Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 136

Thread: Susan Rice defends Benghazi interviews on 60 Minutes

  1. #51
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,375

    Re: Susan Rice defends Benghazi interviews on 60 Minutes

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Or not. People frequently use the "what difference does it make" comment, a snippet of a much larger statement from a larger inquiry, wildly out of context and hope people won't notice. Surely you weren't doing that?
    It's OK that you have chosen your own interpretation. Fortunately I wasn't doing what you suggest.

    "...and please don't call me [Surely]."

  2. #52
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,013

    Re: Susan Rice defends Benghazi interviews on 60 Minutes

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    It's OK that you have chosen your own interpretation. Fortunately I wasn't doing what you suggest.

    "...and please don't call me [Surely]."
    Your lack of willingness to clarify what you meant by that snippet by Hillary strongly suggests otherwise.

  3. #53
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,375

    Re: Susan Rice defends Benghazi interviews on 60 Minutes

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Your lack of willingness to clarify what you meant by that snippet by Hillary strongly suggests otherwise.
    What difference does it make (no quotes)? Feel better?

  4. #54
    Student sedan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mpls., MN
    Last Seen
    07-19-14 @ 07:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    162

    Re: Susan Rice defends Benghazi interviews on 60 Minutes

    Quote Originally Posted by sedan View Post
    You know, one of the things the scandalmongers never like to talk about is how there really were worldwide protests against the video on that day.

    Quote Originally Posted by EdwinWillers View Post
    Name one protest we were focused on instead of Benghazi, let alone that such efforts precluded us from doing anything in Benghazi.

    Good grief. Talk about lame.
    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    What has that got to do with a terrorist attack on 9/11??!!
    Quote Originally Posted by annata View Post
    Bengazi was unique. what you mention was a deliberate attempt to conflate other protests, into a terrorist atack in Bengazi.

    The US knew the next day, yet chose to go with the"video did it line"
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Hillary ?? Is that you ?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtm1963 View Post
    notice there's not one for benghazi.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    Deadender.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    True, BUT, the attack in Benghazi had nothing to do with that. It was a planned raid that had been formulated prior to those protests.
    The point, of course, is that it was never unreasonable to suppose that the attacks were related to the video.

    And there were people in the CIA saying that it was, which is why the talking points given to Susan Rice by the CIA included those statements.

    For me, the map indicates how very unusual it would be for there not to be a protest in Libya on a day when protests against the video were so ubiquitous across the Muslim world.

    Interestingly, there's an article in today's NYT still saying the video was a primary cause of the attack:

    Months of investigation by The New York Times, centered on extensive interviews with Libyans in Benghazi who had direct knowledge of the attack there and its context, turned up no evidence that Al Qaeda or other international terrorist groups had any role in the assault. The attack was led, instead, by fighters who had benefited directly from NATO’s extensive air power and logistics support during the uprising against Colonel Qaddafi. And contrary to claims by some members of Congress, it was fueled in large part by anger at an American-made video denigrating Islam.
    “When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.”

    ~ Jonathan Swift

  5. #55
    Guru
    annata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    beneath the bodi tree
    Last Seen
    02-16-17 @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,163

    Re: Susan Rice defends Benghazi interviews on 60 Minutes

    ^A Deadly Mix in Benghazi - The New York Times
    One of his allies, the leader of Benghazi’s most overtly anti-Western militia, Ansar al-Shariah, boasted a few months before the attack that his fighters could “flatten” the American Mission. Surveillance of the American compound appears to have been underway at least 12 hours before the assault started.
    the AQ moniker is favored by the Republicans (according to the NYT), the dereliction in security is manifest, hanging out in east Africa,
    with Libya police providing security was just culbably stupid.

    It's hard to differentiate between the militias, this is from WIKI
    Ansar al-Sharia was formed during the Libyan civil war and rose to prominence after the assassination of Muammar Gaddafi.
    On September 11, 2012, the United States Department of State Operations Center advised the White House Situation Room and other U.S. security units that Ansar al-Sharia was claiming responsibility for the attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi that had just occurred.[12] Witnesses said they saw vehicles with the group's logo at the scene of the assault and that fighters there acknowledged at the time that they belonged to Ansar al-Sharia.[
    Ansar al-Sharia (Libya) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    so you have direct input into the WH Situation Room that Ansar al Sharia , led the attack, Which was never mentioned, it was "spontaneous", according to the WH, and Rice.
    They had to know about the Libyan militia groups, they chose to down play it into "a spontaneous demonstration gone bad"

    It was pre-planned. The WH had to know this, as the knowledge from State was sent to the Situation Room (done by Ansar al-Sharia)

    One could argue over the video point, and it's pretty clear that was the talking point - nothing about the rise of militia rule after the Qaddafi assassination.
    Stick to the talking points, like Rice did, even as the WH had to know it was more than that, when she went on the Sunday shows.

    The real failure was the Libyan war itself, but Americans refuse responsibility for that - calling it the "liberation" of Libya.
    The crime was the war, not the dissembling about the video. The piss-poor security in Bengazi..well you can make up your own mind on that.
    Oṃ maṇi padme hūṃ

  6. #56
    Guru
    annata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    beneath the bodi tree
    Last Seen
    02-16-17 @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,163

    Re: Susan Rice defends Benghazi interviews on 60 Minutes

    as for Hillary: her inability to testify otherwise then "what does it matter" speaks volumes.
    By the time of her testimony, she could have easily explained how theWH talking points came out.
    She chose to deflect, not accept any responsibility, and cover up for the incompetence of Rice/Clinton/Obama.

    At one point, Hillary Clinton exploded in barely contained fury:

    “With all due respect, the fact is we had four dead Americans. Was it because of a protest or was it because of guys out for a walk one night decided to go kill some Americans? What difference at this point does it make?” Clinton asked the Republican Senator. “It is our job to figure out what happened and do everything we can to prevent it from ever happening again
    C'mon. just come clean, but the hawks never will, because once they did, the whole Libyan "liberation" would unravel.
    Oṃ maṇi padme hūṃ

  7. #57
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,360

    Re: Susan Rice defends Benghazi interviews on 60 Minutes

    Quote Originally Posted by sedan View Post
    The point, of course, is that it was never unreasonable to suppose that the attacks were related to the video.

    And there were people in the CIA saying that it was, which is why the talking points given to Susan Rice by the CIA included those statements.

    For me, the map indicates how very unusual it would be for there not to be a protest in Libya on a day when protests against the video were so ubiquitous across the Muslim world.

    Interestingly, there's an article in today's NYT still saying the video was a primary cause of the attack:

    Months of investigation by The New York Times, centered on extensive interviews with Libyans in Benghazi who had direct knowledge of the attack there and its context, turned up no evidence that Al Qaeda or other international terrorist groups had any role in the assault. The attack was led, instead, by fighters who had benefited directly from NATO’s extensive air power and logistics support during the uprising against Colonel Qaddafi. And contrary to claims by some members of Congress, it was fueled in large part by anger at an American-made video denigrating Islam.
    The REALITY is that the regime KNEW the attack didnt have anything to do with the video, then flat out LIED about it. Nixon resigned over a smaller lie than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #58
    Educator BlackAsCoal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    11-04-15 @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    702

    Re: Susan Rice defends Benghazi interviews on 60 Minutes

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The United States didn't invade Libya and the destruction was caused by local forces.
    Ridiculous and unlearned.

    I guess all the American of bombs were just a figment of the imagination.

    The U.S. Has Dropped 76% of the Bombs in Libya - The Wire

    US drones bombed Libya more than Pakistan ? RT USA

    US & Nato forces dropping Depleted Uranium Bombs on Libyan Population |

    30,000 Bombs On Libya

    Remember Libya: How US-NATO Destroyed an Entire Country Under a Humanitarian Mandate | Global Research

    Not only did the US destroy Libya, we did it based on lies no differently than what we did in Iraq .. AND, we used Al Queda to do it.
    “No people can be both ignorant and free.”
    - Thomas Jefferson

  9. #59
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,360

    Re: Susan Rice defends Benghazi interviews on 60 Minutes

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackAsCoal View Post
    Ridiculous and unlearned.

    I guess all the American of bombs were just a figment of the imagination.

    The U.S. Has Dropped 76% of the Bombs in Libya - The Wire

    US drones bombed Libya more than Pakistan ? RT USA

    US & Nato forces dropping Depleted Uranium Bombs on Libyan Population |

    30,000 Bombs On Libya

    Remember Libya: How US-NATO Destroyed an Entire Country Under a Humanitarian Mandate | Global Research

    Not only did the US destroy Libya, we did it based on lies no differently than what we did in Iraq .. AND, we used Al Queda to do it.
    That's air-support for local ground forces, not an invasion.

    That's as rediculous as people claiming United States invaded Vietnam.

    Most of the destruction in Libya was cause by the rebels and government forces.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #60
    Guru
    annata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    beneath the bodi tree
    Last Seen
    02-16-17 @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,163

    Re: Susan Rice defends Benghazi interviews on 60 Minutes

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    That's air-support for local ground forces, not an invasion.

    That's as rediculous as people claiming United States invaded Vietnam.

    Most of the destruction in Libya was cause by the rebels and government forces.
    why not just call it:
    "Kinetic Military Action", if you want to split hairs..

    Libya: it's not a war if Americans can't get hurt | Jonathan Schell | Comment is free | theguardian.com

    Nonetheless, the Obama administration insists it is not a war. Why?

    Because, according to "United States Activities in Libya", a 32-page report that the administration released last week, "U.S. operations do not involve sustained fighting or active exchanges of fire with hostile forces, nor do they involve the presence of U.S. ground troops, U.S. casualties or a serious threat thereof, or any significant chance of escalation into a conflict characterised by those factors."

    In other words, the balance of forces is so lopsided in favour of the United States that no Americans are dying or are threatened with dying.
    War is only war, it seems, when Americans are dying, when we die. When only they, the Libyans, die, it is something else for which there is as yet apparently no name. When they attack, it is war. When we attack, it is not.
    Oṃ maṇi padme hūṃ

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •