Page 45 of 152 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 450 of 1516

Thread: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage[W:780]

  1. #441
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    Not sure if you were agreeing with me or not?

    If nature intended us only to have sex when we can procreate, women would go into heat once a year, she would have sex with one or more men, and then be done with it.

    That obviously doesn't happen with the human animal. Nature has said that we can have sex whenever we like. So why shouldn't we? And any way we want it?
    I have never argued that it is unnatural for a man and a woman to have natural sex when she isn't having her period.

  2. #442
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    "Rights" must first be acknowledged.
    By whom? And why? If Utah passed a law saying all women with blonde hair can be killed, would there be no violation of rights until the courts ruled there was? Of course not. The rights of the women would be violated regardless of the courts remaining silent or passing judgement.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  3. #443
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    By whom? And why? If Utah passed a law saying all women with blonde hair can be killed, would there be no violation of rights until the courts ruled there was? Of course not. The rights of the women would be violated regardless of the courts remaining silent or passing judgement.
    Utah doesn't make "rights."

    SCOTUS has already addressed life, and the "right" to it.

  4. #444
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    I have never argued that it is unnatural for a man and a woman to have natural sex when she isn't having her period.

    ROFL!! only when she isn't having her period? Paleocon, you keep digging yourself deeper and deeper.

    and you still haven't given a reasonable reason for why sodomy isn't "natural" sex.

  5. #445
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    ROFL!! only when she isn't having her period? Paleocon, you keep digging yourself deeper and deeper.

    and you still haven't given a reasonable reason for why sodomy isn't "natural" sex.
    Because it, by it's very nature, is not conducive to the proper end of sex.

  6. #446
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,721

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    Not sure if you were agreeing with me or not?

    If nature intended us only to have sex when we can procreate, women would go into heat once a year, she would have sex with one or more men, and then be done with it.

    That obviously doesn't happen with the human animal. Nature has said that we can have sex whenever we like. So why shouldn't we? And any way we want it?
    You're onto it Paddy. Genetically (& thus physically) we are designed to *enjoy* (not just have) sex frequently (not just within a reproductive period or cycle) because humans have young that require a long time to become independent and that intimacy and bond are required to help keep the male involved in the family as a protector and provider. Reader's Digest version of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #447
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,721

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    Is it ordered by nature to procreation?
    It is ordered by nature to enable & maintain pair bonds...and the extended families which supported the greater survival of the familial and communal group. The more 'related' people involved n the raising and protecting the children, the higher the success rates of juveniles reaching reproductive age. So I suppose we are talking about 'grandparents' here....or older. Their genes were just as invested in the reproduction of other family members as with their own young.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #448
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,731

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    No. I don't.
    Ok then. We've successfully established that your procreation argument is bull****.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    Because it, by it's very nature, is not conducive to the proper end of sex.
    But you've just admitted that the procreation aspect becomes irrelevant under some circumstances. Therefore this isn't a principle you actually believe in. You're just applying this selectively in an attempt to justify your personal disgust of homosexual behavior.
    Last edited by Deuce; 12-28-13 at 12:27 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #449
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    You're onto it Paddy. Genetically (& thus physically) we are designed to *enjoy* (not just have) sex frequently (not just within a reproductive period or cycle) because humans have young that require a long time to become independent and that intimacy and bond are required to help keep the male involved in the family as a protector and provider. Reader's Digest version of course.
    Well-said, Lursa!

    Sorry, Paleocon, your arguments still aren't rational. Nature built us so that reproduction isn't the only goal of sex. Therefore, doing activities that don't further reproduction aren't "unnatural"

  10. #450
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    Utah doesn't make "rights."
    Strawman.

    SCOTUS has already addressed life, and the "right" to it.
    And SCOTUS has already addressed marriage, and the right to that as well. However, just as SCOTUS has not addressed whether denying the right to marriage to same-sex couples is constitutional, it has also not addressed whether denying the right to life to women with blonde hair is constitutional. Thus, by your own argument, if such a law were passed women with blonde hair do not have a right to live, and only when the court says the law is unconstitutional do they gain such a right.

    Rights exist before SCOTUS affirms their existence. If you deny such, you get absurd results. That is the piece of the puzzle you are missing.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •