Page 4 of 152 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 1516

Thread: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage[W:780]

  1. #31
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,844

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    You do when they're not rights, or when they are rights granted solely by the states.
    Marriage is a right.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #32
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,844

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    By the way, Disneydude, you've gotten the last blue state you're going to get
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #33
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    I love the fact that Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker said that he is willing to work all night to marry any person who wants to get a marriage license today. What an awesome public servant!
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #34
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,844

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Bahahah the ruling tosses out a couple middle fingers to Justice Scalia. In his Windsor and Lawrence dissents, Scalia rants about a slippery slope of terrible gay rights. This judge concurs with Scalia's slippery slope. "Yep, no reason to deny these rights now!"

    The Honorable Antonin Scalia recognized that this result was the logical outcome of the Court’s ruling in Windsor:

    ...the real rationale of today’s opinion...is that DOMA is motivated by “bare...desire to harm” couples in same-sex marriages. How easy it is, indeed how inevitable, to reach the same conclusion with regard to state laws denying same-sex couples marital status.
    The court therefore agrees with the portion of Justice Scalia’s dissenting opinion in Lawrence

    ...what justification could there possibly be for denying the benefits of marriage to homosexual couples exercising “the liberty protected bythe Constitution”?
    And, as Justice Scalia has noted in dissent, “‘preserving the traditional institution of marriage’ is just a kinder way of describing the State’s moral disapproval of same-sex couples.”
    This is my favorite ruling ever.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #35
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    congrats Utah!.jpg

    I lived in Utah for 25 years before moving to California. Never thought that I would see this day. Congratulations Utah. A great day for Utah and a great day for Freedom loving Americans across this great Country.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  6. #36
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,908

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Yeah, because turning the 66% of voters that voted to put traditional marriage as the definition of marriage for their state into second class citizens and saying their right to vote and the states ability to define marriage for itself made an "irrational" decision is "cool."

    It's not cool, it's sick and such a massive injustice against freedom and human rights. Regardless of your stance on SSM, this is wrong on so many levels.
    Civil rights should not be left up to a vote.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  7. #37
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    utah gay marriage.jpg

    Current line in Salt Lake City, people waiting to get marriage licenses. Mayor Ralph Becker said that he will work all night to make sure everyone who wants to get married can take advantage of this ruling.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #38
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Civil rights should not be left up to a vote.
    Exactly. If they were up to votes, then inter-racial marriages would not have been legalized in the 60s.

  9. #39
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    You do when they're not rights, or when they are rights granted solely by the states.
    Marriage is not a right but because *the govt* (state and fed) provides benefits, privileges, and legal protections for marriage, it is discrimination to deny gays the right to marriage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #40
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Marriage is not a right but because *the govt* (state and fed) provides benefits, privileges, and legal protections for marriage, it is discrimination to deny gays the right to marriage.
    Actually...its both. The USSC recognized marriage as a fundamental right in Loving v. Virginia. It also, however, implicates due process and equal protection as well. Discriminatory state action is not per se Unconstitutional. If the state has a legitimate state interest in the discriminatory treatment, the law will be upheld. The problem for marriage equality opponents is that they have not been able to frame a legitimate state interest in denying gay people the right to marry.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 4 of 152 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •