Page 27 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 1516

Thread: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage[W:780]

  1. #261
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    All well and good, but I don't like being called a bigot because I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman.

    And on a different level, it is an atrocious abuse of states rights when a federal judge's single opinion overturns the decision made by the people of that state. I
    t's not slavery, no one is being forced to hand their life over to someone else.



    The only person that I see talking about slavery on this thread is you.

    The rest of us are talking about marriage.

  2. #262
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,001

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    And does not address marriage in any way. And there's an idea. If you want gay unions to be enshrined in the Constitution as marriage, just amend it. After all, we've done it with citizenship and voting. It's the only sure fire way.
    They dont have to amend anything. Marriage doesnt have to be in the Constitution. This has been explained to you....you just dont like it.

    IF the govt (state or fed) provide benefits, privileges, or legal protections for something, like MARRIAGE, then they must do so equally...they cannot discriminate. It's not about marriage, it's about discrimination (from this particular legal point. THere are others).

    The govt may not discriminate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #263
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    The govt may not discriminate.
    You are apparently not aware of affirmative action in public schools and public jobs.

  4. #264
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,001

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    Gays can marry in every single state, just the majority of those states do not recognize that marriage.
    Is there a reason that gays are not entitled to the same state benefits, privileges, and legal protections as those recognized for straight couples?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #265
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Is there a reason that gays are not entitled to the same state benefits, privileges, and legal protections as those recognized for straight couples?
    Because the supreme court in the recent gay marriage cases made no argument that they are. And also majority force rule.

  6. #266
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    They dont have to amend anything. Marriage doesnt have to be in the Constitution. This has been explained to you....you just dont like it.

    IF the govt (state or fed) provide benefits, privileges, or legal protections for something, like MARRIAGE, then they must do so equally...they cannot discriminate. It's not about marriage, it's about discrimination (from this particular legal point. THere are others).

    The govt may not discriminate.
    Yes, they can. They just cannot discriminate against protected classes. We offer benefits for state workers that we do not offer to all, we offer the priviledge of driving to some and restrict who gets to drive, and on and on.

  7. #267
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Is there a reason that gays are not entitled to the same state benefits, privileges, and legal protections as those recognized for straight couples?
    They already are, just not with each other.

  8. #268
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,691

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    They dont have to amend anything. Marriage doesnt have to be in the Constitution. This has been explained to you....you just dont like it.

    IF the govt (state or fed) provide benefits, privileges, or legal protections for something, like MARRIAGE, then they must do so equally...they cannot discriminate. It's not about marriage, it's about discrimination (from this particular legal point. THere are others).

    The govt may not discriminate.
    Then please explain the need for the 15th and 19th amendments. While you are at it, please explain the need for the 18th (and thus the 21st) amendment since it took no such constitutional action to outlaw hundreds of other recreational drugs nationwide. The nonsense logic that "this is much like that", so therefore "that covers this too" is a very recent trick used by the SCOTUS. It is obvious to all that the 2A right differs greatly among the several states, yet no federal judge has seen fit to "fix" that unequal protection of the law.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  9. #269
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,578

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    They dont have to amend anything. Marriage doesnt have to be in the Constitution. This has been explained to you....you just dont like it.

    IF the govt (state or fed) provide benefits, privileges, or legal protections for something, like MARRIAGE, then they must do so equally...they cannot discriminate. It's not about marriage, it's about discrimination (from this particular legal point. THere are others).

    The govt may not discriminate.
    And you don't seem to get it. No state is saying gays can not get married. Anyone can marry someone of the opposite sex. You gay marriage people like to gloss over that part. So they are NOT discriminating, it is the same for all. You want marriage changed.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  10. #270
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,691

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Is there a reason that gays are not entitled to the same state benefits, privileges, and legal protections as those recognized for straight couples?
    Perhaps the same reason that beer/alcohol sales are restricted upon the Christian sabbath - tradition of the majority. Surly a constitutional "right" present since 1868 could not have gone unnoticed for such a long time and in nearly every state.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •