Page 20 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 1516

Thread: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage[W:780]

  1. #191
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Why are you against schools teaching about the civil rights movement? Just because it offends the "moral values" of some bigots?
    civil rights?

    government cannot discriminate....according to constitutional law......how did you and others determine it , to mean it applies to people/business, .. the constitution in no way limits people or business.

    if I try to teach you a religious set of moral valves ...are you going to be offended?.............yes you are., and claim there is a separation of church and state.

    why do you think you can teach a set of values which are not religious based, to me which is offensive to my religious values, and violate that separation of church and state.

    government can not make any laws, which interfere with a person religious beliefs.....it goes both way.

    why is it people who are not religious believe somehow they have some authority over other people.

  2. #192
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    civil rights?

    government cannot discriminate....according to constitutional law......how did you and others determine it , to mean it applies to people/business, .. the constitution in no way limits people or business.

    if I try to teach you a religious set of moral valves ...are you going to be offended?.............yes you are., and claim there is a separation of church and state.

    why do you think you can teach a set of values which are not religious based, to me which is offensive to my religious values, and violate that separation of church and state.

    government can not make any laws, which interfere with a person religious beliefs.....it goes both way.

    why is it people who are not religious believe somehow they have some authority over other people.
    Some people claim the universe is 4,000 years old because of their religious beliefs. Would you have us not teach kids the facts about how old the universe is?

    School is for facts. If you want to teach that minorities, gays, women are somehow "lesser" in your religion - do that at home. The govt is not stopping you from teaching your kids anything you want at home.

    But when they come to school, they learn the latest information that we have. That includes it's wrong to discriminate against people because they are minority, women or gay/lesbian. It includes that evolution happens. It includes the age of the universe as best as we know it (13.8 billion years).

    You don't like it? Your option is to home school or to put your kids in a religious school, NOT to insist the public school system teach according to your religious beliefs.



    After all, I assume you wouldn't like it if the schools taught kids according to Muslim beliefs, right? Or Greek/Roman god beliefs?

  3. #193
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    Some people claim the universe is 4,000 years old because of their religious beliefs. Would you have us not teach kids the facts about how old the universe is?

    School is for facts. If you want to teach that minorities, gays, women are somehow "lesser" in your religion - do that at home. The govt is not stopping you from teaching your kids anything you want at home.

    But when they come to school, they learn the latest information that we have. That includes it's wrong to discriminate against people because they are minority, women or gay/lesbian. It includes that evolution happens. It includes the age of the universe as best as we know it (13.8 billion years).

    You don't like it? Your option is to home school or to put your kids in a religious school, NOT to insist the public school system teach according to your religious beliefs.



    After all, I assume you wouldn't like it if the schools taught kids according to Muslim beliefs, right? Or Greek/Roman god beliefs?


    well this shows your don't understand what I am talking about. I have not wanted schools to teach religious valves, ...but I don't want schools teaching values, of those who happen to be seating in seats of power either.

    people have rights, and they should not be violated, because you or I or politcans think doing something is a good idea.

  4. #194
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,836

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    really, the introduction of homosexuality into the public school system is a violation of a person religious freedom, and since people are mandated by law to go to school, it makes it unconstitutional.

    discrimination laws, aimed at private business or individuals is also unconstitutional.

    it is government who cannot discriminate......not individuals or business.
    You can homeschool your kid or send them to private school if you do not like what's taught in a public school.

    And as I wrote somewhere else, no one is 'teaching' homosexuality' anymore than they are teaching 'heterosexuality.' What lifestyle? Their lives are exactly the same in every way except who they have sex with. Even the same sex acts are performed by some straight couples. They go to PTA, soccer games, put out the trash, have dinner together, help with homework, go on vacation, take their cars in for maintenance, shovel snow...how is their lifestyle different?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #195
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,836

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    thinking that a black person is not equal, and trying to exercise that on government property is not a right.....I have a right to exercise it on my own property.

    because when I exercise discrimination,..i am not committing a crime, because I am not violating anyone's rights.....and its not a health or safety issue.


    we have a separation of church and state, which prohibits the government from prevents the government from any activity concerning religion, meaning they cannot promote, or takes actions detractions from religion,...meaning you can make laws or polices which forces people...to do things or accept thing things, teaches things, against their religious beliefs...because the government is compelling them to go to school....if that person is not committing a crime of something which endangers health or safety.

    why is it people say, you cant teach your religion to me....

    but then say I can teach you my moral beliefs against your religious beliefs.
    You are right...but no one is teaching 'homosexuality.'

    And that's also why you cant teach creationism in science classes. I'm glad at least that is clear, so it's just that you dont like being around gays. Then you have the choice not to be or have your kids in a school with gay teachers....homeschool them or send them to private school.

    Or, teach your children what YOU BELIEVE at home, just like everyone else. How do you think being taught by a gay teacher will harm them? Again, it's not 'taught' and it's not contagious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #196
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,836

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    this is no answer....all your saying is I want things my way.
    You already admitted that the govt cant discriminate against them by not allowing them to teach. So if you dont want your kids taught by gays, those are your options.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #197
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,141

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    civil rights?

    government cannot discriminate....according to constitutional law......how did you and others determine it , to mean it applies to people/business, .. the constitution in no way limits people or business.

    if I try to teach you a religious set of moral valves ...are you going to be offended?.............yes you are., and claim there is a separation of church and state.

    why do you think you can teach a set of values which are not religious based, to me which is offensive to my religious values, and violate that separation of church and state.

    government can not make any laws, which interfere with a person religious beliefs.....it goes both way.

    why is it people who are not religious believe somehow they have some authority over other people.

    Because the Constitution requires a separation of church/state, not state and community values. It really is that simple.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #198
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    You are right...but no one is teaching 'homosexuality.'

    And that's also why you cant teach creationism in science classes. I'm glad at least that is clear, so it's just that you dont like being around gays. Then you have the choice not to be or have your kids in a school with gay teachers....homeschool them or send them to private school.

    Or, teach your children what YOU BELIEVE at home, just like everyone else. How do you think being taught by a gay teacher will harm them? Again, it's not 'taught' and it's not contagious.
    The left is constantly trying to brainwash our children. They tried it with my son and now my grand children.........It did not work with any of them.
    Last edited by Navy Pride; 12-23-13 at 11:11 PM.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  9. #199
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Because the Constitution requires a separation of church/state, not state and community values. It really is that simple.
    are you saying the bill of right applies only to states.....

    because under the original idea of the bill of rights, you would be correct..... however after the civil war, the USSC ruled the bill of rights now applies to the states.

    so its not that simple.
    Last edited by Master PO; 12-23-13 at 11:37 PM.

  10. #200
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    You can homeschool your kid or send them to private school if you do not like what's taught in a public school.

    And as I wrote somewhere else, no one is 'teaching' homosexuality' anymore than they are teaching 'heterosexuality.' What lifestyle? Their lives are exactly the same in every way except who they have sex with. Even the same sex acts are performed by some straight couples. They go to PTA, soccer games, put out the trash, have dinner together, help with homework, go on vacation, take their cars in for maintenance, shovel snow...how is their lifestyle different?
    really...then give those people who pay for schools thru their taxes....... their money back then.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •