Page 88 of 152 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138 ... LastLast
Results 871 to 880 of 1516

Thread: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage[W:780]

  1. #871
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I would disapprove and it would still be wrong, but it won't happen anyway so it will be marriage. You need to simply deal with it. Most attempts to call it something other than marriage have failed and in fact will likely be the basis of major lawsuits now that DOMA is dead when it comes to state laws that say as much. Overall, it is illogical and inefficient to have two different names for the same thing simply because some do not approve of the use of the word "marriage" when it comes to same sex couples. Those that do not approve of it just need to get over it. You/they do not own the word marriage nor whom it covers.
    I know you would disapprove because the "benefits, privileges, and legal protections" are not what they are fighting for. They just want the word, as is shown in your post.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    What state?
    At the very least the federal state.

  2. #872
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    I know you would disapprove because the "benefits, privileges, and legal protections" are not what they are fighting for. They just want the word, as is shown in your post.

    At the very least the federal state.
    I would disapprove because it is wrong and unfair, and I was taught that fairness is very important in life.

    I have used this analogy before. If you had a group of kids who were given a box of brand new crayons to color with, and then another group of kids comes in and is told by the first group that they can only use the broken crayons (the broken crayons having all of the same colors the new contained) and that the new group of kids could never use the new crayons, would it be fair? Would it be right to allow this? Why? Simply because the first group of kids was there first?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #873
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,670

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post


    At the very least the federal state.

    What federal state? I never heard of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #874
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    What federal state? I never heard of that.
    The federal state.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I would disapprove because it is wrong and unfair, and I was taught that fairness is very important in life.

    I have used this analogy before. If you had a group of kids who were given a box of brand new crayons to color with, and then another group of kids comes in and is told by the first group that they can only use the broken crayons (the broken crayons having all of the same colors the new contained) and that the new group of kids could never use the new crayons, would it be fair? Would it be right to allow this? Why? Simply because the first group of kids was there first?
    Unfair? They receive all the same "benefits, privileges, and legal protections" its just the word marriage does not need to be redefined.

    Broken is not the same "benefits, privileges, and legal protections."

  5. #875
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,670

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    The federal state.


    No idea what that is. Googled it, only got 'federation.'


    Got anything else?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #876
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    The federal state.

    Unfair? They receive all the same "benefits, privileges, and legal protections" its just the word marriage does not need to be redefined.

    Broken is not the same "benefits, privileges, and legal protections."
    The crayons would still work. They would still provide the exact same benefits of the new crayons. There would be no difference in their performance just as you are "offering" when it comes to something like marriage. There would be no difference, yet you seem to be saying that you believe it would be unfair to give one group of children nothing but broken crayons while another got new ones.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #877
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The crayons would still work. They would still provide the exact same benefits of the new crayons. There would be no difference in their performance just as you are "offering" when it comes to something like marriage. There would be no difference, yet you seem to be saying that you believe it would be unfair to give one group of children nothing but broken crayons while another got new ones.
    You specifically said they are broken, that is different. Now if you told me they were call cruyons, it would be closer to what was referenced.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    No idea what that is.
    Okay.

  8. #878
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    You specifically said they are broken, that is different. Now if you told me they were call cruyons, it would be closer to what was referenced.

    Okay.
    "Broken" does not mean unusable for crayons or are you unaware of how crayons and coloring with crayons works? I have used probably thousands of broken crayons in my lifetime to color with.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #879
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    "Broken" does not mean unusable for crayons or are you unaware of how crayons and coloring with crayons works? I have used probably thousands of broken crayons in my lifetime to color with.
    The word is different not the "benefits, privileges, and legal protections," or in your scenario malformed, broken, or destroyed crayons.

  10. #880
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    The word is different not the "benefits, privileges, and legal protections," or in your scenario malformed, broken, or destroyed crayons.
    I didn't say "destroyed" crayons. I said broken crayons. You are trying to work around the analogy because you know that it isn't fair. The broken crayons are completely usable and absolutely comparable to your suggestion.

    But how about this? What if a public school gave out Crayolas to certain kids, based on perhaps skin color or gender or eye color or hair color, and the other kids had to color with offbrand crayons because they didn't have the right skin color, gender, eye color, or hair color? Would it be fair?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •