Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 73

Thread: A&E calls off 'Duck Dynasty' suspension

  1. #51
    Is Idiot Supreme
    Davo The Mavo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    11-08-17 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,999

    Re: A&E calls off 'Duck Dynasty' suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Come on, it was a publicity stunt, we knew he would never be fired, he'll come back to even more viewers than before who want to see what obnoxious crap comes out of his mouth next. This was a set up from day one.
    Wow, what a surprise he is back . . . not! As I said in a couple of the hundred threads on this subject . . . this was a preconceived action. Hmmmmm, just in time for Christmas we have a controversial article printed in GQ . . . I wonder how Duck Dynasty retailers did over the Holidays selling their product? And just like that . . . a few days after Christmas . . . he's back. I'm so shocked.

    Had I been debating this issue over the last week and a half I would feel really manipulated. Phil is sitting back thinking what new way he can make his minion monkeys and those who don't think like him, dance again. His Masters in Education and the obvious required Sociology and Psychology classes seem to have paid off. For those who continue to believe this was real, pardon my interruption, please feel free to dance for Phil some more.

  2. #52
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,680

    Re: A&E calls off 'Duck Dynasty' suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    This went beyond reality television and hillbillies with beards. It boiled down to a speech issue. Because a person believe in the bible and in turn, homosexuality is a sin doesn't mean they cannot state such. A&E had every right to take action but that action had consequences which were unforeseen. Only the special interest groups were outraged - A&E folded on the issue because they are a business after all and killing a cash cow like DD is well... stupid. People have a right to their own opinion and expressing that opinion - like it or not. The moral of the story: Where business is concerned, political correctness from special interest groups do not trump free speech or running a profit media company.
    It also went to a hypocrisy issue and there were examples of this on both sides. People rightfully pointed out that many that were upset by the suspension of Phil Robertson were clamoring for the head of an obscure unknown MSNBC onscreen personality for 'words'. People here were defending A&Es right to fire Phil Robertson because they disagreed with him and got their feelings hurt over what he said, yet when given the opportunity to defend your average citizen from firing a gay employee for similar acts...they suddenly ran silent.

    Consistency is key. This freedom of speech thing cuts both ways. Sure...actions have consequence. A&E SHOULD have been allowed to suspend Phil Robertson...even fire him. The family would then have acted, there would have been massive revenue shifting, all consequence. But instead they 'suspended' him, ran a marathon that was more highly watched than the original broadcast, already had the first half of the season in the can, and his suspension was lifted before the next filming period begins...in March.

  3. #53
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,680

    Re: A&E calls off 'Duck Dynasty' suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Come on, it was a publicity stunt, we knew he would never be fired, he'll come back to even more viewers than before who want to see what obnoxious crap comes out of his mouth next. This was a set up from day one.
    I dont buy it. This was a pathetic overreaction by GLAAD and A&E, to be sure. But knowing how stupid they would both end up looking? If this was planned, they have some ****ty publicists.

  4. #54
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: A&E calls off 'Duck Dynasty' suspension

    How many here think Phil will repeat or say something similar?

    And if so will there be consequences?
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  5. #55
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: A&E calls off 'Duck Dynasty' suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    How many here think Phil will repeat or say something similar?

    And if so will there be consequences?
    He probably will, and there may be consequences - were I A&E and assuming this was not a PR stunt, I'd have the shows lawyers tightening up the contract language to specify actions that may not be so favorable to Phil in the future if he wants to continue on with the show. What that language is or what it entails may or may not be more stringent but what it will not do is prevent Phil from saying what he wants, it would only outline consequences and set clearer actions favorable to A&E.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #56
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: A&E calls off 'Duck Dynasty' suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    He probably will, and there may be consequences - were I A&E and assuming this was not a PR stunt, I'd have the shows lawyers tightening up the contract language to specify actions that may not be so favorable to Phil in the future if he wants to continue on with the show. What that language is or what it entails may or may not be more stringent but what it will not do is prevent Phil from saying what he wants, it would only outline consequences and set clearer actions favorable to A&E.
    I think what, if anything he says in the future will turn out different.

    He's a member of the White's Ferry Road Church of Christ and this is supposedly another one of his religous based messages, which is more inline with New Testament teaching of love, forgiveness, compassion, non judgment, etc

    'My message is to get human beings to love God, love their neighbor and for the life of me I just don't see the downside of human beings not being so mean to one another and actually care for one another and not steal from one another and not murder each other for their tennis shoes. That's the message I have. [...]

    America and the world, we have a love problem. I'm trying to get people aware of that. A loving person is not going to pick up a spear or a knife because when the Ten Commandments were written it was before guns, and God was saying, 'Look, quit murdering each other.' Now I'm just trying to say, 'Folks, let's try to love one another no matter what the color of their skin.'

    This is a photo of his pre-beard days, which leads me to believe that part of his hillbilly persona is for marketing...


    420px-Phil_Robertson_La_Tech_1967.jpg
    Last edited by grip; 12-28-13 at 12:49 PM.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  7. #57
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,680

    Re: A&E calls off 'Duck Dynasty' suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    How many here think Phil will repeat or say something similar?

    And if so will there be consequences?
    He never said it on the show. If he is asked it in an interview? Most assuredly he wil say it again. If he is asked to speak (and he is ALWAYS asked to speak) then if it is topical it will most assuredly come up again.

    Now...heres the question...How many people will run around all butthurt looking for the next opportunity to have their feelings hurt by Phil Robertson and will meanwhile ignore the fact that the Pope...the guy CELEBRATED by GLAAD and the Advocate as their "Man of the Year"...said the EXACT SAME THING as Phil Robertson? How many will continue to ignore the fact that the vast majority of African American ministers not only AGREE with Phil Robertson but also strongly and openly condemned Obama's election year campaign cash driven 'evolution'?

  8. #58
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,680

    Re: A&E calls off 'Duck Dynasty' suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    I think what, if anything he says in the future will turn out different.

    He's a member of the White's Ferry Road Church of Christ and this is supposedly another one of his religous based messages, which is more inline with New Testament teaching of love, forgiveness, compassion, non judgment, etc




    This is a photo of his pre-beard days, which leads me to believe that part of his hillbilly persona is for marketing...


    420px-Phil_Robertson_La_Tech_1967.jpg
    You get that he said the exact same thing DURING the GQ interview...right?

  9. #59
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: A&E calls off 'Duck Dynasty' suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    He never said it on the show. If he is asked it in an interview? Most assuredly he wil say it again. If he is asked to speak (and he is ALWAYS asked to speak) then if it is topical it will most assuredly come up again.

    Now...heres the question...How many people will run around all butthurt looking for the next opportunity to have their feelings hurt by Phil Robertson and will meanwhile ignore the fact that the Pope...the guy CELEBRATED by GLAAD and the Advocate as their "Man of the Year"...said the EXACT SAME THING as Phil Robertson? How many will continue to ignore the fact that the vast majority of African American ministers not only AGREE with Phil Robertson but also strongly and openly condemned Obama's election year campaign cash driven 'evolution'?
    I doubt he'll state his opinion in such a controversial way again, though I could be wrong. And if he does I don't believe A&E would keep him this time or not punish him worse. Either that or it will be almost ignored because it's old news, unless he goes on another type of rant against some group.

    I don't understand your question about Obama or how it's relevant? Are you saying something in reference to African Americans or the Pope?
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  10. #60
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: A&E calls off 'Duck Dynasty' suspension

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    You get that he said the exact same thing DURING the GQ interview...right?
    Didn't he say "that I personally don't judge people who have different skin color and sexual orientation? And believe God loves them also?"
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •