Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 245

Thread: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

  1. #71
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    re: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    No, it's not irrelevant to this discussion. THere was an existing law and CA chose to remove it. They wouldnt remove a law that continues to serve a legitimate purpose, would they? How can we compare and discuss if it was the right thing to do if we dont know the previous reason(s)?

    What was the original reason(s) for prostitution to be illegal?

    The laws were struck down on the basis of safety. Why they were laws in the first place is not the discussion and is irrelevant.
    Which does not change the fact that their being struck down is a further erosion of the standards of decency.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  2. #72
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    re: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Funny how you're running away from this simple question:

    Which is not what you originally claimed I was running from. So you are just trying to spin the known facts.
    I have stood by what I said and have not backed down. It is a further erosion of the standards of decency.

    It is also funny you don't understand that that question is irrelevant to what I said.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  3. #73
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,150

    re: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post

    The laws were struck down on the basis of safety. Why they were laws in the first place is not the discussion and is irrelevant.
    Which does not change the fact that their being struck down is a further erosion of the standards of decency.
    The state has no place in legislating morality.

  4. #74
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    re: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    The state has no place in legislating morality.
    Is that what you think?
    That is nice.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  5. #75
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,499

    re: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post

    Funny you don't understand that that question is irrelevant to what I said.
    That's idiotic. Of course it's relevant to what you said.

    So, you aren't going to answer. Take the coward's way out if you must; I don't think anyone else is having any problem seeing it for what it is.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  6. #76
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,150

    re: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Is that what you think?
    That is nice.
    It does not or do you not believe in personal freedom? Should our morals be decided for us? That is what defines Canadian freedom, the state has no place in morality.

  7. #77
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,662

    re: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post

    The laws were struck down on the basis of safety. Why they were laws in the first place is not the discussion and is irrelevant.
    Which does not change the fact that their being struck down is a further erosion of the standards of decency.
    Ok, nevermind. You wont answer because the answer weakens your argument.

    You still have not explained how the law being struck down is a further erosion of decency standards. How was that law maintaining decency standards previously?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #78
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    re: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    It does not or do you not believe in personal freedom?
    Wtf does that have to do with what you having said, being nice?
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  9. #79
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    re: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Because this will have the opposite effect of what you outline. How does this decision in any way put pimps out of business? Pimps don't exist to protect the women from the police. And regardless of how legal prostitution is in any nation, there are still pimps and girls working the street.
    How would it not? Pimps exist because they peddle an illegal service and act as protective muscle for a vulnerable group of people, consequently they also act as control and distribution pipelines. Remove the illegality and women can actively seek police protection without endangering themselves or their clientele, they can occupy actual property which can take them off the streets, and encourages health and safety regulation instead of police action.

    Prostitution in a globalized world is fraught with complex problems but criminalization is the worst of all possible options. It doesn't prevent women from becoming prostitutes, it doesn't reduce human trafficking, and it doesn't meaningfully reduce their clientele. Legalization doesn't remove pimps, it doesn't end human trafficking, and it doesn't make the job safe for every women. But it makes things more manageable, it increases safety, reduces health risks, and perhaps most crucially it gives people sovereignty over their bodies.

  10. #80
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    re: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Ok, nevermind. You wont answer because the answer weakens your argument.

    You still have not explained how the law being struck down is a further erosion of decency standards. How was that law maintaining decency standards previously?
    That is not something that needs to be explained as we all know what those standards are, so it is self evident.
    And no it doesn't weaken or change anything I said.
    It is an erosion of standards of decency.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •