Washington Times

    40 Percent Of Americans Still Believe In Creationism

    Liberal Christians and Mainline Protestants are a minority of Christians in America today. The fact is, once you start to question the validity of the accounts in scripture, most likely you are going to end up Agnostic at best at some point.
    Not buyin' it.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #109
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackAsCoal View Post
    There is no need for a God to cause the Big Bang, says scientist | Mail Online

    Every mystery is not evidence of God.

    God is a belief.
    So you say....But the question remains.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #110
    Educator BlackAsCoal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    11-04-15 @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    702

    Re: One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    It's not like there aren't holes in the theory of Evolution anyways. Heck that theory has been under revision since Darwin first presented it. So if it's a choice to of putting my faith in a plan that has more holes than Swiss cheese, or in my God, than that's where it will rest. All that being said, I think arguing the point is mute from a religious perspective. If we truly could prove that God created everything, than there would be no reason for faith.
    I agree .. which is why God only exists in the minds of believers.

    Science exists for everyone.
    “No people can be both ignorant and free.”
    - Thomas Jefferson

Page 11 of 81 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •