Page 22 of 166 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 1658

Thread: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E (W: 742)

  1. #211
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,186

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I'm not arguing that you can't have an opinion - I'm saying the progressive position on this issue is intolerant.

    Remember - you progressives are the ones that believe that there should be consequences for offending you - clearly there are - and that isn't right and that is why I'm posting my displeasure with you.....

    You're just trying to justify a punishment for a man speaking his mind.

    You're wrong - blatantly wrong...
    It's not a punishment. The Constitution does not guarantee the right to have your life broadcast on cable TV. Nor does it protect you from consequences for free speech.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  2. #212
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    He's being suspended because the words he said were religious, and others didn't like it.
    I would disagree. Mainly because he has said a lot of religious things over the years. If saying religious things was the problem then he would of gotten into hot water on day 1. The fact is...religion can't be used to excuse anything you want to say on national television. If you you're a proponent of slavery because the bible condones it that doesn't mean your sponsors have to support you saying that view and in turn you employer has to continue to pay you. He is a reality TV star. What he says represents the show and the show...despite whatever they say represents the network and in turn the sponsors.

    I'm actually pretty sure a homosexual could say the above statement without being fired.
    Not a TV personality. If Anderson Cooper made anti-religious statements he would be gone. You think CNN would just ignore it?


    There's an obvious imbalance when it comes to discrimination laws.
    There would be if his grounds for firing was being religious. Like I mentioned...he's said plenty of religious things. So if a reality TV star advocated the stoning of women that were found not be a virgin on their wedding day the network can't do anything? Because it's from the bible?
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  3. #213
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,133

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    He's being suspended because the words he said were religious, and others didn't like it.
    I really get tired of this persecution complex. Religious people are the vast majority of this country. Nobody is going around trying to persecute the 70% of Americans who are Christian. The fact of the matter is people don't like it when other people use religion as an excuse to be asses to other human beings. There are plenty of people in this country and in the media who can say they oppose homosexuality due to their religious beliefs without being disrespectful and disparaging about it. It is when you cross the line and start comparing things that don't cause harm, like homosexuality, to things that do cause harm, like theft and adultery, that you go from talking about how your oppose homosexuality on faith to attacking the character of people who are gay. That is why people opposed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  4. #214
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I really get tired of this persecution complex. Religious people are the vast majority of this country. Nobody is going around trying to persecute the 70% of Americans who are Christian. The fact of the matter is people don't like it when other people use religion as an excuse to be asses to other human beings. There are plenty of people in this country and in the media who can say they oppose homosexuality due to their religious beliefs without being disrespectful and disparaging about it. It is when you cross the line and start comparing things that don't cause harm, like homosexuality, to things that do cause harm, like theft and adultery, that you go from talking about how your oppose homosexuality on faith to attacking the character of people who are gay. That is why people opposed it.
    To say that there aren't people who attack and attempt to persecute christianity is just very inaccurate. There are organizations who do exactly that. There are a lot of Americans in this country who mock and attack people for being Christian. It happens, and it happens pretty regularly.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  5. #215
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    It's not a punishment. The Constitution does not guarantee the right to have your life broadcast on cable TV. Nor does it protect you from consequences for free speech.
    Really? what do you think reality TV is?

    What is wrong with you man?

    IMO, since this is reality TV, that makes the "punishment" even worse.

  6. #216
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Actually as a cast member on a show that A&E shows, yes his interview DOEs affect A&E. Therefore A&E has every right to suspend him.
    I hope the whole family sticks together and tells A&E to shove it, someone else will pick it up

  7. #217
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,239

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    To say that there aren't people who attack and attempt to persecute christianity is just very inaccurate. There are organizations who do exactly that. There are a lot of Americans in this country who mock and attack people for being Christian. It happens, and it happens pretty regularly.
    What entitles you to some kind of special immunity from criticism? Even if all the non-Christians magically got together to "persecute" you, Christians would outnumber them by more than two to one. It's ridiculous.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  8. #218
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,239

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    I hope the whole family sticks together and tells A&E to shove it, someone else will pick it up
    Market forces rang, they say no.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  9. #219
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Employees have been fired since forever for creating controversy that the employer does not want. Phil Robertson is famous because of his show on...A&E. Trying to suggest that the interview had nothing to do with them is flat out silly.
    Lying to yourself in not my problem

  10. #220
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Why do you think A&E doesn't want him on anymore? People not watching = less money for them. Is it so hard to understand that the network is a business and want to make a profit?

    Tolerance has nothing to do with it. Again, words have meanings. Learn them.
    Less people watching? Really? Prove it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •