Page 25 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 1516

Thread: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage[W:780]

  1. #241
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    For no rational reason? He pretty much writes off the reasons that the majority of voters had when voting and is saying they are not rational. T
    his needs to be appealed and overturned, what a far far far overstepping of judicial rule.



    Utah is appealing it, but I very much doubt that the U.S. Supreme Court will overturn this.




    "Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself."~ Robert Green Ingersoll

  2. #242
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    If it goes to a citizen vote in that state, just IMO it would lose. Would a judge then be able to overturn it? They did in CA, but it was overturned again.

    In my state, the state legistature voted to legalize SSM, but according to state laws, the 'pro-family' organizations got enough signatures to force a citizens' vote...which they lost.

    All this back and forth is kind of a waste if the highest judicial systems are all pretty much on the same page and just going to overturn anything denying SSM.



    Correct.

    Ultimately the courts in this country decide what the laws actually say and which laws are constitutional.

  3. #243
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,566

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    The 14th grants the power to ensure that States do not infringe on the rights of citizens, that all are afforded due process and equal protection under the law.>>>>
    And does not address marriage in any way. And there's an idea. If you want gay unions to be enshrined in the Constitution as marriage, just amend it. After all, we've done it with citizenship and voting. It's the only sure fire way.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  4. #244
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    If it goes to a citizen vote in that state, just IMO it would lose. Would a judge then be able to overturn it? They did in CA, but it was overturned again.

    In my state, the state legistature voted to legalize SSM, but according to state laws, the 'pro-family' organizations got enough signatures to force a citizens' vote...which they lost.

    All this back and forth is kind of a waste if the highest judicial systems are all pretty much on the same page and just going to overturn anything denying SSM.



    Ultimately SSM will be legal all over the USA because the judges will decide that you can't grant a right to some people and deny it to others.




    "Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

  5. #245
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by beefheart View Post
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Can teh gayz go to Kolob?



    The Mormons can't stop gay people from getting married, but they might be able to keep them from landing on Kolob.

  6. #246
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Why are you against schools teaching about the civil rights movement? Just because it offends the "moral values" of some bigots?
    Because many parents don't consider gay marriage to be a civil rights issue. Yeah, yeah, save your breath, we already know you do.

  7. #247
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    You are starting from a flawed premise. The correct analysis would be "nothing in the Constitution prohibits the government from teaching values"....the Constitution is very clear about Government being involved in Religion. It really is that simple if you read and understand the Constitution.
    Try to keep your story straight. In one post you're arguing that religion does not equal values, and here you're saying they're the same. Which is it?

    Have YOU read and understood the Constitution? You wouldn't know it from your posts here.

  8. #248
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Because many parents don't consider gay marriage to be a civil rights issue. Yeah, yeah, save your breath, we already know you do.


    Why should anyone be allowed to refuse service to blacks just because their "moral values" tell them that blacks are "icky"?
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  9. #249
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Try to keep your story straight. In one post you're arguing that religion does not equal values, and here you're saying they're the same. Which is it?

    Have YOU read and understood the Constitution? You wouldn't know it from your posts here.
    I never said that religion does not equal values. You need to work on your reading comprehension. What I said was that "values" are not contingent on religion. Certainly religion instills a lot of values, but one can have values without religion (something that you may not have understood).
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #250
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Yeah, because the explanations provided are just "lipstick on a pig". There is no federal right to marry.



    I have the same view of your opinon on this matter
    .



    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on this matter, but the only opinion that will really matter in the long run is the opinion of the U.S. Supreme Court when it eventually rules on this.

    Does anyone really think that it will deny the right to marry to some people in the USA and grant that same right to others?

    I don't believe that will ever happen because it would violate the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment.




    "Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •