Page 34 of 152 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 1516

Thread: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage[W:780]

  1. #331
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    It did until 2003.
    No, it didn't. The constitution doesn't change based on supreme court rulings. The constitution provides guidelines for how to determine issues like this. It does not have a simple list. The constitution did not allow for the criminalization of consensual sex acts like these since the passage of the 14th amendment. That no one had gone through the proper legal channels to determine this does not mean that when they did, in 2003, that the text or meaning of the constitution changed. It still says the same things it always did, only now it has been applied to this specific question. That's how American law and jurisprudence actually works.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  2. #332
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,564

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    I find your calling leftists ignorant and intolerant offensive.
    You have to do better than that! Jeez.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  3. #333
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,564

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    The only person that I see talking about slavery on this thread is you.

    The rest of us are talking about marriage.
    You forgot something. A point.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  4. #334
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,564

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Nope. Tried to educate you. You simply demonstrated that you aren't willing to learn. Not gonna waste my time on people who refuse to learn. Sorry.
    You can't educate someone unless you have something to offer. You choose not to reply, and bug out. So quit the act.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  5. #335
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,564

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    That's also been covered previously in this discussion. You just keep ignoring it. Sorry, I'm not reposting what other people have written.
    Just giving you a response clearly stating my position. If it's been posted somewhere in the thread, then fine.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  6. #336
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    would the founders have killed you imprisoned you for being gay..... no.

    the problem on the issue of being gay is .....when people try to force their ideas, and their way of life on other people.

    freedom means people have the right to reject how other people lives their life's

    however we live in a time, where others do not want that rejection, and are bound and determined to use the force of law, to make others accept them..
    Learn history. It might teach you something.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    No, it didn't. The constitution doesn't change based on supreme court rulings. The constitution provides guidelines for how to determine issues like this. It does not have a simple list. The constitution did not allow for the criminalization of consensual sex acts like these since the passage of the 14th amendment. That no one had gone through the proper legal channels to determine this does not mean that when they did, in 2003, that the text or meaning of the constitution changed. It still says the same things it always did, only now it has been applied to this specific question. That's how American law and jurisprudence actually works.
    They did go through the proper legal channels, the SCOTUS ruled that sodomy laws were constitutional in 1978.

  7. #337
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,175
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    the problem on the issue of being gay is .....when people try to force their ideas, and their way of life on other people.

    freedom means people have the right to reject how other people lives their life's

    however we live in a time, where others do not want that rejection, and are bound and determined to use the force of law, to make others accept them..
    This was just posted on Reddit, and its pretty applicable to the 'freedom' mantra of being able to reject people and pass laws against them. Just substitute "gay," "muslim" or whatever you want with the word "Christian":


    "I have no problem with you being a Christian, but don't teach it in schools, or to my children. It's not being Christian that's wrong, it's the act that's wrong. The act of going to Church -- the act of praying. I have no problem with you being Christian, but do it in your home and keep it there. It's unnatural you see. No one is born Christian, you have to develop those beliefs, and it's a choice to act on Christian beliefs, such as going to Church or praying.

    And your religion shouldn't be legally recognized as a religion, because that would force me to accept Christianity as legitimate, and that would degrade my religion. So I'm going to fight for Traditional religion with a capital "T". If you want to have Christianity legally recognized and to get tax exempt status, then you would be stepping on my religious freedoms. I shouldn't have to recognize your religion as legitimate.

    Just to reiterate: I have no problem with Christians. Just the act of being Christian. I love Christians! You can be Christian all you want, just leave it at the home and don't talk about it to my children or bring it into society. Christianity shouldn't be legally recognized because that would force me to recognize it as legitimate, which I don't. I don't want to have to recognize it as equal under the protection of the law to my own religion. Freedom means people have the right to reject how other people live their lives.
    "
    Help fight Zika, TB, HIV/AIDs and water pollution by donating your CPU's excess processing time to scientific research.
    A self-serving billionaire engaging in historically massive personal corruption #NotMyPresident

  8. #338
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by brothern View Post
    This was just posted on Reddit, and its pretty applicable to the 'freedom' mantra of being able to reject people and pass laws against them. Just substitute "gay," "muslim" or whatever you want with the word "Christian":


    "I have no problem with you being a Christian, but don't teach it in schools, or to my children. It's not being Christian that's wrong, it's the act that's wrong. The act of going to Church -- the act of praying. I have no problem with you being Christian, but do it in your home and keep it there. It's unnatural you see. No one is born Christian, you have to develop those beliefs, and it's a choice to act on Christian beliefs, such as going to Church or praying.

    And your religion shouldn't be legally recognized as a religion, because that would force me to accept Christianity as legitimate, and that would degrade my religion. So I'm going to fight for Traditional religion with a capital "T". If you want to have Christianity legally recognized and to get tax exempt status, then you would be stepping on my religious freedoms. I shouldn't have to recognize your religion as legitimate.

    Just to reiterate: I have no problem with Christians. Just the act of being Christian. I love Christians! You can be Christian all you want, just leave it at the home and don't talk about it to my children or bring it into society. Christianity shouldn't be legally recognized because that would force me to recognize it as legitimate, which I don't. I don't want to have to recognize it as equal under the protection of the law to my own religion. Freedom means people have the right to reject how other people live their lives.
    "
    The difference of course is that Christianity is good whereas sodomy is bad.

  9. #339
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    They did go through the proper legal channels, the SCOTUS ruled that sodomy laws were constitutional in 1978.
    Do you have the name of the 1978 case? I've been able to find only a vague reference to it that suggests that it was anything but definitive. Lawrence v Texas doesn't mention such a case. My guess is that the court did not rule on the constitutionality of such laws at all in the 1978 case.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    The difference of course is that Christianity is good whereas sodomy is bad.
    I think you're just doing it wrong.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  10. #340
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Then it's a perfect match for your original comment. Which is of course why I made it.
    The rest of the country understands that one parents opinions are not what determines a school's curriculum

    Right wing nuts...not so much
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •