Page 6 of 166 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 1658

Thread: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E (W: 742)

  1. #51
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,763

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Good Morning Danarhea, I personally see it as intolerance and you make the point by showing the double standards between Miley Cyrus being rewarded when some found her being outrageous while Robertson is being fired because some found his comments outrageous. When people start to become afraid to say what they really think for fear of retribution, (as many do daily in public) its proof of oppression and evidence of free speech/expression being violated.
    I respect your point, but here's the deal. A&E is responsible for it's corporate image, and they do not want that image tarnished. True, it might not be fair, but that's the way it is. And free speech is only free speech up to a point. Like the old adage "You can't shout fire in a crowded theatre". Now exactly where that point is should be what we debate here.

    As far as the government goes, free speech is free speech, no matter how wrong it is. I remember the government ruling against the Jewish community in Skokie Illinois and allowing the KKK to march there. However, A&E is not the government. It is a privately owned company, and has the right to set it's own standards of behavior. Don't like it? Then boycott it.... Isn't that what a lot of people are doing now?
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #52
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    His interview had with GQ had nothing to do with A&E,
    Employees have been fired since forever for creating controversy that the employer does not want. Phil Robertson is famous because of his show on...A&E. Trying to suggest that the interview had nothing to do with them is flat out silly.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #53
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Though I believe obviously A&E has a right to fire whoever they want to fire for any reason, I don't see why his views outside of the show, have any effect on his ability to do the show, nor do I see how that would be put on A&E.
    Because there's no such thing as "outside the show" for reality stars. It's what they sign up for either knowingly or unknowingly.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  4. #54
    Professor
    wolfsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,140

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Intellectual honesty and your reply just shut my mouth. Good point.

    I would, however, like to see the specifics on what motivated Christian groups to boycott; expressing opinions or things more direct? Fostering a culture where people are free to respectfully express their views is one thing. Supporting direct action that undermines people's deeply held values is something different.

    A. I am for (fill-in-the blank) and you might not be. It's my opinion and everybody has one. Lets sit down and talk about it because this is America and we value open dialog in our culture.

    --or--

    B. I am not only for (fill-in-the-blank) but I'm also announcing today that the profits generated by your support of my business will be used to finance tangible advancements in (fill-in-the-blank) despite your objections. Thank you for your support.

    ???
    If you go to the links I posted, they give their reasons.

    Million moms boycotted JC Penneys because they hired Ellen.
    FRC boycotted Betty crocker because they offered to bake wedding cakes for gay couples.
    FRC boycotted Home depot because they offered benefits to same sex couples.
    AFA boycotted general mills because they support SSM.

    There are more explanations at the links, directly from those who are starting the boycotts.
    " May you live as long as you wish, and love as long as you live"
    R.A. Heinlein

  5. #55
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    For one thing, no one called for a boycott of Duck Dynasty

    As for your question about why christians have called for action against something they didn't like, here's an example
    GEICO Pig on a Date Angers One Million Moms - ABC News
    I might have misunderstood thinking A&E sponsors were being targeted. Thanks for the clarification.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  6. #56
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Which has nothing to do with your post I responded to or the response I made.
    Well I ignored your smarmy partisan comment. Of course it has nothing to do with how you responded.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    By the way, there has always been consequences for free speech. The only thing the constitution guarantees is that those repercussions don't come from the government.
    Glad you see it that way.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  7. #57
    Bat Chain Puller
    beefheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The burning sands of the desert southwest.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    19,370

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Bravo to Phil! Everyone should be able to say what they believe without worrying about their jobs.

    Of course the progressives will keep trying to sell us that homosexuality is orientation and not preference. It would be interesting to see a comparison of the brain of a homosexual and that of a serial killer. Both are born that way according to some of today's scientists.
    How did you feel about what Martn Bashir said? When you sign a contract, you have contractual obligations, when you break them, you can lose your job, buisness, not politics.
    "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

  8. #58
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Well I ignored your smarmy partisan comment. Of course it has nothing to do with how you responded.

    Glad you see it that way.
    You expected me to not respond to a smarmy comment with a smarmy comment that made yours look silly?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #59
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,435

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    For one thing, no one called for a boycott of Duck Dynasty

    As for your question about why christians have called for action against something they didn't like, here's an example
    GEICO Pig on a Date Angers One Million Moms - ABC News

    That outrage was hilarious, thanks for sharing!
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  10. #60
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    As to the show, I will be very disappointed in the rest of them if they dont politely decline to continue the show effective immediately.

    As for those Gay rights group boycotts...the last one we saw was the Chik Fil A episode....and judging by the results, it was pretty good for business.

Page 6 of 166 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •