Page 156 of 166 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157158 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,560 of 1658

Thread: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E (W: 742)

  1. #1551
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    No. Nothing in his reinstatement shows you were wrong. But you were still wrong.
    Not on any count was I wrong.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #1552
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,728

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    No. Nothing in his reinstatement shows you were wrong. But you were still wrong.
    The following sentence applies to your arguments here in this thread.

    You can say whatever you want, including that gay people are sinful and full of "murder, envy, strife, hatred" and are in the same league as those who enjoy being penetrated by barnyard animals and that black people were "happy" and were not "singing the blues" when Jim Crow laws ruled America, and as long as you later tack on "I love all of humanity" and I would "never incite or encourage hate" and throw around the word "tolerance," and as long as there's enough money and publicity swirling and more ready to be made, you will face absolutely no consequences and if anything you'll be celebrated as a hero and lauded as an icon of freedom -- some will even go so far as to call you the "Rosa Parks" of our generation -- while the people you were talking about will still be vilified and will have to fight even harder against society's belief that they are -- even in the 21st century, even in a country that is not supposed to be ruled by religion or heartless, hateful zealots -- at their very core all of those vile and (let it be said once and for all) patently untrue things that you said about them.
    Here's Everything We Learned From the Duck Dynasty Controversy Summed Up in Just One Sentence | Noah Michelson

  3. #1553
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,029

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    It's quite possible you aren't clued in as much as you think you are. Peter. I've spent a few years in Europe and they'll happily debate Americans about what's really going on in America, despite them never having set foot there. And yet, ironically, it is also the Europeans who call Americans "arrogant".

    PeteEU also quotes movies as reliable sources and it only serves to embarrass the poster..
    But I am not using movie references, I am using historical references from websites about the struggle of African Americans for human rights.

    And I am not going to get into a discussion about why some Europeans find some Americans arrogant and vice versa, it is a useless and non-productive discussion with people wrong on both sides of that discussion IMHO.

    Some Europeans might say we know how it feels to be without human rights and freedom. A lot of Europeans and Americans died because of the Nazi's taking over Europe and enslaving and dehumanizing scores upon scores of Dutch citizens. Nobody thrives when they are without basic human rights and security of being. We in Europe felt that through Hitler and his Germans, we hated it and a lot of people died to fight for their freedom, they too were willing to lay down their lives for possible freedom for their loved ones.

    A lot of African Americans who risked their life for simple things like sitting on the bus where you want, for having the right to vote and many more things like that did not think that their lives before the Jim Crow laws were eradicated, were happy lives. No matter how many songs they were singing or how many times they went to church.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  4. #1554
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    But I am not using movie references, I am using historical references from websites about the struggle of African Americans for human rights.

    And I am not going to get into a discussion about why some Europeans find some Americans arrogant and vice versa, it is a useless and non-productive discussion with people wrong on both sides of that discussion IMHO.

    Some Europeans might say we know how it feels to be without human rights and freedom. A lot of Europeans and Americans died because of the Nazi's taking over Europe and enslaving and dehumanizing scores upon scores of Dutch citizens. Nobody thrives when they are without basic human rights and security of being. We in Europe felt that through Hitler and his Germans, we hated it and a lot of people died to fight for their freedom, they too were willing to lay down their lives for possible freedom for their loved ones.

    A lot of African Americans who risked their life for simple things like sitting on the bus where you want, for having the right to vote and many more things like that did not think that their lives before the Jim Crow laws were eradicated, were happy lives. No matter how many songs they were singing or how many times they went to church.
    Mr. King, do you think that every town, every community, every city, every corner of America in the 60s were as deplorable as the most publicized famous images of the times? Because if so you are being willfully ignorant at best, and wholly dishonest at worst.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #1555
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Mr. King, do you think that every town, every community, every city, every corner of America in the 60s were as deplorable as the most publicized famous images of the times? Because if so you are being willfully ignorant at best, and wholly dishonest at worst.
    He just doesn't know but, like most Europeans, he thinks he knows. He's being honest from his European point of view.

  6. #1556
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,029

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Logicman View Post
    Because the majority of them support illicit same sex marriage and they don't want anyone speaking out that homosexual sin is wrong.
    Same sex marriage is not illicit, it may have been forbidden on the national level but it is not illegal as much as it is impossible to wed with a same sex partner on the National Federal level. In quite some states it is perfectly legal to be married to a same-sex partner.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  7. #1557
    Sage
    Logicman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,691

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Same sex marriage is not illicit, it may have been forbidden on the national level but it is not illegal as much as it is impossible to wed with a same sex partner on the National Federal level. In quite some states it is perfectly legal to be married to a same-sex partner.
    It's illicit in the eyes of God.

  8. #1558
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,296
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Logicman View Post
    It's illicit in the eyes of God.
    So what?

  9. #1559
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,029

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Mr. King, do you think that every town, every community, every city, every corner of America in the 60s were as deplorable as the most publicized famous images of the times? Because if so you are being willfully ignorant at best, and wholly dishonest at worst.
    Do I think every town was as bad as the worst towns? No, I did not state that but I do know that in that era segregation was common good and violence against blacks was common place.

    Mr. J-Mac, it is also incredibly ignorant to claim that singing in the fields, singing in church/being religious is a sign of being happy. And what is really ignorant and possibly wholly dishonest is to claim that in those days (because they sang, prayed, etc.) they were happier than after they got human rights.

    Because having your human rights restored is the most important thing ever. The American patriots fought the British to get their freedom and human rights. The shot heard round the world, the fight for freedom and the war that freed you from the British. Would you want the old days back? No, and neither would African Americans. They with almost certainty do not think that the "good old segregated Jim Crow days were better than after they got their civil rights".
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  10. #1560
    Sage
    Logicman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,691

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    So what?
    So be enlightened.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •