Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 76

Thread: Northern California counties revive an old idea for a breakaway state

  1. #1
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,561

    Northern California counties revive an old idea for a breakaway state

    Northern California counties revive an old idea for a breakaway state - latimes.com

    That is right. There is a bigger push than ever from the northern counties of CA to succeed.
    They have grown tired of the crap coming out of sacremento and want their own state.

    This is more difficult than what it seems. it would take a vote from the CA government and a congressional act which
    more than likely will fail in the state first.

    they are not the only counties in a state wanting to split. counties in CO want the same due to the same reasons.

  2. #2
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: State of Northern CA

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    Northern California counties revive an old idea for a breakaway state - latimes.com

    That is right. There is a bigger push than ever from the northern counties of CA to succeed.
    They have grown tired of the crap coming out of sacremento and want their own state.

    This is more difficult than what it seems. it would take a vote from the CA government and a congressional act which
    more than likely will fail in the state first.

    they are not the only counties in a state wanting to split. counties in CO want the same due to the same reasons.
    We're setting down a dark path if something like this was to go through. As a country, state, a community, we should be finding ways to unite us... not put in more divisions.

  3. #3
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: State of Northern CA

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    Northern California counties revive an old idea for a breakaway state - latimes.com

    That is right. There is a bigger push than ever from the northern counties of CA to succeed.
    They have grown tired of the crap coming out of sacremento and want their own state.

    This is more difficult than what it seems. it would take a vote from the CA government and a congressional act which
    more than likely will fail in the state first.

    they are not the only counties in a state wanting to split. counties in CO want the same due to the same reasons.
    I grew up in Jefferson. This sort of talk has been going on for a long time and will continue to go on for a long time.

    Meanwhile, most people don't really care.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  4. #4
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,027
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: State of Northern CA

    The debate over the State of Jefferson often boils down to a balance sheet. Laufer's tally from the state Department of Finance concluded that California's four northernmost counties take in $20 million or so more per year from Sacramento than they provide.
    At a recent Board of Supervisors forum, Tehama County Chief Administrator Bill Goodwin estimated a loss of $5 million in public works funding annually and a 75% drop in education funding were the county to join in, and he hadn't begun to calculate the impact on health and social service programs.
    Then there are logistics: What to do about the state prison in Crescent City? Who gets the Caltrans equipment left behind? And what of steep out-of-state tuition Jeffersonians would be forced to pay in California's higher education system?


    Northern California counties revive an old idea for a breakaway state - Page 2 - latimes.com
    Let them go.
    Trump Attacked A Syrian Airfield. Trump will be a one-term president.

  5. #5
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,561

    Re: State of Northern CA

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    We're setting down a dark path if something like this was to go through. As a country, state, a community, we should be finding ways to unite us... not put in more divisions.
    that is the problem the liberal controled congress of CA is ignoring people in the north part of the state. same as in CO. those people feel they have little choice left.
    the people in charge are passing laws that they do not agree with and tehre is nothing they can do about it.

    i had only thought about once moving to CA and that was because i applied for a job with a game company and was going to earn about 6 figures a year.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: State of Northern CA

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    that is the problem the liberal controled congress of CA is ignoring people in the north part of the state. same as in CO. those people feel they have little choice left.
    the people in charge are passing laws that they do not agree with and tehre is nothing they can do about it.

    i had only thought about once moving to CA and that was because i applied for a job with a game company and was going to earn about 6 figures a year.
    Uh-huh. They were willing to pay an awful lot for someone who can't spell. But hey I guess if you succeed it's all that matters.

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,561

    Re: State of Northern CA

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    Uh-huh. They were willing to pay an awful lot for someone who can't spell. But hey I guess if you succeed it's all that matters.
    strawmans aren't arguments either and if you had a sleeping 1 year old in your lap you would find it difficult to type as well.

  8. #8
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: State of Northern CA

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    Northern California counties revive an old idea for a breakaway state - latimes.com

    That is right. There is a bigger push than ever from the northern counties of CA to succeed.
    They have grown tired of the crap coming out of sacremento and want their own state.

    This is more difficult than what it seems. it would take a vote from the CA government and a congressional act which
    more than likely will fail in the state first.

    they are not the only counties in a state wanting to split. counties in CO want the same due to the same reasons.
    I fully support this. It would mean two more democratic senators. Additionally, California is way under-represented in Washington. Why should a state like Wyoming or Idaho, with less than a million people have the same number of senators as California with 25 million people?
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  9. #9
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: State of Northern CA

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    that is the problem the liberal controled congress of CA is ignoring people in the north part of the state. same as in CO. those people feel they have little choice left.
    the people in charge are passing laws that they do not agree with and tehre is nothing they can do about it.

    i had only thought about once moving to CA and that was because i applied for a job with a game company and was going to earn about 6 figures a year.
    You obviously don't have a clue about California politics. Northern California is more liberal than Southern California.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #10
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: State of Northern CA

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Why should a state like Wyoming or Idaho, with less than a million people have the same number of senators as California with 25 million people?
    Because it is the State that is represented through Senators. All States are supposedly equal so they all get the same amount of Senators.

    But you probably knew that and chose to ignore it.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •