Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 245

Thread: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

  1. #31
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,927

    re: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Well, liberty had a major victory in Canada today. A person can now do with their own body what they choose. This seems to upset you. What other conclusions are we to draw here?
    I can think of a couple of posters that would find it very objectionable, blaming the further 'collapse' of society on women's choices. First casual sex (promiscuity) and now this....."it's completely women's faults for becoming *more available* to men...not the men's faults." Apparently they are just like this naturally and only controlling and limiting women all these millenia has prevented the collapse of society. The claim will be that 'women dont really know what they like or need...they are all being taken advantage of.'
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,927

    re: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post

    The decision was not based on liberty.

    And recognizing it is a further erosion of decent standards does not say I am saddened. Where do you come up with such nonsense?
    It's not a further erosion...it removes a 'crime' that really has no basis in personal liberty (altho it's Canada and not the US). How does less crime contribute to the erosion of decent standards?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #33
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    re: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    It can't be both? (Hint: of course it can, and he said so. It's only your stubbornness which gets in the way of your being able to see it.)
    And it wasn't.
    It was a supposed victory for safety.
    Nothing more.
    Because, as pointed out, the court left open further restriction on it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    You are opposed to prostitution being legalized on the basis of "decency."

    I said it was a further erosion of standards of decency.
    That is all.
    You assumed for that which you chose.

    I also stated that the Judges reasoning was absurd.
    Apparently you also chose to assume you knew what that meant instead of asking.





    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Thus, the concerns of neither safety nor liberty are important to you in the name of that notion of "decency."
    Important to me?
    What a ridiculous and meaningless thing to assert.
    I never said it was or wasn't important.
    But with that said.
    Their safety is better protected by having it outlawed and strictly enforced.


    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    You're trying to slink away from it, but those are "the facts," and according to you, "accuracy" is important.
    You are being absurd. There has been no slinking away from what I said.
    You just choose to assume that which you do not know.
    Last edited by Excon; 12-20-13 at 02:52 PM.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  4. #34
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    re: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    It's not a further erosion...it removes a 'crime' that really has no basis in personal liberty (altho it's Canada and not the US). How does less crime contribute to the erosion of decent standards?
    The decision was not about personal liberty but safety.
    And indecency is still indecency.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  5. #35
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,943
    Blog Entries
    25

    re: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution

    By Randall Palmer, Reuters

    OTTAWA — The Supreme Court of Canada struck down all current restrictions on prostitution on Friday, including bans on brothels and on street solicitation, declaring the laws were unconstitutional because they violated prostitutes' safety.

    The sweeping 9-0 decision will take effect in one year, inviting Parliament to try to come up with some other way to regulate the sex trade if it chooses to do so.

    [...]

    Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin said many prostitutes "have no meaningful choice" but to "engage in the risky economic activity of prostitution," and that the law should not make such lawful activity more dangerous.

    "It makes no difference that the conduct of pimps and johns is the immediate source of the harms suffered by prostitutes," she wrote.

    "The impugned laws deprive people engaged in a risky, but legal, activity of the means to protect themselves against those risks."

    [...]

    Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution - World News

    And the further erosion of decent standards.

    The Justice's reasoning is absurd. Or is that liberal?
    I have always thought Prostitution should be legal, regulated and taxed as any other business. Heck everything else we do is government regulated, why not sex.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  6. #36
    Guru
    soot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,308

    re: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    No it wasn't. And this is not about Zimmerman.
    Do try to stay focused.
    The court has spoken.

    Your opinion is irrelevant.
    “Now it is not good for the Christian’s health to hustle the Aryan brown,
    For the Christian riles, and the Aryan smiles and he weareth the Christian down;
    And the end of the fight is a tombstone white with the name of the late deceased,
    And the epitaph drear: “A Fool lies here who tried to hustle the East.”

  7. #37
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    re: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution

    By Randall Palmer, Reuters

    OTTAWA — The Supreme Court of Canada struck down all current restrictions on prostitution on Friday, including bans on brothels and on street solicitation, declaring the laws were unconstitutional because they violated prostitutes' safety.

    The sweeping 9-0 decision will take effect in one year, inviting Parliament to try to come up with some other way to regulate the sex trade if it chooses to do so.

    [...]

    Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin said many prostitutes "have no meaningful choice" but to "engage in the risky economic activity of prostitution," and that the law should not make such lawful activity more dangerous.

    "It makes no difference that the conduct of pimps and johns is the immediate source of the harms suffered by prostitutes," she wrote.

    "The impugned laws deprive people engaged in a risky, but legal, activity of the means to protect themselves against those risks."

    [...]

    Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution - World News

    And the further erosion of decent standards.

    The Justice's reasoning is absurd. Or is that liberal?
    Good, adults should be free to do as they like so long as they do not infringe upon the rights of others.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #38
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:47 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,585

    re: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    And it wasn't.
    It was a supposed victory for safety.
    Nothing more.
    Because, as pointed out, the court left open further restriction on it.



    I said it was a further erosion of standards of decency.
    That is all.
    You assumed for that which you chose.

    I also stated that the Judges reasoning was absurd.
    Apparently you also chose to assume you knew what that meant instead of asking.






    Important to me?
    What a ridiculous and meaningless thing to assert.
    I never said it was or wasn't important.
    But with that said.
    There safety is better protected by having it outlawed and strictly enforced.


    You are being absurd. There has been no slinking away from what I said.
    You just choose to assume that which you do not know.
    This entire post is a weaseling attempt to slink away from your opposition to the legality of prostitution on the basis of "decency."

    Embarrassed by it? Perhaps you should be. But you're fooling no one.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  9. #39
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    re: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

    Quote Originally Posted by soot View Post
    The court has spoken.

    Your opinion is irrelevant.


    Then there is no need for this board then is there?
    The Government has spoken.
    You opinion doesn't matter.
    Move along now.
    That is hilarious.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  10. #40
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    re: Canada high court strikes down all restrictions on prostitution [W:232]

    It's Canada and up to them, but the pimps are probably celebrating by beating down a ho tonight. My opinion is that it's terrible public policy.

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •