Page 66 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116 ... LastLast
Results 651 to 660 of 1317

Thread: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

  1. #651
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I don't think so. Jesus came and brought a completely different message. That's why the Old Testament is separate from the New.
    Yeah! That's it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #652
    Is Idiot Supreme
    Davo The Mavo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    11-08-17 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,999

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Where Phil grew up, there were no theaters with balconies. Out in the country, there were no water fointains, or public toilets and the nearest resurant was too far to walk to and people--white and black--didn't have money to spare to eat at a resturant, anyway. It's probable that Robertson didn't see any of that.
    Yep, because TV, newspapers, and newsreels did not exist. Jim Crow, lynchings, and the Klan were never discussed, or even acknowledged in the deep south when he was coming up . . . and apparently, all the way up to this very day by many.

  3. #653
    Guru
    annata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    beneath the bodi tree
    Last Seen
    02-16-17 @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,163

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Not really. Science does not explain origin of life, yet alone all of existence. I hide behind nothing. I stand exposed to forces, both known and unknown, staring at the random nature of cold hard reality without the comfort of make believe.
    New Findings Challenge Assumptions about the Origins of Life | SciTech Daily
    they are pretty close to nailing it down.
    Oṃ maṇi padme hūṃ

  4. #654
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,324

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I'm saying his perspective may be different than your's. Did you grow up in the south, or are you going by what you've been told?
    No, calamity is so obviously going by infusing her own preconceived biases, and stereotypes into Phil's answers because "she just knows" what is in his heart without ever meeting the man, let alone getting to know him. She takes an article written by a columnist that was out to give Phil Robertson an unflattering interview portrayal....

    Her perspective of him can be nothing other, because deep down, and at the surface she despises anyone that thinks, of believes differently than her own settled mind about Christianity, the political right, gun owners, etc....Her mind is made up of what she agrees with, and when the holes in logic, or knowledge appear, she just fills them with her own speculation. Truth be damned.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #655
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Speaking of how some Christians like Phil selectively choose their poutrage...
    It has already been explained to you. That is not being done.
    So stop with the faux outrage when you already know.


    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Actually, if you look at all the Quotes from Jesus, he never mentions Homosexuality, but he sure does talk a lot about loving your neighbors: friends, enemies and sinners alike; and of helping the poor. I wonder why Phil and so few Christians here on DP focus on that part of following Christ? Maybe you guys are actually rejecting Christ and instead are all following Satan.

    It wouldn't surprise me. Christ is love. What Phil rambled on about was not love; it was hate. I see a lot of hate directed at Gays from supposed Christians here in DP.
    He was speaking about what was sin. That is not speaking hate.
    You might want to learn the difference.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  6. #656
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,677

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by DiavoTheMiavo View Post
    Yep, because TV, newspapers, and newsreels did not exist. Jim Crow, lynchings, and the Klan were never discussed, or even acknowledged in the deep south when he was coming up . . . and apparently, all the way up to this very day by many.
    I can honestly say that I have never personally seen anyone hit by lightning, bitten by a shark, abducted by a UFO or placed in a gas chamber because they were Jewish but I do not deny that has occurred. Hearing something discussed, or seeing a recording of it occurring elsewhere, is not to say that one is lying in stating that they never personally saw it happen.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  7. #657
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    “I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person," Robertson is quoted in GQ. "Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field.... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”

    No....Im sorry. You CANNOT "accidentally" mistake those words. And if you are being honest you will admit that most people that made their comments about that paragraph did so without ever once actually READING it.
    Yes, he said black people were happier pre-civil rights. Most of us find that, at the very least, off-putting if not downright appalling.

  8. #658
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Do you understand what "freedom of speech" actually means? Hint: It does not mean that groups like GLAAD aren't allowed to criticize you.
    Apparently gay/lesbians are supposed to just shut up and take discrimination and nasty speech against them. But religious people, "pro" family organizations, NOM are free to say what they want, boycott who they want, sue who they want as long as they are anti-gay.

  9. #659
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    . Most of us find that, at the very least, off-putting if not downright appalling.
    At least the good folks among us do.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  10. #660
    Educator
    Slyhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    06-22-15 @ 03:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,041

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    I can honestly say that I have never personally seen anyone hit by lightning, bitten by a shark, abducted by a UFO or placed in a gas chamber because they were Jewish but I do not deny that has occurred. Hearing something discussed, or seeing a recording of it occurring elsewhere, is not to say that one is lying in stating that they never personally saw it happen.
    I've been hit by lightning and survived. I've seen someone almost hit by lightning, black scorch mark right next to his foot where it hit. You believe in ufo's? Does Santa ride on them?
    Islam is an antiquated religion and needs to either modernize with the times or be completely eradicated.
    There are two types of Muslims, terrorists, and their enablers. They need to fix that if they want to be part of civilized society.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •