Page 35 of 166 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 1658

Thread: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E (W: 742)

  1. #341
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Of course he will be back. This is a cooling off period to make it seem like something was done till it falls off the public consciousness. Was anyone Suspecting anything else?
    Not sure. Duck dynasty seems to be one of those shows that people of many stripes like. I think the show is great.


    That may have factored into the decision.

  2. #342
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Hence the show only exists because of advertising and that is precisely my point...

    Why do you think a lot of people thought TV was a stupid invention in the first place? then advertisers figured they could sell their products....

    TV shows were invented just for advertisements.... Radio commercially the same - the applications of both TV and radio are without question useful (I'm not even trying to make that argument)....
    Doesnt change that Yes they care if you entertained, or in this case offensive. Someone within A&E wieghed the advantages of suspending vs ignoring and did what they thought was best for their company. In the end, advertisers don't pull ads because their morals were violated, they pull ads because they fear people will stop using their products by affiliation. In the end, they are both manipulating consumers in any way they need to to move their products. In the end it is the person sitting on the couch watching the tv who's opinion matters.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  3. #343
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,707

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Yes, I understand that. You understand their celebrity status has made them millions upon millions of dollars each year, in addition to the extra money they make in sales due to increased visibility, right?

    My experience is most Christians regularly sin but only care about the sins which allow them judge others. I'm not really all that interested in watching someone throw a stone from a glass house.

    I doubt it. Sure, it might hurt ad revenue during that particular time slot, but a negative impact on reputation would hurt ad revenue on all time slots.
    Dood still lives in the same house he always has. Granted his family cumulatively is enormously wealthy but that was do to their family business, and not the A&E show. More? Sure...but not relevant or needed. Marketing is always good...but they didnt need the help. Thats why A&E went to them in the first place.

    Re that whole 'sin' thing...you DID see that he was talking about ALL sin, recognizing we ALL fall short, right?

  4. #344
    Assassin
    Verax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,529

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Yet you don't understand that you only support politicians because they give you money...

    You donate 5 bucks to them and they let everyone live off the working class that makes 40k or more for life......

    I love how you progressives are only sharp when you want to be - or when it suits your argument or gives you an opportunity to mock someone.
    I don't support any politician financially and they don't give me money, I make plenty to support myself and my family. I have no problems giving some of my money in taxes to help people who are in a hole. I was once in a terrible situation for many years myself so I know all about it.

    If you can't take it don't dish it out!

  5. #345
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    If it's just a personal moral concern. I don't care.

    I am looking at this from a business and societal perspective.

    My personal opinion is that A&E shouldn't have done this as there was no need for it.

    However they have every right to and legitimately so.
    I don't disagree that they have every right to do so.... as sad as that is.

    "Legitimately" so..... that is taking it a bit further than I care to agree with.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  6. #346
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    I don't disagree that they have every right to do so.... as sad as that is.

    "Legitimately" so..... that is taking it a bit further than I care to agree with.
    Why is it sad that they have the right?
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  7. #347
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,986

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Dood still lives in the same house he always has.
    Okay?

    Granted his family cumulatively is enormously wealthy but that was do to their family business, and not the A&E show.
    See above.

    Re that whole 'sin' thing...you DID see that he was talking about ALL sin, recognizing we ALL fall short, right?
    I wasn't responding to that, I was responding to the condemnation in the poster's post.

  8. #348
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    I don't disagree that they have every right to do so.... as sad as that is.

    "Legitimately" so..... that is taking it a bit further than I care to agree with.
    What law are they violating?

    Morally, they have every right to do what they want with their network. They are also not beholden to others needs beyond economic concerns.

    They can run ads for god and Satan if they wish. They can play dog bark jingle bells all day long too. They can do what they please and while you or I may disagree, our disagreement does not affect their legitimacy as they have no responsibility to us
    Last edited by tacomancer; 12-19-13 at 04:34 PM.

  9. #349
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,707

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Plenty of people on DP were (and still are) strongly critical of democrats (including Obama, both Clintons and others) who have failed to defend (or who have opposed) equal rights for homosexuals, myself included.
    Why I KNOW. Golly...we are literally WADING through the many varied threads and steady stream of commentary here. LITERALLY tripping over them up in this beeeyotch.

    Right? Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

  10. #350
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Paula Deen product lines are already making a slow comeback, like Martha Stewart's did. Her fumbling, tearful and public apologies only worsened her situation. The best thing she could do was get out her own way. Sometimes in the world of notoriety the less demographic groups you offend or comment on the better off you are.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •