Page 64 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114 ... LastLast
Results 631 to 640 of 1317

Thread: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

  1. #631
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,860

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Kobie GLAAD demanded in their statement to A&E and the sponsors reevaluate their relationship with Phil because their claim was that his views "flew in the face" of true Christians and Louisianans. Yet what every "Christian" or person who has read the Bible knows what he said was paraphrased what can be found in Scripture. And the people of Louisiana in many communities including its Governor have done nothing but support Phil Robertson. So yes it was a huge defeat for GLAAD because everything they claimed flew back in their face to bite them.

  2. #632
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,674

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I'm not sure that's true. Humans are born to make connections. It's what we do. "My experience" is only mentioned to address a larger point. It's how communication works.
    “I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person," Robertson is quoted in GQ. "Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field.... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”

    No....Im sorry. You CANNOT "accidentally" mistake those words. And if you are being honest you will admit that most people that made their comments about that paragraph did so without ever once actually READING it.

  3. #633
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,903

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Chopping cotton is a great equalizer. My father did just that...in rural Louisiana. And after he had completed his training and opened his own office in 1958, it was integrated. So I don't take too seriously either Phil Robertson's remarks or the eagerness to cast him as a racist.

  4. #634
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    “I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person," Robertson is quoted in GQ. "Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field.... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”

    No....Im sorry. You CANNOT "accidentally" mistake those words. And if you are being honest you will admit that most people that made their comments about that paragraph did so without ever once actually READING it.
    I actually think the opposite us true.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #635
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    The only reason they are not in the same playing field is because you choose to not put eating shellfish and gay sex in the same ballpark. The Bible makes no such distinction. But feel free to prove your point.

    Their not being on the same playing filed has nothing to do with me.

    You seeing them as on the same playing filed when they are not, has everything to do with you and your own biases.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  6. #636
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    “I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person," Robertson is quoted in GQ. "Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field.... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”

    No....Im sorry. You CANNOT "accidentally" mistake those words. And if you are being honest you will admit that most people that made their comments about that paragraph did so without ever once actually READING it.
    Btw thus us the context:

    Phil On Growing Up in Pre-Civil-Rights-Era Louisiana.

    It was better before civil rights. That's the obvious connection.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #637
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    It was better before civil rights. That's the obvious connection.
    No, his personal experience makes no such connection.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  8. #638
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    'Ya know, I think both the Liberals and Conservatives on this board are posting asshattishness here. Let me explain.....

    1) OK, Phil Robertson said some outlandish things and A&E suspended him. Conservatives rushed to his defense, and Liberals are smacking him.

    2) Flash back to 2002, when Bill Maher had a show on ABC called "Politically Incorrect". He was fired for saying that the terrorists who hit the World Trade Center had guts. That was also outlandish. in this case, Liberals rushed to defend him, while Conservatives smacked him.

    Just pointing out that there is a little hypocrisy on both sides of the political divide. Let us not forget that both ABC and A&E are not the government. They are privately owned companies, and their stockholders don't want the kind of controversy people like this generate. In the case of ABC, they wanted political humor, and in the case of A&E, they just wanted a good reality TV show. Neither of these cases is about trampling of first Amendment rights, so please - Both sides - Quit your bull**** astroturf dramas, and let's get down to discussing some real issues. Homeless veterans would be a good start. Do you care more about them, or is it the corporate pablum puke from the mass media that turns you on? I mean, with all the real issues at stake, which include the excesses of both the Obama and Bush administrations, you really want to make this bull**** an issue? Gimme a ****ing break!!
    So go and start a thread on it dana. Instead of trying derail this one...This is a popular controversy in the news, sorry you don't like that....But, just like with a tv show you don't like you change the channel until you find one you like, if you don't like the thread, see yourself out....simple.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #639
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,242

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Btw thus us the context:

    Phil On Growing Up in Pre-Civil-Rights-Era Louisiana.

    It was better before civil rights. That's the obvious connection.
    Perhaps he meant better in a "they knew their place" kind of way.

  10. #640
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,903

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    I don't think so. He placed himself alongside black coworkers in the field. The literal cotton field.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •