Page 55 of 132 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 550 of 1317

Thread: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

  1. #541
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,770

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Romans 14:1-23

    "As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand. One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind."
    And, you can't bring yourselves to interpret this teaching to also include those who have different sexual proclivities? After all, "God" made the homosexual desire and want relations with people of the same sex. Are you all saying God screwed up? Or maybe your God is a big meanie who puts such desires in the heads of millions and then severely punishes any who relent to temptation.

    I doubt it.

    But, what does seem clear to me is that He is saying: don't judge those who are different than you.

  2. #542
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,453
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    So if you made a comment outside of work about how stupid you apparently think Christianity and all Christians are and it got to your employer and he fired you for it, that would be completely fine with you?
    I wouldn't like it, but it wouldn't be a violation of my rights in any way.

    Actions have consequences. Some are social or economic.

    Think of it this way: you own a business frequented by gays.

    Are you violating your employees' rights by firing him for yelling "Faggot!" in the face of every one he serves?
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  3. #543
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    I suggest reading the Bible yourself.

    Common sense, reasoning and understanding are required.

    Leave your selective interpretation at the door.
    Face it, the bible is not fact, it is faith. Just like all the other religions out there and that's not a bad thing. You believe it and that's what is important, but it isn't fact. If it were fact, it would be undisputable and unfortunately it isn't undisputable.

  4. #544
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    I wouldn't like it, but it wouldn't be a violation of my rights in any way.

    Actions have consequences. Some are social or economic.

    Think of it this way: you own a business frequented by gays.

    Are you violating your employees' rights by firing him for yelling "Faggot!" in the face of every one he serves?
    There you're talking about doing something while at work. I'm talking about comments made not during work hours. Say your employer knows you post here, doesn't like what you've said and fires you for it. Still ok with it?

  5. #545
    Sage
    Lovebug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,880

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I saw a few minutes of Duck Dynasty recently, and OMG… it was stupid. I don't get the show. They are just white, southern, rednecks. I guess we are supposed to laugh at how stupid and childless those guys are or something…

    I just know that they are blown out of proportion. I am tired of seeing Duck Dynasty chi pets, towels, t shirts, Christmas albums, etc.

    If this family makes the decision to quit, because one of them got suspended, then that is their decision.
    I made a decision not to watch Glee or the Kardashians (sp?). Everyone is welcome to change the channel and watch what is to their liking.
    Who knows why the Duck show is a success, but they must be doing something right, or else they wouldn't have the ratings. Perhaps its a nice change to the surgically enhanced faces in the hollywood yuppie world. Fact is, we don't have to watch, but ratings reflect what people enjoy.

  6. #546
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    And, you can't bring yourselves to interpret this teaching to also include those who have different sexual proclivities? After all, "God" made the homosexual desire and want relations with people of the same sex. Are you all saying God screwed up? Or maybe your God is a big meanie who puts such desires in the heads of millions and then severely punishes any who relent to temptation.

    I doubt it.

    But, what does seem clear to me is that He is saying: don't judge those who are different than you.
    You're absolutely right, I don't judge those that sin....That isn't for me to do, and Phil didn't do that either. Ever heard the phrase, 'reject the sin, not the sinner'?

    This whole flap is because of the intolerance of people that don't understand that simple point. They (including you) are conflating 'rejecting the sin' with denouncing the sinners. It is a contortion that is twisting your argument into a pretzel as we speak. I mean, myself and others have already shown you that your claims about what the bible says on a host of things from what to eat, all the way to adultery is indeed a sin, but that there are differences in how one approaches the Old, from the New testaments...That you choose to ignore this reality in belief, and practice is telling about just how you want to twist God's word to use against those that believe in it. IMHO, it is a despicable thing to do, and is equally spoken out against in the bible. So, it is not for me to judge you, but I can pray for you.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #547
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    I wouldn't like it, but it wouldn't be a violation of my rights in any way.

    Actions have consequences. Some are social or economic.

    Think of it this way: you own a business frequented by gays.

    Are you violating your employees' rights by firing him for yelling "Faggot!" in the face of every one he serves?
    Oh and regarding that whole "consequences don't infringe on free speech" argument, I'm lazy and I'm just going to repost what I posted somewhere else.


    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    By that rationale, every place in the world has free speech since it's always about consequences. Go ahead and mock Muhammed in Iran because, short of cutting everyone tongue out, they can't prevent it and afterall, free speech is not hindered because anything that would happen to that person afterwards is just consequences of that speech.

  8. #548
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,770

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    I suggest reading the Bible yourself.

    Common sense, reasoning and understanding are required.

    Leave your selective interpretation at the door.
    Common sense and the Bible do not Jibe. It starts with the silly notion of a flood and all the animals being saved by a man with a boat. It moves on to describing a birth that was conceived free of intercourse; proceeds to a martyr raised from the dead, and ends with the most ridiculous science fiction I've read since writing my own in highschool.

  9. #549
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,453
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    There you're talking about doing something while at work. I'm talking about comments made not during work hours. Say your employer knows you post here, doesn't like what you've said and fires you for it. Still ok with it?
    Wouldn't like it, its happening to folks now. Facebook and all that.

    Employers get to check my credit score. And anything else in the public record.

    Still not a violation of the first.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  10. #550
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,528

    re: 'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much [W:1111]

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    And it makes sense to you that the hosts of a reality show aren't that much interested in airing the reality of the show?

    And to you, Merry Christmas.
    Dunno, Mac...

    In the show biz world not a lot makes sense other than, by design of course, it's all about making money.

    There's an unpredictable type of relationship between networks, product and services sponsors, etc. and the viewers. They usually have a love/indifference relationship.

    When one or more of these three faction's feelings get hurt by the other (or shamed by the other)...then the nasty tabloid games begin and the fray will drag out just long enough to steal the zeal of the controversial program.

    A&E will survive without Ducks...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •