Page 160 of 166 FirstFirst ... 60110150158159160161162 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,600 of 1658

Thread: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E (W: 742)

  1. #1591
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,619

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, I dunno.

    Didn't seem like he was saying "blacks were fine before they had civil rights."

    Because he didn't. He was talking about welfare.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  2. #1592
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Yes you were.

    I was a time period, not a comparison.
    Then compared to now. Pre versus post.

    You continue to pretend you don't understand the language.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #1593
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,619

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Then compared to now. Pre versus post.

    You continue to pretend you don't understand the language.
    It isn't a comparison to after the construction of the entitlement state, just the state of mind of the black people he grew up picking cotton with. Also note that "pre civil-rights" are the words of the author, not Robetson. when he speaks he talks about "pre-entitlement". Since you say that others don't understand the language I would advise you actually pay attention to Phil Robertson's language and not let the author's incorrect headline sway you into reading something that Robertson didn't say.

    Is it that hard for you to grasp that even though things were hard in 1950s Louisiana that people still managed to be happy?

    But look at it this way: would you say that inner city poor blacks who have access to the entitlement state are "happy"?
    Last edited by jmotivator; 12-29-13 at 01:53 PM.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  4. #1594
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Then compared to now. Pre versus post.

    You continue to pretend you don't understand the language.
    Wrong. You do not understand the language being used and are injecting your own bias into it.
    Neither he, the person answering the question, or the questioner, say then as compared to now.

    He did not say then as compared to now. The questioner did not say then compared to now.

    He was speaking specifically to the period of time he was asked about.

    He made no such comparison.


    If we we discussing the Precambrian period of time would you illogically argue we were trying to make a comparison between then and the Cambrian?
    Of course you wouldn't. We would be speaking a specific time period. Not a comparison.

    Which shows your assertion regarding Phil to be nothing more than the manifestation of garbage in your thoughts.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  5. #1595
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Sure it does. Admit it.

    No it doesn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Phil disparaged Gays and said Blacks were happy picking cotton and not voting.
    No he didn't. That would be a lie on your part.
    All you are doing is displaying that hypersensitivity and twisting things to fit within it. Saying something is a sin is not disparaging. And he said nothing about "not voting" that is nothing more than that hypersensitivity being displayed by twisting what was said into what you want to have been said.


    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    And, your defense of his stupid comments has been various versions of "He didn't say that."
    1. His comments were not stupid. Nor could they be.
    Homosexuality is a sin. That is a fact.
    And his personal experience can neither be wrong or stupid.
    2. He didn't say what you have attributed to him. Which is clear.


    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    But, yet we all know he did.
    No he didn't. That is blatant bs you are spewing, and you know it.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  6. #1596
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,866

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    No, it says clear as day:

    pre-entitlement, pre-welfare,you say: Where they happy? (this is the questions)

    They were godly, the were happy; no one was singing the blues. (and this is his answer to that question)


    And for there not being blues? From Caddo Parish, birth place of Robertson came Huddie William Ledbetter aka Lead Belly, also blues men Jesse Thomas and Dave Alexander came from there.



    PRX » Piece » Blues Unlimited #129 - Blues and R&B from Shreveport, Louisiana
    Oh, come on. Robertson didn't mean that people weren't making blues music.

    From the Free Dictionary:

    sing the blues to complain

    Computer programmers are singing the blues because business is bad and no one is hiring.

    Etymology: based on the type of music called the blues (a musical form in which songs often are about difficulties or bad luck) sing the blues - Idioms - by the Free Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

    From YouTube:


  7. #1597
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,460

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post

    No it doesn't.

    No he didn't. That would be a lie on your part.
    All you are doing is displaying that hypersensitivity and twisting things to fit within it. Saying something is a sin is not disparaging. And he said nothing about "not voting" that is nothing more than that hypersensitivity being displayed by twisting what was said into what you want to have been said.


    1. His comments were not stupid. Nor could they be.
    Homosexuality is a sin. That is a fact.
    And his personal experience can neither be wrong or stupid.
    2. He didn't say what you have attributed to him. Which is clear.


    No he didn't. That is blatant bs you are spewing, and you know it.
    See. You did exactly what I said you would do. Deny Deny Deny.
    1, He did disparage homosexuals--hiding behind his religion, pointing to his good book, does not excuse the insults.

    2, He did indeed say he saw blacks singing and happy picking cotton before they were allowed to vote. By obvious extension, he is minimizing Jim Crow.

    By the way the term "sin" by definition is religiously objective, thus no act, not even murder, can be classified as factually sinful. The term "Sin" and fact are mutually exclusive.
    Last edited by calamity; 12-29-13 at 03:16 PM.

  8. #1598
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    See. You did exactly what I said you would do. Deny Deny Deny.

    Of course I would deny your untruth, as it is untrue.


    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    1, He did disparage homosexuals--
    No he didn't.
    Saying it is a sin is not disparaging. It is factual.


    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    2, He did indeed say he saw blacks singing and happy picking cotton before they were allowed to vote. By obvious extension, he is minimizing Jim Crow.
    He didn't say this either.
    This is nothing more than the manifestation of biased garbage coming from your thoughts.
    He spoke about his experience. That is all.




    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    By the way the term "sin" by definition is religiously objective, ...

    It is still a fact that it is a sin. You can't change that.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  9. #1599
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E (W: 742)

    As I said on the other thread, I actually believe that upon restating the dishonest question back to Magary, he then mocks it with his answer.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #1600
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Because he didn't. He was talking about welfare.
    Well...

    Personally, I'm not so sure it's welfare itself that is an issue, but rather they way it is implemented.

    Maybe that's wishful thinking though.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •