Page 159 of 166 FirstFirst ... 59109149157158159160161 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,590 of 1658

Thread: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E (W: 742)

  1. #1581
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    The problem isn't that he said that he didn't personally see anything bad at that time, the problem is that he is claiming that before they got civil rights that black people were singing and godly and they were happy (aka not singing the blues). And he is claiming from his white point of view. He might have gotten on reasonably or even perfectly well with blacks in that day and age but to claim that they were happier and better off?

    *snip*

    It is not that Robertson didn't see anything wrong, but he makes a conclusion based on his assumptions and that is a very bad basis for making such sweeping claims.
    Here's what I read in the article which apparently instigated this whole thing:

    Phil On Growing Up in Pre-Civil-Rights-Era Louisiana

    “I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field.... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”
    I don't read that as "nothing was wrong with the situation black people were in at that time". I read it as "I never saw the problems from where I was sitting".
    The difference is slight, but key.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  2. #1582
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,013

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Here's what I read in the article which apparently instigated this whole thing:



    I don't read that as "nothing was wrong with the situation black people were in at that time". I read it as "I never saw the problems from where I was sitting".
    The difference is slight, but key.
    No, it says clear as day:

    pre-entitlement, pre-welfare,you say: Where they happy? (this is the questions)

    They were godly, the were happy; no one was singing the blues. (and this is his answer to that question)


    And for there not being blues? From Caddo Parish, birth place of Robertson came Huddie William Ledbetter aka Lead Belly, also blues men Jesse Thomas and Dave Alexander came from there.

    Located in the northwest corner of Louisiana, Shreveport has had a thriving music scene for many decades. From such blues icons as Jesse Thomas and Oscar "Buddy" Woods (of the two of them, only Thomas would make records after World War II) -- to such legendary rockers as Dale Hawkins, whose big hit "Susie Q" was cut "after hours" at local radio station KWKH, Shreveport has a lot about which it can be rightfully proud. On this episode of Blues Unlimited, we focus on two of the movers and shakers in the music business in Shreveport - Mira Smith, who started up a handful of labels, including Ram, Clif, and Jo (among others) and Stan Lewis, who operated Shreveport's all-important record distributorship for many years, and finally (at the encouragement of Leonard Chess) got into the record business himself. Also on the program, some very fine country blues that were captured during the height of the post-war era, courtesy of labels like Gotham, JOB (another home-grown Shreveport label), Pacemaker (owned by country music star Webb Pierce), Imperial, and Specialty -- from an all night recording session in March 1952 that was organized by Stan Lewis for Specialty's owner Art Rupe -- that give us a spectacular cross-section of the down home blues talent that was on hand in Shreveport in the early 1950s. Don't miss this special tribute to the Blues, R&B, and Country Blues from Shreveport, on this episode of Blues Unlimited.
    PRX » Piece » Blues Unlimited #129 - Blues and R&B from Shreveport, Louisiana
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  3. #1583
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    No, it says clear as day:

    pre-entitlement, pre-welfare,you say: Where they happy? (this is the questions)

    They were godly, the were happy; no one was singing the blues. (and this is his answer to that question)


    And for there not being blues? From Caddo Parish, birth place of Robertson came Huddie William Ledbetter aka Lead Belly, also blues men Jesse Thomas and Dave Alexander came from there.



    PRX » Piece » Blues Unlimited #129 - Blues and R&B from Shreveport, Louisiana
    Maybe I'm missing something, I dunno.

    Didn't seem like he was saying "blacks were fine before they had civil rights."
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  4. #1584
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Not on any count was I wrong.
    Yes you were.

    I was a time period, not a comparison.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  5. #1585
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    No, it says clear as day:

    pre-entitlement, pre-welfare,you say: Where they happy? (this is the questions)

    They were godly, the were happy; no one was singing the blues. (and this is his answer to that question)


    And for there not being blues? From Caddo Parish, birth place of Robertson came Huddie William Ledbetter aka Lead Belly, also blues men Jesse Thomas and Dave Alexander came from there.



    PRX » Piece » Blues Unlimited #129 - Blues and R&B from Shreveport, Louisiana
    Clear as day?
    You must be seeing things.

    He was referring to those he knew during a specific time period.
    Not "all" or anything else.
    Asserting anything else is ridiculous.

    And the blues were created years earlier.
    So prove that he heard blues being sung or that he even knew at the time what the blues were to even identify them as such.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  6. #1586
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    The following sentence applies to your arguments here in this thread.
    No it doesn't. Nor does it's hyper sensitivity.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  7. #1587
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,013

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Clear as day?
    You must be seeing things.

    He was referring to those he knew during a specific time period.
    Not "all" or anything else.
    Asserting anything else is ridiculous.

    And the blues were created years earlier.
    So prove that he heard blues being sung or that he even knew at the time what the blues were to even identify them as such.
    I do not have to prove anything. I did not make a ridiculous statement like "before entitlement blacks were singing, they were godly and they did not sing the blues".

    As I have stated facts and anecdotal evidence indicates that were not happy in the time before entitlement, that they were singing the blues in Caddo Parish and that singing while working on the fields and being very religious is not evidence for happy African Americans. That Robertson had a reasonable relationship with the black citizens of his hometown can be true, but as long as you are not black yourself, and you are allowed to sit where you want on the bus, you are allowed to register to vote and you were not suffering the negative experience known as segregation, you will only know part of the story.

    In the Arkansas times is written (in an OP-ED from what I can see):

    There aren't enough megabytes to detail how wrong-headed this is. You could put it down to ignorance only if you believe Robertson never read a newspaper or watched TV news. Particularly when you know that Phil Robertson grew up in Caddo Parish, outside Shreveport, and now lives in West Monroe, which is in Ouachita Parish. Northern Louisiana isn't known for its racial harmony. The Louisiana Encyclopedia mentions after talking about Louisiana as the land where Plessy v. Ferguson (separate but equal) was born and where rigid segregation statutes soon followed:

    Not coincidentally, lynchings increased dramatically after 1900, primarily in the northern parishes of Caddo, Ouachita and Morehouse. Between 1900 and 1931, more than half the lynchings in the state occurred north of Alexandria. The numbers of African Americans lynched are in the thousands though detailed statistics are skewed because police officers in the northern parishes rarely considered lynchings as homicides.
    Duck Dynasty: Homophobia is one thing, pure ignorance is another | Arkansas Blog | Arkansas news, politics, opinion, restaurants, music, movies and art
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  8. #1588
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,013

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Clear as day?
    You must be seeing things.

    He was referring to those he knew during a specific time period.
    Not "all" or anything else.
    Asserting anything else is ridiculous.

    And the blues were created years earlier.
    So prove that he heard blues being sung or that he even knew at the time what the blues were to even identify them as such.
    I do not have to prove anything. I did not make a ridiculous statement like "before entitlement blacks were singing, they were godly and they did not sing the blues".

    As I have stated facts and anecdotal evidence indicates that were not happy in the time before entitlement, that they were singing the blues in Caddo Parish and that singing while working on the fields and being very religious is not evidence for happy African Americans. That Robertson had a reasonable relationship with the black citizens of his hometown can be true, but as long as you are not black yourself, and you are allowed to sit where you want on the bus, you are allowed to register to vote and you were not suffering the negative experience known as segregation, you will only know part of the story.

    In the Arkansas times is written (in an OP-ED from what I can see):

    There aren't enough megabytes to detail how wrong-headed this is. You could put it down to ignorance only if you believe Robertson never read a newspaper or watched TV news. Particularly when you know that Phil Robertson grew up in Caddo Parish, outside Shreveport, and now lives in West Monroe, which is in Ouachita Parish. Northern Louisiana isn't known for its racial harmony. The Louisiana Encyclopedia mentions after talking about Louisiana as the land where Plessy v. Ferguson (separate but equal) was born and where rigid segregation statutes soon followed:

    Not coincidentally, lynchings increased dramatically after 1900, primarily in the northern parishes of Caddo, Ouachita and Morehouse. Between 1900 and 1931, more than half the lynchings in the state occurred north of Alexandria. The numbers of African Americans lynched are in the thousands though detailed statistics are skewed because police officers in the northern parishes rarely considered lynchings as homicides.
    Duck Dynasty: Homophobia is one thing, pure ignorance is another | Arkansas Blog | Arkansas news, politics, opinion, restaurants, music, movies and art
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  9. #1589
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    I do not have to prove anything.
    If you are not trying to suggest he is wrong because you think the blues were being sung around his area, then yeah, you don't have to prove it. But if you are, you do.

    So why did you provide information about the blues? What was the purpose? You did say, "And for there not being blues?", so you are suggesting something. What is it?
    If it is the above, then yes you do have to prove.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    I did not make a ridiculous statement like "before entitlement blacks were singing, they were godly and they did not sing the blues".
    He didn't say that either so you are in good company.

    So why are you putting words into his moth that he did not say?

    This is what he said, speaking of his own personal experience. Which is clearly not what you said.

    “I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field.... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    As I have stated facts and anecdotal evidence indicates that were not happy in the time before entitlement, that they were singing the blues in Caddo Parish and that singing while working on the fields and being very religious is not evidence for happy African Americans.

    You have not provided anything about the folk he knew and was speaking about.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    In the Arkansas times is written (in an OP-ED from what I can see):
    Not coincidentally, lynchings increased dramatically after 1900, primarily in the northern parishes of Caddo, Ouachita and Morehouse. Between 1900 and 1931,

    Phil was born in 46. Duh! And he wouldn't have been toiling in the fields with them for at least 8, if not more years, later.
    This crap you are spouting shows nothing and proves nothing in regard to those he knew and was speaking about.
    You know nothing of his personal experience.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  10. #1590
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,465

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    No it doesn't. Nor does it's hyper sensitivity.
    Sure it does. Admit it.

    Phil disparaged Gays and said Blacks were happy picking cotton and not voting. And, your defense of his stupid comments has been various versions of "He didn't say that."

    But, yet we all know he did. I'm not sure what to make of the blatant BS these Phil defenders spew. It's as crazy as when Leftists claimed Clinton's BJ wasn't sex. Wtf?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •