Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 205

Thread: Woman fired for Aids Africa tweet. [W:38:54]

  1. #131
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,017

    Re: Woman fired for Aids Africa tweet.

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    How many black/brown people have you met with a red neck?
    How many white Ivy League educated Liberals would you call rednecks?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #132
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,017

    Re: Woman fired for Aids Africa tweet.

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    When I think of a Redneck, I think of a guy with a pick-up truck sporting deer antlers on the grill with red and green Christmas lights on them. The fact (if it is one) that it refers mostly to white people does not make it a racial slur...though I would guess that, depending on what area of the country one lives in and its local customs, it could be seen as one. *shrug*

    To me, it's similar to hillbilly . . . a derogatory term when used to be derogatory; endearing when meant to be that; but certainly not a racial slur.
    This is basically what I consider a redneck. To me, it's a term for a subculture. Would I call a white kid wearing goth makeup a redneck? Nope. Would I call a nerdy skinny white kid a redneck? Nope. When I say "redneck", I picture a white dude driving around while wearing a plaid shirt, a John Deere hat and listening to Hank Williams Jr.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #133
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,396

    Re: Woman fired for Aids Africa tweet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    This is basically what I consider a redneck. To me, it's kind a term for subculture. Would I call a white kid wearing goth makeup a redneck? Nope. Would I call a nerdy skinny white kid a redneck? Nope. When I say "redneck", I picture a white dude driving around while wearing a plaid shirt, a John Deere hat and listening to Hank Williams Jr.

    Exactly and since redneck cannot be applied to every person of one race, it's not a racial slur. What else is there to argue?
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  4. #134
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,017

    Re: Woman fired for Aids Africa tweet.

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    Exactly and since redneck cannot be applied to every person of one race, it's not a racial slur. What else is there to argue?
    The problem is feigned outrage. Some right wing American whites are desperate to have their own racial slur. One that conveys the same feelings as nigger, wetback and maybe chink. The problem is that they run into 2 giant problems when they try to get worked up about "redneck" and "cracker". On one hand, these are the same whites that constantly argue that historically these terms have been used for racist purposes. This fails on two grounds, the first one is that "whites" as a collective in America's history is a relatively new term.

    1. The Irish and Scots: They haven't been considered "whites" for a large part of US history.
    2. Italians: They weren't even considered white until the 1920s. Each region of Italy has their particular epithet and have been singled out on merit.
    3. German & Dutch: They were being called "krauts" as recently as the 1940s. Once again to separate them from other whites.

    The second ground it fails on is the fact that whites in America have had their own separate struggles. At no point in US history have all whites discriminated against. When I say this, I mean that they haven't been discriminated against as a group. Each group of white immigration has had their own period of discrimination and a none have had the chance of saying it was on grounds of being white. For the most part, White Anglo Saxon Protestants have remained scathed. The Irish, the Scots, the Italians? They each took their turns. The same can't be said for Asians, Blacks & Hispanics. At one point or another, all members of such groups were discriminated against with federal/local laws supporting it.

    That said, it's impossible for whites to come up with a collective term meant to discriminate against all whites. They simply haven't had a collective struggle in the US. From the onset, whites were the power holders in the US. Even though that influence has declined today, it's impossible for whites to say they're being oppressed. Most of the government leaders are white. Most of the army leadership remains white. Corporations in the US remain mostly white run. There US simply hasn't had the social dynamic required to create a slur to refer to whites collectively. Sure, some groups of whites face discrimination (Russians, Armenians etc) but there is simply no collective discrimination of whites in the US.

    Going back to my initial point, the second problem that some whites who depend on feigned outrage want to have it both ways when it comes to racial history. They proudly claim that nigger can be disassociated from its past because "nobody today owns a slave" and "blacks say it too". Well, that's fine - if we can disassociate it so easily, then I guess the same applies for redneck, right? Only it doesn't. Redneck is a term applied to a specific subculture. Movies are made on the subculture. TV shows are centered around it. Comedians call themselves that without necessarily being white. Is it the same for nigger? Nope. Not at all. The word has a past that stretches beyond a subculture because it has historically been applied to everyone from a black Senator from Chicago to a poor black farmer in Georgia.

    In conclusion: People like Marine have reverted back to the failed argument of "redneck" and "cracker" are the same as "nigger", "chink" and "wetback". Only they are not. Historically, redneck and cracker are references to VERY specific groups of whites and this is due to the US' racial history. Just as whites have their own hyphenated groups to refer to each distinctive group of white (Irish-American, Italian-American), they've had their own distinctive epithets ("Dago", "Mick"). Blacks, because of their past have had a single word to refer to them "nigger" and now have a single word to describe themselves "African-American". This isn't to say that words like "Dago" and "Mick" aren't racist, they, without a doubt are. However, words like cracker don't follow as they aren't references to either all people from a region or even every member of a race in that region. Redneck basically is a subculture word. You can be Southern and not be a redneck.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 12-24-13 at 01:38 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #135
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Woman fired for Aids Africa tweet.

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    Exactly and since redneck cannot be applied to every person of one race, it's not a racial slur. What else is there to argue?
    The other aforementioned racial slur can and has been used against non-blacks, and is allegedly not a racial slur if the user is a certain race. Racial slur sometimes is the argument, don't you agree?

  6. #136
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,396

    Re: Woman fired for Aids Africa tweet.

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    The other aforementioned racial slur can and has been used against non-blacks, and is allegedly not a racial slur if the user is a certain race. Racial slur sometimes is the argument, don't you agree?
    Are you saying black people call other races nigger and it's okay because they are black? I'm sorry I don't quite understand what you are saying.
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  7. #137
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Woman fired for Aids Africa tweet.

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    Are you saying black people call other races nigger and it's okay because they are black? I'm sorry I don't quite understand what you are saying.
    People of all races who use the word have used it to describe non-blacks also.

  8. #138
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Woman fired for Aids Africa tweet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Are you saying nuns can't smoke weed? That's like saying nuns can't take prescription pills.
    No, what? How did you get there form here?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #139
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,017

    Re: Woman fired for Aids Africa tweet.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    No, what? How did you get there form here?
    Then what exactly is a slap in the face about a nun smoking weed (his picture)?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #140
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,662

    Re: Woman fired for Aids Africa tweet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Rednecks and people of low income aren't races. Actually, if you knew what they were, rednecks fit well within people of low income. It's actually a slang term for poor southern farmers who happen to white and not white people in general. Your feigned outrage is noted though.
    Well I've never heard redneck applied to anyone but a white person.

    And I've definitely heard it refer to people with $$....it's more an attitude and lifestyle (which doesnt mean poor).

    The way you are trying to justify it by saying it's just for white Southern farmers is exactly the way that people try to justify the N word by saying it only applies to a specific 'group' of blacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •