Page 16 of 166 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 1658

Thread: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E (W: 742)

  1. #151
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nevada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,838

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    The whole prayer deal at the end of the show, other talks and sermons he has given have been an issue for people since the beginning.
    That is the whole point. The audience has taken the show to number one in cable history with those aspects included.

  2. #152
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    Your argument is so bizarre at a fundamental level it is hard to parse it. You think there is quantifiable evidence somewhere? where? what kind of evidence?
    you are the one making definitive claims with zero evidence.

  3. #153
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,419

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Come one...be honest. ANY comment he made that indicated less than a favorable stance on homosexuality would have been deemed an 'issue'.

    No...I have never heard Obama say..."homosexuals...they are just as bad as drunks and terrorists." But then...Phil Robinson did not sya they are 'just as bad'. He wasnt qualifying levels of good or bad or equating them. His comments were in response to the question "what is sin"...not "rank sins by activity, group, and participants."
    Let me give you a bit of sensitivity advice to avoid offending people. Don't make ridiculous and offensive over the top comparisons. For example, its ok for you to say that you believe homosexuality is a sin. It is offensive to compare it to bestiality. It is ok to say, I don't like the IRS. It is over the top to compare them to "jack booted thugs". It is ok to say, I don't like the EPA. It is over the top and offensive to compare them to the Gestapo.

    When people make over the top comparisons like that, it not only makes them look like a nutjob, it also is offensive because it compares the plight of people that were genuinely oppressed to something you just happen to not like. It compares what consenting adults do with other consenting adults, to the rape of animals. The offensiveness is not in your opinion, it is in the offensive comparisons that that the religious right and social conservatives seem to have a penchant for lately.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  4. #154
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Let me give you a bit of sensitivity advice to avoid offending people. Don't make ridiculous and offensive over the top comparisons. For example, its ok for you to say that you believe homosexuality is a sin. It is offensive to compare it to bestiality. It is ok to say, I don't like the IRS. It is over the top to compare them to "jack booted thugs". It is ok to say, I don't like the EPA. It is over the top and offensive to compare them to the Gestapo.

    When people make over the top comparisons like that, it not only makes them look like a nutjob, it also is offensive because it compares the plight of people that were genuinely oppressed to something you just happen to not like. It compares what consenting adults do with other consenting adults, to the rape of animals. The offensiveness is not in your opinion, it is in the offensive comparisons that that the religious right and social conservatives seem to have a penchant for lately.
    it is ok to say you don't agree with these people.

    it is not ok to call them inbred hicks.

  5. #155
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Leftist intolerance is on full display this year....Merry Christmas.
    I dont get what this has to do with bipartisan politics. Leftist intolerance? Did he make these statements on behalf of the democratic party or are you simply reducing this to anything anyone does completely reflects the actions of anyone who shares any political belief with a person?

    I dont see how what he said was even intolerant. Really seems like we are getting to the point that its not enough to not discriminate.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  6. #156
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Let me give you a bit of sensitivity advice to avoid offending people. Don't make ridiculous and offensive over the top comparisons. For example, its ok for you to say that you believe homosexuality is a sin. It is offensive to compare it to bestiality. It is ok to say, I don't like the IRS. It is over the top to compare them to "jack booted thugs". It is ok to say, I don't like the EPA. It is over the top and offensive to compare them to the Gestapo.

    When people make over the top comparisons like that, it not only makes them look like a nutjob, it also is offensive because it compares the plight of people that were genuinely oppressed to something you just happen to not like. It compares what consenting adults do with other consenting adults, to the rape of animals. The offensiveness is not in your opinion, it is in the offensive comparisons that that the religious right and social conservatives seem to have a penchant for lately.


    Sensitivity advice...


  7. #157
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    When did having an opposing view become intolerant? Seriously, this idea on the right that tolerance = silence is puzzling.

    I don't necessarily agree with A&E's actions here, but your definition of the word "intolerant" is wrong.
    Seriously?

    Those who promote tolerance are the least tolerant... It's so ironic...

    You're not tolerant at all - you just promote ideas..

    Tolerance is a 2-way street buddy...

    You cant punish someone for not adhering to a philosophy.

  8. #158
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,419

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post


    Sensitivity advice...

    Just trying to help you out. I realize that the Empathy Gene seems to be missing with many social conservatives.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  9. #159
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    It is thuggish to use your right of free speech, unless of course it is the right using that right. Ah, the wonderful world of us gud, them bad. Logic simply does not apply to that world...
    Well, it does seem to be a general overreaction to what he said, and the fact anyone maintains the idea that everyone needs to agree with them or face civil consequences is pretty childish. And that applies regardless of issue or politics, short of it having some real implications (and no, some ass-hat on reality tv having a stupid opinion is not something that carries "real implications".

    In fact, at the end of the day, this will likely only push people away from issues like gay marriage, etc, and increase the perception that they are having a "pro-view" shoved down their throats

  10. #160
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,419

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    it is ok to say you don't agree with these people.

    it is not ok to call them inbred hicks.
    When did I call them inbred hicks?
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •