Page 30 of 166 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 1658

Thread: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E (W: 742)

  1. #291
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,635

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I don't even know what the hell you mean by "democratic socialism" - both words have completely different meanings and neither jibe...
    Then you have a lot of reading to do. That is, if you're up to the challenge.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  2. #292
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,427

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    Unfortunately for your argument, you would be ignoring the generational and contextual shift that has occurred around homosexuality in just the past ten years. And just like interracial marriage, it's going to take time to work through our society and be "generally accepted. And for anyone that rather recognize that reality, as opposed to mount some pointless "culture war" against it, they understand that such actions just help foster and reinforce the resistance against it. In fact, it's why intelligent people tend to disagree with imposing views on democratic societies when cultural shifts are occurring naturally (Ginsburg ala RvsW)




    The employer here is responding to organized threats of boycotts, not some random interview

    PS also, where did I bring up the whole "intolerance" thing? Respond to what I write, not the pre-digested cud you have sitting around
    I wonder if A&E asked themselves how many of the people that would boycott the show, network or the advertisers every watch the show, the network or would ever buy a product from one for their advertisers.

  3. #293
    Assassin
    Verax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,409

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Hilarious and a great example of what's being discussed here. Your second sentence is discrimination and hate speech directed against folks you disagree with. Totally at odds with your first sentence. Rank hypocrisy.

    As for A&E, purely a financial decision, gotta keep those advo dollars coming in. Now, if ratings drop a bunch because of this move and the advo dollars are threatened that way, Phil will be back PDQ.
    Yes I am talking **** now, do I really care if I offend someone? This issue is not about me being an asshole is it? It is about the Duck man spewing hate speech and then ARealConservative felt people hating on Duck man in retaliation was some kind of equal travesty that exonerates the Duckmaster of any wrongdoing???

    The logic some of you display is terrifyingly bizarre. You twist and twist until its hard to even make sense of anything anymore.

  4. #294
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    Political correctness is tyranny?

    You seem to be confused. Tv shows are marketed to the broadest possible base to increase their ratings. When you have someone insult half the country you are cutting into those ratings so A&E took action. This is not "progressive tyranny", its business. This is not the government controlling anything, it is the free market.

    What exactly is your problem here?
    TV shows exist to sell advertising...

    You think they exist to amuse you?

    Why the hell do you think communist nations have only a few TV channels and they're all state run? because businesses have nothing to sell and the concept of advertising doesn't exist...

  5. #295
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Let's try this again:
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    My position is based exactly on his words. He chose what to lump together with homosexuals and homosexuality.

    Yes, as *sins*. If I point out that both *tax evasion* and *murder* are both *crimes* am I making any real equivocation or comparison between murder and tax evasion, or am I merely pointing out that they both exist in a rather broad catagory titled "crime"?

    Do you want to actually address this honestly this time, or will you again evade it? And if you simply want to evade it why even bother replying? It just makes you look dishonest and agenda driven


    You can deny it all you want
    Deny what? I'm the one who cited what he actually said, so i can hardly be denying it. The issue here is how you are trying to interpret those remarks

    but it won't change him lumping gays with terrorists, nor homosexuality with bestiality.
    See my remarks above that I made for a fourth time. Will you finally address them or simply repeat yourself, mindlessly?

    If you cannot comprehend why that might piss some people off, the issue is not with me.
    People get pissed off about all manner of things, that doesn't equate to what they are pissed off about having actual merit, their interpretation of the material being correct, nor serves to justify their response to it. As I said in the beginning, and what initiated your series of non-responses, these attempts to force views on the larger public only tend to solidify opposition to them and it's better to let natural trends take their course, especially when they are moving in the desired direction.

    But to discuss this you need to be willing to be honest here. Something you seem very intent in not doing

  6. #296
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    I wonder if A&E asked themselves how many of the people that would boycott the show, network or the advertisers every watch the show, the network or would ever buy a product from one for their advertisers.
    Think they made a poor business decision. The robertsons are now considered Heroes if they want to cash in on the opportunity they were just handed.

    Maybe I should go bash a gay person on TV and ride the wave of martyrdom...

  7. #297
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Then you have a lot of reading to do. That is, if you're up to the challenge.
    I understand, and have heard the concept but the concept is not accurate at all...

    I have done my reading, this is why I know this..

    "Democratic Socialism" is a joke because there is no "capitalist" option so it's not democratic at all...

    The same people run for office, and they're all the same - socialists - so how the hell is that democratic.

    North Korea is a perfect example of that - what "Kim" do you want?

    It's like putting a bowl of brown M&M's out on the table and claiming that because people can choose which ones they want - that is democracy...

  8. #298
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,427

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    It's not a punishment. The Constitution does not guarantee the right to have your life broadcast on cable TV. Nor does it protect you from consequences for free speech.
    Do you think the only punishment is related to the Constitution?

    He was removed from the show and if the show continues, where will he be when it is being filmed.

    They have, or are trying to, kick him out of his family.

  9. #299
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    Or conservatives. Depends on the situation. What if someone on trinity broadcasting had supported gay rights.

    Or what if the Dixie chicks criticized bush. It goes both ways

    Gaico is another example
    A. As long as the Trinity person didn't mention it on a TRINITY show.... then its wrong.
    B. They got boycotted.... they didn't get dropped from their record label or anything.
    C. WTF is a GAICO?

    B (1). However.... this bit I just learned (by making sure I wasn't wrong in my assumption in B) is totally ****ed up...

    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia on Dixie Chicks
    A Colorado radio station suspended two of its disc jockeys on May 6 for playing music by Dixie Chicks.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  10. #300
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    My position is based exactly on his words. He chose what to lump together with homosexuals and homosexuality. You can deny it all you want, but it won't change him lumping gays with terrorists, nor homosexuality with bestiality. If you cannot comprehend why that might piss some people off, the issue is not with me.
    Well then you better rally to have the Bible withdrawn from all public libraries and iinstitution. Hell, just ban it. Because that was the source of his quote.

    1 Corinthians 6:9 ESV / 7 helpful votes
    Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality,

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •