Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021
Results 201 to 205 of 205

Thread: Woman fired for Aids Africa tweet. [W:38:54]

  1. #201
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Woman fired for Aids Africa tweet.

    Quote Originally Posted by falcata View Post
    Then she says in a jocular manner that she cannot get AIDS because she is white. In this latter part of the comment we can clearly see that she is presuming that she as a White/Caucasian human cannot get AIDS and by taking out the white factor out of South Africa we find ourselves with the predominantly African factor.
    or being white in africa, because it likely means you come from a privileged class that has access to education, healthcare, etc highly reduces your chances of getting aids? We even see a similar split in the US unfortunately. And imagine in a place like Africa where the disparities between such groups is much more intense that such is also true and to a much greater degree.

    Still something pretty ****ed up to joke about and rather insane that a PR professional would simply broadcast it on the net, regardless if she is racist or simply has a rather perverse and morbid sense of humor.

  2. #202
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Woman fired for Aids Africa tweet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    This is all I read. If you work as Com. Dir. for any company that big, you should really watch what the **** it is you say. Specially when one of your websites caters to a multiracial demographic. Some of the other sites that specifically cater to various races owned by her company: OkCupid, SpeedDate, Meetic, SinglePeopleMeet. This company did the right thing just as A&E did by rehiring Phil Robertson. It erred on the side of caution and played to its audience. Firing this woman, however, puts strong emphasis on what I've been telling people for years. Popularity doesn't matter jack **** in media. Sponsors and demographics do. A&E's Duck Dynasty's demographic are rednecks and people of low income. Firing Phil Robertson will simply make sure they stop watching. This woman on the other hand is an executive. Firing her won't damage the company one bit. It will benefit them because the person they're firing is not a bread winner.

    In short, getting fired in the media world depends on highly specific conditions. If you have the right audience, the right sponsors and the right income, nobody will care. If viewers of A&E boycotted by not watching any of A&E's other shows, they'd have a shot at cancelling Duck Dynasty. However, as that is unlikely to happen, the show will remain.

    yeah, when people think any such commercial entity is acting out of some moral sense I just have to laugh.

    PS with that said, I think Glaads response was rather shortsighted and missed the distinction between more socially settled issues, like those involving race, and one's with less of a social mandate supporting them. With the later, public airing and debate would likely serve the cause better and not offer the opportunity to claim legitimacy through the act of suppression

  3. #203
    Educator falcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North East Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    08-10-17 @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    926

    Re: Woman fired for Aids Africa tweet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    I find it both funny and racist
    This is pretty far down on my list of funny racist jokes personally.
    I traveled with Ivanka
    the way I normally do
    How was I to know
    She was with the Russians too? - Poetics by TurtleDude

  4. #204
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Woman fired for Aids Africa tweet.

    Quote Originally Posted by falcata View Post
    This is pretty far down on my list of funny racist jokes personally.
    context is what makes it so funny. Sort of like an obstetrician thinking it's a good idea to tweet his favorite dead baby jokes

  5. #205
    Educator falcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North East Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    08-10-17 @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    926

    Re: Woman fired for Aids Africa tweet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    context is what makes it so funny. Sort of like an obstetrician thinking it's a good idea to tweet his favorite dead baby jokes
    Ah I thought you meant the joke itself. Not the situation.
    I traveled with Ivanka
    the way I normally do
    How was I to know
    She was with the Russians too? - Poetics by TurtleDude

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •