Page 29 of 166 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 1658

Thread: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E (W: 742)

  1. #281
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    A&E has every right to pull him off the air if he says something that the company disagrees with.
    That's true. However, I read the comment, and it seemed to me to be as expression of his personal preference and not a condemnation or attack on gays or anyone else. I can see why A&E might make a statement clarifying that it is not the view of A&E but rather that of the person that made it.

    Personally, I have the same preference, but the difference is that I wouldn't have added the part of the statement where he says "Come in guys..." which could be interpreted as trying to impose his personal preference on others (although that would be a HUGE stretch).

    I support everyone's right to be with the one they love, and to fulfill and express that love in anyway they feel fit, up to and including marriage. That support doesn't mean that I'm gonna give it a try myself. Sexual attraction and love are ingrained in the individual... it isn't a CHOICE.

    Just as the person on this show expressed his attraction and preference.

    Suspending him indefinitely was a dramatic overreaction for what was actually said.

  2. #282
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,483

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    not the greatest example. weeks went by before the network acted even though virtually nobody agreed with his position, even among those that watch him.

    I suspect the majority that watch this show, agree with the person suspended.
    Martin Bashir quit, he was not fired.

  3. #283
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I don't have a persecution complex, as I'm not a christian. I'm an atheist.

    All I've stated is that for some reason discrimination laws are imbalanced, protecting homosexuals more than they protect the religious. If a company fired someone for saying something homosexual people would lose their minds.
    What the hell are you talking about? The religious have a FEDERAL CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT to protect their rights. The reason for discrimination laws is to provide some semblance of protection for gay rights. I think you have media syndrome. You take what you see and hear on the media as representative of what occurs in all of reality. I've known many gay people who have been fired from their jobs for no other reason than they are gay and they live in a state that offers no employment protection based on sexual orientation.

    I have to lie at work and cannot be out because I could be fired for no other reason than my sexual orientation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  4. #284
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    That's true. However, I read the comment, and it seemed to me to be as expression of his personal preference and not a condemnation or attack on gays or anyone else. I can see why A&E might make a statement clarifying that it is not the view of A&E but rather that of the person that made it.

    Personally, I have the same preference, but the difference is that I wouldn't have added the part of the statement where he says "Come in guys..." which could be interpreted as trying to impose his personal preference on others (although that would be a HUGE stretch).

    I support everyone's right to be with the one they love, and to fulfill and express that love in anyway they feel fit, up to and including marriage. That support doesn't mean that I'm gonna give it a try myself. Sexual attraction and love are ingrained in the individual... it isn't a CHOICE.

    Just as the person on this show expressed his attraction and preference.

    Suspending him indefinitely was a dramatic overreaction for what was actually said.
    Unfortunately the general populace is sensitive and if they are prone to overreact, the network also is pressured to

  5. #285
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    What I find funny is imagine this same scenario, but instead of a christian getting suspended for anti gay remarks, it was a gay guy getting suspended for saying there is no God and fox suspending him. I wonder how many people who support A&E would support fox? My guess is very few. They'd be pissed he was suspended for stating his beliefs. And along those same lines how many people who think A&E shouldn't have suspended this guy would support the gay guy's comments about God? My guess is they'd say Fox had every right.
    I'd say while sadly they have every right.... They were wrong.

    Now, I guess its all relative. If the gay person stated there was no god and blah blah blah ON Fox's channel during THEIR broadcast then Yes they have every right and they are right.

    But suspending someone for saying something of your personal belief during an interview not on Fox's channel.... WRONG.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  6. #286
    Assassin
    Verax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,530

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Yeah right - what the hell you call political correctness then?

    If this wasn't the case then why the hell are progressives so bent and why the hell did they pull this guy from the show?

    Maybe you just cant see reality at face value..

    I had a progressive the other day in a different thread portray me as intolerant because I acknowledged that men and woman are different in physiology....

    Don't even try this "no one is out to get you" nonsense... These intolerant people are out to degrade and smash anyone who doesn't adhere to their group-think policies...
    Political correctness is tyranny?

    You seem to be confused. Tv shows are marketed to the broadest possible base to increase their ratings. When you have someone insult half the country you are cutting into those ratings so A&E took action. This is not "progressive tyranny", its business. This is not the government controlling anything, it is the free market.

    What exactly is your problem here?

  7. #287
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    Then they should not be in the public eye
    Unless they have personal beliefs that agree with liberals? (Because people who express personal beliefs that are liberal have rarely EVER been fired)...
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  8. #288
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,634

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    Itís all starting to make sense to me now. Iíve always been told people that cheat are more concerned others would cheat on them. Those that lie are quicker to assume things told to them are lies. I think the same thing is happening here. I have never agreed with the need for laws preventing employers from discriminating on anything they want. If you are full blown racist, discriminate based on racism. I just donít see a systemic problem arising from such a thing any longer. Our society has advanced enough to tolerate all kinds of viewpoints. Liberals seem quick to punish people with opposing views. They must think a systemic problem could come about, and it is easy to see why as they seem to want to punish people strongly for holding different views. You say something they donít like, they will go for your job and your lively hood. So it is only natural they would seek laws to protect them from others acting exactly like they are prone to act.
    You miss the history behind much of this. IF there had been no laws to curb racism THEN it wouldn't look like much of a problem to you NOW. White Southern Men didn't just one day decide it was ok for a Black guy to sit beside them at a lunch counter, or drink out of the same fountain or it is ok For a white woman to marry a black guy.

    LAWS and their ENFORCEMENT got us here, and I don't think we are 'there' yet.

    You must not have read a good portion of this thread as numerous examples, some big, some dumber than a sack of rocks, of the Religious Right and their attempts to punish those who don't agree with them.

    Geico for showing a pig dating a human, JC Penny for hiring Ellen Degeneras, Proctor and Gamble for using a 'satanic' symbol as it's corporate logo, Home Depot for including SSM couples in their benefit package.....

    Seems 'Good' Christian Folks see/hear something they don't like and they are very quick to go for job and lively hood....

  9. #289
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Notice how all I said was "discuss democratic socialism from the perspective of those who prefer democratic socialism" and you reverted to "no." Political correctness at work.

    Alexis de Tocqueville explained much of this in Democracy in America. He figured that in democracy, there is a circle of acceptable social discussion, and once one peers beyond it, they face the pressure of the masses to keep quiet, or are shunned.
    I don't even know what the hell you mean by "democratic socialism" - both words have completely different meanings and neither jibe...

    You have socialism and democracy...

    Using that term is sugar coating socialism and socialism leads to communism and there is no democracy in that....

    Try "pseudo-capitalism" that makes way more sense.

    There are no socialist democratic governments - at least not in definition.

  10. #290
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Unless they have personal beliefs that agree with liberals? (Because people who express personal beliefs that are liberal have rarely EVER been fired)...
    Or conservatives. Depends on the situation. What if someone on trinity broadcasting had supported gay rights.

    Or what if the Dixie chicks criticized bush. It goes both ways

    Gaico is another example

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •