Page 96 of 152 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146 ... LastLast
Results 951 to 960 of 1516

Thread: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage[W:780]

  1. #951
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    I quoted again and again and again where the courts said exactly what I say they did.
    The courts have not said anything about what I said. The laws are what we are talking about. The laws prevent two people of the same sex from getting married, no matter their sexuality. There is no sexuality question or test when it comes to marriage. Two homosexuals can get married, as long as they are of the opposite sex.

    The reason the law discriminates mainly against homosexuals is because homosexuals are the main group that would want to marry someone of the same sex. However, that does not change the fact that the laws discriminate against everyone, not just homosexuals. I, as a heterosexual, am being discriminated against with the laws restricting marriage to only opposite sex couples because should I ever be in the position to choose to remarry in the future (for whatever reason), as of right now, I can only choose to marry a man because I am a woman. My gender, not my sexuality is restricting who I can marry.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #952
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    I quoted again and again and again where the courts said exactly what I say they did.
    And I've explained to you again and again that the courts have said that the discrimination is against homosexuals. This is true.

    However, the tool used for that discrimination is a gender-based classification, not one of sexuality. It's really not that difficult. Defining a marriage as between one man and one woman is a gender-based classification, not a sexuality-based classification. The effect and intent of this, obviously, is discriminating against homosexuals.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #953
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    And I've explained to you again and again that the courts have said that the discrimination is against homosexuals. This is true.

    However, the tool used for that discrimination is a gender-based classification, not one of sexuality. It's really not that difficult. Defining a marriage as between one man and one woman is a gender-based classification, not a sexuality-based classification. The effect and intent of this, obviously, is discriminating against homosexuals.
    State discrimination is legal.

  4. #954
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    This is a very important question I've never seen a right-winger answer directly and clearly.
    What harm is caused to them if two dudes get married? Never a real answer. Just some bull**** about moral fabric.
    The answer is there is no personal harm. It's the question though that's the problem. If your next door neighbor (we'll call him Jimmy) gets his brains blown out during a drug deal 30 miles away - what harm is caused to you? That would assume then that people killing other people, as long as it's not you, is fine. The assumption that two dudes getting married causes harm is the fallacy.... does something have to cause personal harm for someone to be against it? One would think so given the question. (That may be why you don't get a straight answer).
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #955
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    State discrimination is legal.
    not when it violates individual civil/equal rights, this is way the court cases that have made it to SSCs have been ruled on based on equality and the discrimination was found to be illegal
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #956
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    State discrimination is legal.
    Only if the state is able to show that some sort of legitimate state interest is furthered by that discrimination. When it comes to discrimination within marriage based on sex/gender, there is no state interest furthered.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #957
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Only if the state is able to show that some sort of legitimate state interest is furthered by that discrimination. When it comes to discrimination within marriage based on sex/gender, there is no state interest furthered.
    And you approve of state discrimination?

  8. #958
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    And you approve of state discrimination?
    I approve of certain state discrimination. For instance, I believe age discrimination is completely fine when it comes to certain issues (voting age, driving age). I believe in discrimination when it comes to kinship, as in, if a person holds a certain legal kinship to another, then they should be considered the ones to make decisions for that person if necessary and/or heirs to that person, above complete strangers. These are both forms of discrimination that serve a purpose and further a state interest.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #959
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I approve of certain state discrimination. For instance, I believe age discrimination is completely fine when it comes to certain issues (voting age, driving age). I believe in discrimination when it comes to kinship, as in, if a person holds a certain legal kinship to another, then they should be considered the ones to make decisions for that person if necessary and/or heirs to that person, above complete strangers. These are both forms of discrimination that serve a purpose and further a state interest.
    Okay, well I do not support state discrimination for any reason, and most certainly not the state racial and gender discrimination that occurs.

  10. #960
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,019

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    Not real is how you describe rights then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Please show where I ever said such a thing. Or prove that there are no rights that that federal entity protects and interprets.
    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    If they just protect them does that mean they exist outside of the US?
    I'm sorry, I dont understand how your question answers my question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •