Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 205

Thread: Woman fired for Aids Africa tweet. [W:38:54]

  1. #161
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,411

    Re: Woman fired for Aids Africa tweet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    So then your claim is that only white people can be racist?

    Blacks cannot be? Can Asians?
    Racism requires power. Blacks can certainly be bigots, as can Asians in this country.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  2. #162
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,050

    Re: Woman fired for Aids Africa tweet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    How is that any different from network TV? Are you saying those are 'the norm' for Americans? Even mainstream? @_@
    It's different in one basic aspect, American media has no problem presenting a diverse positive images of white families. Rosanne? Poor/working class white family for the first few seasons. Full house? Middle class white family. 7th Heaven? Upper middle class white people. Keeping up with the Kardashians? Rich white people. Then you have shows for black people. They range from middle class black people (The Jeffersons, All in The Family, Checking in) to upper class black people (Fresh Prince, Cosby Show) - It's only recently that we have depictions of black people in a state representative of the majority of conditions blacks live in and even those are used for comedy purposes (BET, Any of that gay **** Tyler Perry does, and whatever Eddie Murphy is dressing up as this year). If that's the depiction we're going to get from even our own community I'd rather ignore it because it's representative of a very cherry picked demographic.

    HBO is the only channel that does black people right. The Wire? Brilliance. The Shield? Great. Go to 1980s Chicago and tell me how representative Family Matters was of the black community then.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 12-24-13 at 03:29 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #163
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,411

    Re: Woman fired for Aids Africa tweet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Do you think black people were the only group of people that were ever slaves?
    No of course not. In ancient times conquered peoples were routinely enslaved without regard to race. More recently the Chinese Coolies were essentially slave labor. However, that all said, from a historical perspective, white males have had it easier in regards to slavery, bigotry, persecution, and exploitation than any other demographic by a long shot.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  4. #164
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Woman fired for Aids Africa tweet.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Racism requires power. Blacks can certainly be bigots, as can Asians in this country.
    Power is not a white only phenomenon.

  5. #165
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Woman fired for Aids Africa tweet.

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Racism requires power. Blacks can certainly be bigots, as can Asians in this country.
    Never heard that. Do you have a definition that includes that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #166
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Woman fired for Aids Africa tweet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    It's different in one basic aspect, American media has no problem presenting a diverse positive images of white families. Rosanne? Poor/working class white family for the first few seasons. Full house? Middle class white family. 7th Heaven? Upper middle class white people. Keeping up with the Kardashians? Rich white people. Then you have shows for black people. They range from middle class black people (The Jeffersons, All in The Family, Checking in) to upper class black people (Fresh Prince, Cosby Show) - It's only recently that we have depictions of black people in a state representative of the majority of conditions blacks live in and even those are maxed out for comedy purposes (BET, Any of that gay **** Tyler Perry does, and whatever Eddie Murphy is dressing up as this year). If that's the depiction we're going to get from even our own community I'd rather ignore it because it's representative of a very cherry picked demographic.
    Maybe you dont remember Good Times?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #167
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Woman fired for Aids Africa tweet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Never heard that. Do you have a definition that includes that?
    Does a blog from DailyKos count?

  8. #168
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Woman fired for Aids Africa tweet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    You're stretching. Your source doesn't even say any of that. However:

    “Redneck” Origins



    Redneck History and Heritage | Save The Redneck





    Note: Quit citing revisionists like John Martin. Your selective cherry picking of where the word comes from is telling. Very telling
    We're talking the southern meaning of redneck, not what you posted. If we want to look at it through that lens, we can say nigger is okay correct?
    The word originally meant black. That's it. It didn't mean what it's evolved into nowadays.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  9. #169
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Woman fired for Aids Africa tweet.

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    I know black people who call themselves rednecks
    Of course. I do as well. But they, just like most users on this thread, don't know where the term originates.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  10. #170
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,411

    Re: Woman fired for Aids Africa tweet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Never heard that. Do you have a definition that includes that?
    It's ultimately a semantics argument. Racism is generally defined as prejudice + power. However, one could also consider racism, bigotry, and prejudice as synonyms depending on how you define the terms.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •