Page 107 of 152 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1516

Thread: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage[W:780]

  1. #1061
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Those who have addressed it have.

    I have not misunderstood anything you said. Everything I've said has been correct (except that I misremembered the person involved in an earlier exchange). And again I have to ask -- why are you trying so hard to push an argument that the courts haven't used to come to their decisions, when the result is the same? Why is demanding the discrimination isn't based on sexuality, but on sex, so important to you?
    It is important because it is the most accurate truth of the situation. Should someone wish to marry a person of the same sex but not actually be gay, they should be allowed to do so without having to hide the fact that they aren't gay. It should be recognized that the discrimination is not based on sexuality, but rather sex/gender.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #1062
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Wrong. Sometimes it was the parents, sometimes it was the business owners taking in orphans to work for them. Either way, it was still wrong. And either way, it was still more than just "poor parenting", much more.

    And you still have not addressed the restriction on age for joining the military or holding any other government job.
    Is the owner not the parent?

    I do not support state intervention into other countries.

  3. #1063
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    Is the owner not the parent?

    I do not support state intervention into other countries.
    No. In many cases, the owner is simply a business owner. You do realize that "Newsies" was based on a real event right?

    And who said anything about "intervention into other countries"? We are simply talking about the Army. Or do you disapprove of having an Army setup for our defense as well?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #1064
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No. In many cases, the owner is simply a business owner.

    And who said anything about "intervention into other countries"? We are simply talking about the Army. Or do you disapprove of having an Army setup for our defense as well?
    Taking in an orphan sounds like parenting.

    That is what the army does.

  5. #1065
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:01 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,530

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    It is important because it is the most accurate truth of the situation.
    Well, as almost no court has followed it, no, it's not.

    And besides that, arguing with me, here, about it does not change the prevailing legal treatment of it, so what's the point? If you convinced me, then what? The legal reality of it is still the same.


    Should someone wish to marry a person of the same sex but not actually be gay, they should be allowed to do so without having to hide the fact that they aren't gay. It should be recognized that the discrimination is not based on sexuality, but rather sex/gender.
    This, too, is in itself an argument about discrimination against sexuality.

    And even at its heart, it isn't a sex-based discrimination issue. It's a definitional and free association issue.

    But I suppose it will all be revisited once those throngs of heterosexuals clamoring to marry people of the same sex bring it to court.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  6. #1066
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,528

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    false the state doesn't have the right to violate individual rights and the fed is fixing it
    Sorry, can't agree with that. Our Constitution is there to protect our rights, especially from the federal government. If you are out there pushing for more federal power just because it's an issue you agree with, you might end up in a place you don't want to be in when they use that power against you.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  7. #1067
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,787

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    1.)Sorry, can't agree with that.
    2.) Our Constitution is there to protect our rights, especially from the federal government.
    3.) If you are out there pushing for more federal power just because it's an issue you agree with, you might end up in a place you don't want to be in when they use that power against you.
    1.) you dont have to agree thats the way it is, i wasnt discussing opinions
    2.) correct and the body the protects our rights is also the fed cant have one without the other and the state cant violate individual rights and thats why the fed is fixing it
    3.) one again this has nothgin to do with me this is the way it is and this is not giving the fed more power its what they already do and are supposed to do.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #1068
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,528

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    That exact logic was explicitly rejected in the Loving case. "Everyone can marry someone of the same race. No discrimination at all!"

    So what makes you think this logic is valid now when it wasn't then? You must think there's some distinctive difference here that makes such logic acceptable now.
    No, that's not the same logic. In fact, that's the opposite of what I said. But, I guess you need to bend the logic to fit your argument.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  9. #1069
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,528

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    That's pretty tortured. Your attempt to make them dissimilar is making your argument scream in pain.
    That is such a warped, strange answer that has nothing to do with anything.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  10. #1070
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,999

    Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s ban on same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    No, that's not the same logic. In fact, that's the opposite of what I said. But, I guess you need to bend the logic to fit your argument.
    That sure looks like what you said to me. If it isn't feel free to clarify.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •