Page 155 of 166 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155156157165 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,550 of 1658

Thread: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E (W: 742)

  1. #1541
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Logicman View Post
    Because the majority of them support illicit same sex marriage and they don't want anyone speaking out that homosexual sin is wrong.
    True, I'm not fond of bigotry, but eating crow tends mean I'm wrong about something. Nothing in his being reinstated makes me or anyone wrong.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #1542
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,903

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    DUCK and ROVE are now the titular leaders of the GOP..
    Rove is currently fanning out looking for RINO candidates to take on TEAts..

    Dems need to step back and enjoy the show..
    Watch Duckk's greatest ^hits on Cable, especially the coming ones on ACA .
    When was Limbaugh dethroned? I thought progressives considered him to be the leader of the GOP.

  3. #1543
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,805

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    When was Limbaugh dethroned? I thought progressives considered him to be the leader of the GOP.
    Since when have the arch-right-ists owned Limbaugh?.As for Rushbo, I'm sure he's working on some new material to defend and promote the TEA-wings latest star..I'll be looking for what you guys think starting with Sunday's political shows .
    Physics is Phun

  4. #1544
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,026

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Multiple southern friends? You have a Phd in Southern Culture.

    I'm willing to bet that none of those people, nor their ancestors EVER hoed cotton alongside black folks.
    Yes sure, try not to discuss the issue yet again. Phil Robertson is a fool to suggest that African Americans were happier before they got their civil rights. He might truly feel that way but history and the facts show a very different story.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  5. #1545
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Yes sure, try not to discuss the issue yet again. Phil Robertson is a fool to suggest that African Americans were happier before they got their civil rights. He might truly feel that way but history and the facts show a very different story.
    Well, so far, you haven't produced annecdotal evidence and southern acquaintances to prove him wrong.

    50 years ago the black family was still intact. Now it's no longer existant. That's not something to be happy about. Bad thinhs have befallen the Black Cinmunity over the past 50 years. Only the ignorant among us--or from a foreign country--would believe that life is better now for the average black person than it was 50 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #1546
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Only the ignorant among us--or from a foreign country--would believe that life is better now for the average black person than it was 50 years ago.
    I disagree somewhat.

    Off topic, but good article:

    Sometimes I sarcastically, perhaps cynically, say that I'm glad that I received virtually all of my education before it became fashionable for white people to like black people," writes Walter Williams in his new autobiography, "Up from the Projects." "By that I mean that I encountered back then a more honest assessment of my strengths and weaknesses. Professors didn't hesitate to criticize me—sometimes to the point of saying, 'That's nonsense.'"

    Mr. Williams, an economist at George Mason University, is contrasting being black and poor in the 1940s and '50s with today's experience. It's a theme that permeates his short, bracing volume of reminiscence, and it's where we began our conversation on a recent morning at his home in suburban Philadelphia.
    The rest of the article can be found here.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  7. #1547
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    All nice and dandy, but why on earth, would black people complain about white people in front of someone who was white in that part of the USA during the time that Robertson was a young whippersnapper?

    It is illogical that they would do so.

    And why did blacks sing in the fields and in the churches? They did not do this as an expression of happiness. They did it on the fields to make the hard and boring work somewhat more bearable. They sung so beautifully in the churches as an expression of hope for better times because the times they lived in were filled with discrimination and hardship.

    Again, this may have been the personal thoughts of the young Phil Robertson when he grew up, when he did not know about the civil rights movement and the horrors the African Americans lived in during those times. But with age comes knowledge one would hope and I just think what he said may not have been intended as hurtful but a lot of people who fought for civil liberties for African Americans are hurt by these comments.
    It's quite possible you aren't clued in as much as you think you are. Peter. I've spent a few years in Europe and they'll happily debate Americans about what's really going on in America, despite them never having set foot there. And yet, ironically, it is also the Europeans who call Americans "arrogant".

    PeteEU also quotes movies as reliable sources and it only serves to embarrass the poster..

  8. #1548
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    I disagree somewhat.
    Off topic, but good article:
    The rest of the article can be found here.
    Great article, thanks. Have always been a fan of both Williams and Sowell.

  9. #1549
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,026

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Well, so far, you haven't produced annecdotal evidence and southern acquaintances to prove him wrong.

    50 years ago the black family was still intact. Now it's no longer existant. That's not something to be happy about. Bad thinhs have befallen the Black Cinmunity over the past 50 years. Only the ignorant among us--or from a foreign country--would believe that life is better now for the average black person than it was 50 years ago.
    I have given loads of anecdotal evidence about how the life of African Americans was about 60 years ago.

    60 years ago, you could get killed if you talked back to a white person.

    60 years ago, you were completely segregated from white people.

    60 years ago, you were not able to register to vote as a black person. In Louisiana, Robertson's home state they made it impossible for blacks to register.

    Again, he might not have been aware of the violence towards blacks in his area, but that is a long way away from claiming that they were happier living in the Jim Crow dominated South.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  10. #1550
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    but eating crow tends mean I'm wrong about something. Nothing in his being reinstated makes me or anyone wrong.
    No. Nothing in his reinstatement shows you were wrong. But you were still wrong.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •