Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 245

Thread: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

  1. #41
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,962
    Blog Entries
    25

    re: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Actually, if it was a liberal ruling in nature, the court would have required the government to fund free "houses of ill repute" for prostitutes to conduct business in.

    This is more along the line of Canadian conservatism. We're far more concerned with keeping track of the money and how it's spent and far less interested in dictating to private citizens how they should live their lives. It may be the reverse of the liberal/conservative dynamic in the US.
    More in line with the three tenets of traditional conservatism instead of the statist conservatism of the religious right in trying to have government enforce their version of what is and isn't moral. Afternoon CJ, great day in Georgia, 70 today and a bit higher tomorrow. I would love to celebrate Christmas outside in jeans and a t-shirt. BBQ a going and I will do the cooking.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  2. #42
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    re: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    This entire post is a weaseling attempt to slink away from your opposition to the legality of prostitution on the basis of "decency."

    Embarrassed by it? Perhaps you should be. But you're fooling no one.
    Wrong again. At least attempt to devote some thought to what you are saying.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  3. #43
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    30,006

    re: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    The decision was not about personal liberty but safety.
    And indecency is still indecency.
    It was a crime for no reason, let me put it that way then, in terms of an American view of what the govt should and shouldnt impose on individuals...which are morals.

    It was a crime for the wrong reasons, IMO, and now that is changed in Canada. It already existed...since the beginning of time so they say....if you wish to view consensual sex as 'indecent,' then that is your perogative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #44
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    re: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    It was a crime for no reason, let me put it that way then, in terms of an American view of what the govt should and shouldnt impose on individuals...which are morals.

    It was a crime for the wrong reasons, IMO, and now that is changed in Canada. It already existed...since the beginning of time so they say....if you wish to view consensual sex as 'indecent,' then that is your perogative.
    Putting it a different way doesn't change the outcome.
    And it was a crime for a reason. Some just don' t find that reason justifiable, which just shows a further erosion of decency.

    As far as we know the Canadian Parliament could pass a 200% tax on it, or something equally as ridiculous to try to exterminate the practice.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  5. #45
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,210

    re: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

    To be clear, this case has been going through the courts for the better part of a decade and had to do primarily with a "dominatrix" who operated out of her home and was charged with operating a bawdy house.

    It falls in line with exceptions to the law here that allow for members only "sex clubs" to operate where for an annual fee "members" get to "play games" with other "members" in the comfort of private rooms, or public if you choose, in the establishment.

    While Canada is prudish in many ways, particularly in relation to most of Europe and lots of Asia, we are often light years ahead of the US in this regard.

    I will say, however, on a personal note, that unless an individual is "addicted" to sex, I find it sad that they would want to or have to resort to selling their bodies in order to be gainfully employed.
    Last edited by CanadaJohn; 12-20-13 at 02:52 PM.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  6. #46
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,210

    re: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    More in line with the three tenets of traditional conservatism instead of the statist conservatism of the religious right in trying to have government enforce their version of what is and isn't moral. Afternoon CJ, great day in Georgia, 70 today and a bit higher tomorrow. I would love to celebrate Christmas outside in jeans and a t-shirt. BBQ a going and I will do the cooking.
    Good afternoon Pero, and you're right.

    As for the weather, it's pouring rain here today - all our nice snow is becoming a slushy mess to be frozen overnight and then become a driving hazard.

    If I don't see you again before then, hope you and your family have a happy, healthy, and grossly overfed Christmas.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  7. #47
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:45 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,607

    re: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Wrong again. At least attempt to devote some thought to what you are saying.
    No, you're just banging your high chair now. Anyone reading sees that.

    You apparently do not have the courage of your own convictions.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  8. #48
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    re: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    No, you're just banging your high chair now. Anyone reading sees that.

    You apparently do not have the courage of your own convictions.
    You are making foolish and idiotic assertions, as I have not backed down one bit from what I said.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  9. #49
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,962
    Blog Entries
    25

    re: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Good afternoon Pero, and you're right.

    As for the weather, it's pouring rain here today - all our nice snow is becoming a slushy mess to be frozen overnight and then become a driving hazard.

    If I don't see you again before then, hope you and your family have a happy, healthy, and grossly overfed Christmas.
    We usually do CJ, Merry Christmas to you and yours.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  10. #50
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    re: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    And it wasn't.
    It was a supposed victory for safety.
    Nothing more.
    Because, as pointed out, the court left open further restriction on it.



    I said it was a further erosion of standards of decency.
    That is all.
    You assumed for that which you chose.

    I also stated that the Judges reasoning was absurd.
    Apparently you also chose to assume you knew what that meant instead of asking.






    Important to me?
    What a ridiculous and meaningless thing to assert.
    I never said it was or wasn't important.
    But with that said.
    Their safety is better protected by having it outlawed and strictly enforced.


    You are being absurd. There has been no slinking away from what I said.
    You just choose to assume that which you do not know.
    Are you incapable of answering a point directly? You lamented this ruling as a blow to 'standards of decency' and when confronted with the accusation that this would be merely an assault on anothers personal liberty by enforcing your morality you've automatically repeated the line about standards of decency. Answer the question. Why should you have the right to tell an individual what they can or cannot do with their own body?

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •