Page 143 of 166 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 1658

Thread: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E (W: 742)

  1. #1421
    Advisor TML's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    09-23-15 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    520

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    What you expect is one thing. However, when you sign a behavior clause and you go public, you can be fired.
    True, but that is only the defense against the reality that without such so-called moral clause it would without doubt be a violation of the civil rights act concerning discrimination.
    Careful now, you are supporting also the right of a Catholic school to fire a teacher that "comes out", for the same reason.
    Last edited by TML; 12-24-13 at 02:51 AM.
    In matters of style, swim with the current; In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

  2. #1422
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by TML View Post
    True, but that is only the defense against the reality that without such so-called moral clause it would without doubt be a violation of the civil rights act concerning discrimination.
    Careful now, you are supporting also the right of a Catholic school to fire a teacher that "comes out", for the same reason.
    Teachers have been fired.

    However, that us different. Entertainment us a fleeting business, dependent on many factors. A pastor that doesn't hold to the beliefs of a congregation will likely lose his job. A teacher who believes women shouldn't be educated, risks bring fired as well. It's not about what some is (homosexual / fundamentalist), but what they do as it relates to specifics of the job. A vegan PETA believer isn't likely suited for slaughterhouse work.

    But the point is, this is about a contract violation. Nothing more.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #1423
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Teachers have been fired.

    However, that us different. Entertainment us a fleeting business, dependent on many factors. A pastor that doesn't hold to the beliefs of a congregation will likely lose his job. A teacher who believes women shouldn't be educated, risks bring fired as well. It's not about what some is (homosexual / fundamentalist), but what they do as it relates to specifics of the job. A vegan PETA believer isn't likely suited for slaughterhouse work.

    But the point is, this is about a contract violation. Nothing more.
    Yet no one has posted the supposed "contract violation" that you say exists...So, until the specifics are posted then you are doing little more than speculating.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #1424
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Yet no one has posted the supposed "contract violation" that you say exists...So, until the specifics are posted then you are doing little more than speculating.
    Actually they have. Just read above you and follow the conversation.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #1425
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Actually they have. Just read above you and follow the conversation.
    Well, I am not going to search 143 pages of postings to hopefully find this supposed posting of the contract clause...If you know it's out there, just post it, or admit that you have nothing.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #1426
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Well, I am not going to search 143 pages of postings to hopefully find this supposed posting of the contract clause...If you know it's out there, just post it, or admit that you have nothing.
    You only had to go back two spaces.

    'Duck Dynasty': A&E warned Phil Robertson about speaking out too much - latimes.com

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #1427
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Yet no one has posted the supposed "contract violation" that you say exists...So, until the specifics are posted then you are doing little more than speculating.
    Actually they have. Just read above you and follow the conversation.
    Actually it hasn't.


    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post

    No such clause was posted.


    "Phil and other family members also probably signed contracts containing "morals clauses""

    Probably, does not mean, definitely.


    Then we have A&E's responsibility in this, as they were present during the interview.
    They did not intercede, so it must have been fine by their standards.

    They would have a tough time explaining their actions if this was taken to court.
    You can't be ok with it when it is done and then turn around and cite a violation of a moral clause because some extremists come along and played the homophobe card.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  8. #1428
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Actually they have. Just read above you and follow the conversation.
    That claim is false.

  9. #1429
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E


  10. #1430
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Just to make this crap stop, I'd join AlQ and target the Duck family.

    Y'all have driven me to terrorism.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •