Page 76 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126 ... LastLast
Results 751 to 760 of 1317

Thread: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

  1. #751
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    43,219

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Robertson's biggest mistake with that quote was saying "they," as if he really had his finger on the pulse of the black community in early-60s Louisiana, and acting as if that was representative of the entire south. If he had just said "the people I knew," obviously not a first instinct, he's likely fine.

    I don't think his racial comments were all that offensive. Ignorant, to be sure, but not offensive ... I'm willing to give him the BOTD that maybe he didn't know anyone adversely affected by Jim Crow. In certain areas of the South (mostly small towns where the white people weren't total assholes), it wasn't unheard of for the white folk to just ignore those laws. I think his gay comments were far worse than his racial comments.

    I think his boiling homosexuality down to a preference for ass instead of the V is far more ignorant than saying that he, personally, didn't know any black folks who were upset about racist laws. He was born in 1946; the CRA didn't come down the pike until 1964; the last of Jim Crow ended in 1965. We don't know at what age he was pickin' cotton with the Negro folk. And the JC laws were far worse in the cities than they were in certain small towns (and, of course, they were far worse in OTHER small towns that I wouldn't go to NOW if I was a black guy).

    He never said "blacks were happier before civil rights;" he also was an idiot for implying that because the few he knew weren't upset, that it was a representative sample of anything other than his anecdotal ignorant bull**** and acting like everything was hunky dory.
    Last edited by Kobie; 12-26-13 at 05:43 AM.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  2. #752
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Robertson's biggest mistake with that quote was saying "they," as if he really had his finger on the pulse of the black community in early-60s Louisiana, and acting as if that was representative of the entire south. If he had just said "the people I knew," obviously not a first instinct, he's likely fine.
    Not at all.
    "They" refers to those he knew.
    As in, his personal experience.
    Saying anything else about it is reading way too much into it.
    It is a person choosing to see that which is not there.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  3. #753
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Not at all.
    "They" refers to those he knew.
    As in, his personal experience.
    Saying anything else about it is reading way too much into it.
    It is a person choosing to see that which is not there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Robertson's biggest mistake with that quote was saying "they," as if he really had his finger on the pulse of the black community in early-60s Louisiana, and acting as if that was representative of the entire south. If he had just said "the people I knew," obviously not a first instinct, he's likely fine.

    I don't think his racial comments were all that offensive. Ignorant, to be sure, but not offensive ... I'm willing to give him the BOTD that maybe he didn't know anyone adversely affected by Jim Crow. In certain areas of the South (mostly small towns where the white people weren't total assholes), it wasn't unheard of for the white folk to just ignore those laws. I think his gay comments were far worse than his racial comments.

    I think his boiling homosexuality down to a preference for ass instead of the V is far more ignorant than saying that he, personally, didn't know any black folks who were upset about racist laws. He was born in 1946; the CRA didn't come down the pike until 1964; the last of Jim Crow ended in 1965. We don't know at what age he was pickin' cotton with the Negro folk. And the JC laws were far worse in the cities than they were in certain small towns (and, of course, they were far worse in OTHER small towns that I wouldn't go to NOW if I was a black guy).

    He never said "blacks were happier before civil rights;" he also was an idiot for implying that because the few he knew weren't upset, that it was a representative sample of anything other than his anecdotal ignorant bull**** and acting like everything was hunky dory.
    Because this might be going off-topic, I decided to make a separate topic on this because it is something that has tickled my curiosity bone. Feel free to join in if you like:

    We're Black People Better Off Before Integration?

  4. #754
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Because I think it's relevant:


  5. #755
    Heavy Hitter



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    66,412

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    No he isn't saying any such thing.
    That is an absurd take on his answer to a question.



    The onus is on you to prove your claim true, not on me to prove it untrue.
    As it stands, it is nothing more than a lie.


    First of all?
    First of all you are being ridiculous with such a claim.
    He was speaking of his own personal experience.
    And the blues being invented many years earlier has nothing to do with supporting your ridiculous claim.






    He never said any such thing.

    This is nothing more than the manifestations of your convoluted and biased thoughts.
    There you go, making unsubstantiated assertions. One after another.

    We know what Phil said. We k ow the racial history around what he said. There is no denying the reality. Phil is either a dumb ass or a racist, or maybe both.

  6. #756
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,837

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the teachings of Christ. I'm just not a hypocrite like most American Christians.
    In what way? Because through your words in this thread I don't see those teachings getting through to you in any sense other than your contempt for Christians as a group. So unless you are talking about being a huge fan in terms of studying the teachings for some academic thought exercise, then I don't believe a word of what you are saying here. I mean, think about it, in the same sentence you claim to be a student of Jesus' teachings, you call his followers hypocrites. So, do me a favor, and don't blaspheme any more in trying to make your bigoted argument. You don't know what you are talking about, and don't understand a crucial component of using scripture, which is belief in, and practice of. In fact the bible speaks of people like you as well....

    "as also in all his zepistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures."

    2Peter 3:16

    Nonsense. It's clear that Robertson is saying "Blacks can't handle freedom." What else is he saying, when he says they were happier before civil rights?
    All you have to do is simply show where he states either, "Blacks can't handle freedom", or "...They [blacks] were happier before civil rights." Short of that, you have nothing other than you forming your own conclusion, and putting words in his mouth.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #757
    Heavy Hitter



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    66,412

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    In what way? Because through your words in this thread I don't see those teachings getting through to you in any sense other than your contempt for Christians as a group. So unless you are talking about being a huge fan in terms of studying the teachings for some academic thought exercise, then I don't believe a word of what you are saying here. I mean, think about it, in the same sentence you claim to be a student of Jesus' teachings, you call his followers hypocrites. So, do me a favor, and don't blaspheme any more in trying to make your bigoted argument. You don't know what you are talking about, and don't understand a crucial component of using scripture, which is belief in, and practice of. In fact the bible speaks of people like you as well....

    "as also in all his zepistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures."

    2Peter 3:16



    All you have to do is simply show where he states either, "Blacks can't handle freedom", or "...They [blacks] were happier before civil rights." Short of that, you have nothing other than you forming your own conclusion, and putting words in his mouth.
    If Jesus was their preacher, most people in the US would quit going to his church. Here.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PWSmcR4Dxdg

    I've already provided Phil's quote. It's up above, a few posts back.

  8. #758
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,837

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    If Jesus was their preacher, most people in the US would quit going to his church. Here.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PWSmcR4Dxdg

    I've already provided Phil's quote. It's up above, a few posts back.
    Is this your pastor?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #759
    Heavy Hitter



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    66,412

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Is this your pastor?
    Jesus is my pastor.

    I just don't believe him to be God, like you all do. In fact, I believe worshiping Christ as God is Idolatry.

  10. #760
    Believer
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,477

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Jesus is my pastor.

    I just don't believe him to be God, like you all do. In fact, I believe worshiping Christ as God is Idolatry.
    So you go to a Hispanic church?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •