Page 77 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127 ... LastLast
Results 761 to 770 of 1317

Thread: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

  1. #761
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    There you go, making unsubstantiated assertions. One after another.

    We know what Phil said. We k ow the racial history around what he said. There is no denying the reality. Phil is either a dumb ass or a racist, or maybe both.
    Wrong.
    My assertions are substantiated by what he said. He was speaking of personal experience in reference to an asked question. Nothing more.

    On the other hand - what you think you know and what you actually know are two separate things.

    The things you think you know in this case are manifestations of your own convoluted and biased thoughts.
    Nothing more than that.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  2. #762
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Jesus is my pastor.

    I just don't believe him to be God, like you all do. In fact, I believe worshiping Christ as God is Idoltry.
    Well then, I have to wonder if you even watched this video at all. Or, if you just saw the title and posted to make a point, again wrongfully judging those around you, and holding yourself up as a "better" Christian, or a "better" person, than someone else because of your own prideful conceit.

    You commit sin when you try and hold yourself out there as more an authority on God's word than someone else, then you are wrong from the start before you even write a word, or open your mouth.

    We are all sinners, none perfect, but I don't believe Jesus, or any rational person today is down with the whole "I'm a better Christian than you" crap, and to tell you the truth, I have little stomach for people like you that approach their faith that way.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #763
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,697

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Wrong.
    My assertions are substantiated by what he said. He was speaking of personal experience in reference to an asked question. Nothing more.

    On the other hand - what you think you know and what you actually know are two separate things.

    The things you think you know in this case are manifestations of your own convoluted and biased thoughts.
    Nothing more than that.
    Nonsense. Read his words again. He clearly states blacks were happier before...you know, happier back before they could vote or drink from public water fountains.

    I'm not sure how you spin that to be a statement of love, coming from a good Christian soul. But it's not reality.

    He said Blacks were happier under Jim Crow. And, that's just insane.

  4. #764
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Nonsense. Read his words again. He clearly states blacks were happier before...you know, happier back before they could vote or drink from public water fountains.

    I'm not sure how you spin that to be a statement of love, coming from a good Christian soul, but it's not reality. He said Blacks were happier under Jim Crow. And, that's just insane.
    You are being absurd. He said no such thing. These are manifestations of your own convoluted and biased thoughts.

    He made before comment.
    He was asked a question. He answered it with his personal experience. Nothing more than that.

    There is no reference to "all", and no comparison.
    Last edited by Excon; 12-26-13 at 10:24 AM.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  5. #765
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,697

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Robertson's biggest mistake with that quote was saying "they," as if he really had his finger on the pulse of the black community in early-60s Louisiana, and acting as if that was representative of the entire south. If he had just said "the people I knew," obviously not a first instinct, he's likely fine.

    I don't think his racial comments were all that offensive. Ignorant, to be sure, but not offensive ... I'm willing to give him the BOTD that maybe he didn't know anyone adversely affected by Jim Crow. In certain areas of the South (mostly small towns where the white people weren't total assholes), it wasn't unheard of for the white folk to just ignore those laws. I think his gay comments were far worse than his racial comments.

    I think his boiling homosexuality down to a preference for ass instead of the V is far more ignorant than saying that he, personally, didn't know any black folks who were upset about racist laws. He was born in 1946; the CRA didn't come down the pike until 1964; the last of Jim Crow ended in 1965. We don't know at what age he was pickin' cotton with the Negro folk. And the JC laws were far worse in the cities than they were in certain small towns (and, of course, they were far worse in OTHER small towns that I wouldn't go to NOW if I was a black guy).

    He never said "blacks were happier before civil rights;" he also was an idiot for implying that because the few he knew weren't upset, that it was a representative sample of anything other than his anecdotal ignorant bull**** and acting like everything was hunky dory.
    I'll buy this. It's possible that he meant less than what his words implied.

  6. #766
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'll buy this. It's possible that he meant less than what his words implied.
    His words do not imply anything other then their straight forward meaning of his personal experience.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  7. #767
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,697

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    You are being absurd. He said no such thing. These are manifestations of your own convoluted and biased thoughts.

    He made no reference to before.
    He was asked a question. He answered it with his personal experience. Nothing more than that.

    There is no reference to "all", and no comparison.
    He referred to a time "pre", which is before, by definition. He also used an absurd broad brush by saying cotton picking folk were happy.

    He was 18 in 1964, when the Civil Rights Act was passed, 22 when MLK caught a bullet. It's not hard to figure out that the Jim Crow days are the golden years in which he refers.

  8. #768
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    He referred to a time "pre", which is before, by definition. He also used an absurd broad brush by saying cotton picking folk were happy.

    No. He was asked a question about that time period. What do you think "You say" means? He is responding to a question asked. "Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy?"
    He is answering a question of his own personal experience of that time. Not making any comparison.


    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    He was 18 in 1964, when the Civil Rights Act was passed, 22 when MLK caught a bullet. It's not hard to figure out that the Jim Crow days are the golden years in which he refers.
    What you are "figuring" are manifestations of your own convoluted and biased thoughts.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  9. #769
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,697

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post

    No. He was asked a question about that time period. What do you think "You say" means? He is responding to a question asked. "Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy?"
    He is answering a question of his own personal experience of that time. Not making any comparison.


    What you are "figuring" are manifestations of your own convoluted and biased thoughts.
    After 18 Phil goes from star QB to teacher to bar owner...his cotton picking days had to be prior to 1964, that's pre-civil rights and during Jim Crow. It's not rocket science.

    However, I'm sure that defending his comments takes some effort.

  10. #770
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    After 18 Phil goes from star QB to teacher to bar owner...his cotton picking days had to be prior to 1964, that's pre-civil rights and during Jim Crow. It's not rocket science.

    However, I'm sure that defending his comments takes some effort.

    And again. There was nothing wrong with what he said. It was his person experience at the time.

    If you find anything wrong with it, it is a manifestation of your your own deluded and biased thoughts.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •