Page 51 of 152 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 1516

Thread: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage[W:780]

  1. #501
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,133

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    I'm not sure you are responding to the right person.

    I do not support state intervention (which would be "dictating the terms for everyone else").
    You want to strip the state from marriage because you don't want the state involved in your marriage. Instead of making that decision on behalf of everyone why don't you just not get married?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  2. #502
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    You want to strip the state from marriage because you don't want the state involved in your marriage. Instead of making that decision on behalf of everyone why don't you just not get married?
    There is no reason for the government to be involved in marriage. You don't need the government to form a private contract. Hell, you don't even need any of that to live with someone for the rest of your life. The entire thing is pointless.

  3. #503
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,133

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    There is no reason for the government to be involved in marriage. You don't need the government to form a private contract. Hell, you don't even need any of that to live with someone for the rest of your life. The entire thing is pointless.
    True. You don't need the government involved in marriage. For those who like the government recognizing their marriage, leave them be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  4. #504
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    True. You don't need the government involved in marriage. For those who like the government recognizing their marriage, leave them be.
    I said nothing about eliminating the government marriages of those people married. I'm just saying there is no reason to give out more government marriages. The government is not needed for marriages to take place and for people to form their own contracts.

  5. #505
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,133

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I said nothing about eliminating the government marriages of those people married. I'm just saying there is no reason to give out more government marriages. The government is not needed for marriages to take place and for people to form their own contracts.
    If there are people who want to get married and have government marriages then who are you to dictate that they cannot have them? Why must you dictate the terms of other people's marriages?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  6. #506
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    There's no reason everyone can't have it with the state involved.
    Apparently, 'if the state is involved' it may have one definition ONLY and that can never change.

    But if the definition MUST be changed, then the state should not be involved. (it was only 'ok' when it was 1 man/1 woman).

    So...state ONLY if <fill in your personal blank> /sarcasm

    I've never been in support of govt involvement in 'marriage' and I dont think that much of the institution myself. We had a choice, discussed it, and lived together more yrs than alot of people stay married. And then when it was done...no fuss, no muss. Social pressure affects people the most *IMO*. We got alot of pressure...from parents, from married friends (but not single friends, lol). I think it's great to have something recognized by your religion or traditions, but not being married does not mean disrespect for the commitment.

    But the govt IS involved in marriage now...no use bitching about it...I dont mind as long as they apply it 'equally.' And yeah, that does change with society and culture and the recognition of people's rights
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #507
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    You want to strip the state from marriage because you don't want the state involved in your marriage. Instead of making that decision on behalf of everyone why don't you just not get married?
    Remove state intervention in marriage doesn't involve myself into any marriages.

  8. #508
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    If there are people who want to get married and have government marriages then who are you to dictate that they cannot have them? Why must you dictate the terms of other people's marriages?
    Your argument is irrational. No one is stopping them from getting married. When the government is involved in marriage they are coming up with terms of marriage and the contract. If the government were to step aside then no one would be involved in peoples marriages except those involved in the marriage itself.
    Last edited by Henrin; 12-29-13 at 02:41 AM.

  9. #509
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,133

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    Remove state intervention in marriage doesn't involve myself into any marriages.
    If you do not want state intervention in your marriage then do not get a state marriage. Why is that so hard? Why do you want to eliminate the option for people who want state marriages?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  10. #510
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,133

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Your argument is irrational. No one is stopping them from getting married. When the government is involved in marriage they are coming up with terms of marriage and the contract. If the government were to step aside then no one would be involved in peoples marriages except those involved in the marriage itself.
    People can currently form their own marriages through contracts and religious services without getting a state license. Nobody currently has to rely on the government. However, some people like state marriages. So why do you want to eliminate state marriages for people who would like to have them? That seems irrational to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •