Page 24 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 1516

Thread: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage[W:780]

  1. #231
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,521

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    You are starting from a flawed premise. The correct analysis would be "nothing in the Constitution prohibits the government from teaching values"....the Constitution is very clear about Government being involved in Religion. It really is that simple if you read and understand the Constitution.
    Not true. The correct "premise" is that if the Constitution does not specifically grant a power to the federal government, then that power resides with the state or the people. The federal government does not have that power.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  2. #232
    Professor
    Tettsuo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 02:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    wrong.... the government has no moral authority at all...if it did, I could tell us what to eat drink and run our very lifes....nothing in any constitution givers government that authority
    Laws are in fact the government's way of displaying it's moral authority.
    A man without fear is a fool, a man that succumbs to his fear is a coward and a brave man acknowledges fear yet presses on.
    http://soulinblackandwhite.blogspot.com/

  3. #233
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,544

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    wrong.... the government has no moral authority at all...if it did, I could tell us what to eat drink and run our very lifes....nothing in any constitution givers government that authority
    Really? It has whatever authority is given to it by the people. Surly you see laws prohibiting bigamy as moral authority. I will agree that the federal gov't has far less moral authority than a state gov't does but to assert that no moral authority exists is absurd. We joined WWII (in Europe) based on moral authority, in fact most wars are now fought on moral grounds.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #234
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,521

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I actually am a lawyer and have been one for about 25 years... Loving v. Virginia was a case brought before the Virginia Supreme Court. There was no clear interpretation of the law. The holding in Loving thus became caselaw and binding "precedent" in the state of Virginia...and later the US Supreme Court. Thus, through Loving, the right to marriage was recognized as a fundamental right of this country.
    I really hope you are lying about being a lawyer. I mean, precedent is binding? Are you kidding? You must be the worst lawyer in the world. If it was binding, we'd still have slavery. Since, I guess you don't know this, it was ruled to be the law of the land. You don't even know how the Constitution works. OMG!
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  5. #235
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 10:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    Not true. The correct "premise" is that if the Constitution does not specifically grant a power to the federal government, then that power resides with the state or the people. The federal government does not have that power.

    The 14th grants the power to ensure that States do not infringe on the rights of citizens, that all are afforded due process and equal protection under the law.


    >>>>

  6. #236
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,544

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    The 14th grants the power to ensure that States do not infringe on the rights of citizens, that all are afforded due process and equal protection under the law.


    >>>>
    That is not the whole of it. Obviously the 2A is not equally applied by the states yet the federal gov't does not intervene. Unfortunately, rights are simply whatever the gov't says that they are. Our nine robed umpires have no power to toss penalty flags and may simply refuse to rule on a matter. There is also the silly requirement of "standing" meaning that one cannot challenge the constitutionality of a law unless they can show direct personal harm - often that would require breaking the law which is simply insane.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  7. #237
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,053

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    For no rational reason? He pretty much writes off the reasons that the majority of voters had when voting and is saying they are not rational. This needs to be appealed and overturned, what a far far far overstepping of judicial rule.
    Federal judges exist to protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority. People can not merely vote in a law that goes against the Constitution. The judge simply did his job.

    I am not making a statement of merits of the particular case, but we hear lots of complaints about judges going against the "will of the majority" and I am just saying that sometimes that is their job/

  8. #238
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    I really hope you are lying about being a lawyer. I mean, precedent is binding? Are you kidding? You must be the worst lawyer in the world. If it was binding, we'd still have slavery. Since, I guess you don't know this, it was ruled to be the law of the land. You don't even know how the Constitution works. OMG!
    You just demonstrated for all to see that you don't have a clue what you are talking about. Sorry....but it isn't worth the time trying to educate you.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  9. #239
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gay Marriage Ban Struck in Utah by Federal Judge

    Quote Originally Posted by brothern View Post
    That's, wow, out of the blue. The state can appeal the ruling, of course.
    I haven't been able to figure out if same-sex couples can have a license issued in the state of Utah, or not?
    Anyone?

    Federal judge strikes down Utah



    Obama appointment, btw.



    Lots of licenses have been issued and used. The Mormons in Utah are tearing their hair out and shoving it up their butts.

    Read about it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world/worl...anada-25501630

    I predict that any appeals that the State of Utah launches will not make it past the U.S. Supreme Court.




    "Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll.

  10. #240
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    Wow Utah. That's going to create some serious social backlash in that state.



    There are some happy and unhappy people in Utah right now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •