Page 144 of 152 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146 ... LastLast
Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 1516

Thread: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage[W:780]

  1. #1431
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    So you seem to think if the majority vote one way on something say llike to deny gay marriage that should be the way it is right?
    Yes...

    It's called direct democracy - you know - the same reason why progressives were crying when Gore lost the election. Progressives seemed to be a big fan then of the idea.

    However, I'm not talking about national direct democracy I'm talking about state direct democracy - which exists for some issues - which is why voting propositions are on the ****ing ballot....

    Prop 8 is a perfect example of the general public in a state voting and the feds or some ****ing bent group running to a judge and having all that "democracy ****" overturned because progressives are authoritarians.

  2. #1432
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post

    Russia supports bigotry and discrimination we dont
    Actually the US enforces bigotry and discrimination, in some cases.

  3. #1433
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-22-17 @ 12:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,154

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    No, that ruling has been stayed. The law is valid, legal, and enforceable as of right now.

    I encourage them to sue before the 10th hears arguments.
    The ruling has not been stayed, only the marriages themselves. The ruling was valid and invalidated the law.

    It doesn't matter when the Circuit court takes the case. IF there marriages are being voided, then they have a valid case, no matter the results of the next court decision on this initial case.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #1434
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    01-19-18 @ 08:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,455

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    Actually the US enforces bigotry and discrimination, in some cases.
    we are talking about equal rights, thanks for your strawman but it fails like the rest of your posts lol
    Quote Originally Posted by RamFel View Post
    Genetically human & human being is exactly the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    homosexuality is objectively wrong, but because science tells me it is, not politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm not at risk for AIDS. Gays are.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajn678 View Post
    there is no such thing as an abortion on a dead fetus.

  5. #1435
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The ruling has not been stayed, only the marriages themselves. The ruling was valid and invalidated the law.

    It doesn't matter when the Circuit court takes the case. IF there marriages are being voided, then they have a valid case, no matter the results of the next court decision on this initial case.
    So the marriages are not valid during that time.

  6. #1436
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Posse Commitatus Act prevents the military from working within the borders of the US, although the NG could technically still help. And most military units would not be really effective in this case anyway.

    But there is plenty of law enforcement that would help as well. And there are plenty of supporters out there, along with those who simply do not care about this issue one way or another. The federal government has the power here, whether you approve or not.

    And there are other ways to ensure enforcement of rulings, otherwise Texas would continue to try to prosecute sodomites.
    The feds have nothing and can do nothing....

    A governor with balls just needs to point that out....

    As far as civil armies that adore the federal government - progressives have none. Hell, they're afraid of guns for ****s sake. When the words have been said - all they know is run to the nearest rock and hide under it.

  7. #1437
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Yes...

    It's called direct democracy - you know - the same reason why progressives were crying when Gore lost the election. Progressives seemed to be a big fan then of the idea.

    However, I'm not talking about national direct democracy I'm talking about state direct democracy - which exists for some issues - which is why voting propositions are on the ****ing ballot....

    Prop 8 is a perfect example of the general public in a state voting and the feds or some ****ing bent group running to a judge and having all that "democracy ****" overturned because progressives are authoritarians.
    Ahhhh so the tyranny of the majority is fine on the state level. Seems awfully authoritarian to me.

  8. #1438
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    Actually the US enforces bigotry and discrimination, in some cases.
    Eric Holder knows all about that.

    He's a very selective man.

  9. #1439
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-22-17 @ 12:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,154

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    So the marriages are not valid during that time.
    The marriages are valid right now because they were valid at that time, when they were entered into.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #1440
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The marriages are valid right now because they were valid at that time, when they were entered into.
    But you just said stayed.

    The state does not recognize them because of the law.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •