Page 138 of 166 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148 ... LastLast
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 1658

Thread: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E (W: 742)

  1. #1371
    Advisor TML's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    09-23-15 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    520

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    These happen all the time, and not one lawsuit. So, yes, that is evidence. He wasn't fired for religion.
    It usually doesn't concern a religious belief, so that's a broad generalization, and a fallacy to think because it hasn't happened in the past (if that's even true) that consequently no case is ever applicable.

    Considering that it was a direct answer to a question regarding what constituted sin, with a paraphrased bible verse, it was a termination based on stating ones religious belief.
    If it was a homosexual asked the question, offended people, and subsequently terminated, they would say it's because he is homosexual and thus a Civil Rights violation. This is no different.
    The only thing that would curtail a Civil Rights Action, I believe, is the content of any moral clause in the contract.
    In matters of style, swim with the current; In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

  2. #1372
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by TML View Post
    It usually doesn't concern a religious belief, so that's a broad generalization, and a fallacy to think because it hasn't happened in the past (if that's even true) that consequently no case is ever applicable.

    Considering that it was a direct answer to a question regarding what constituted sin, with a paraphrased bible verse, it was a termination based on stating ones religious belief.
    If it was a homosexual asked the question, offended people, and subsequently terminated, they would say it's because he is homosexual and thus a Civil Rights violation. This is no different.
    The only thing that would curtail a Civil Rights Action, I believe, is the content of any moral clause in the contract.
    Bigotry is a belief. The klan hold religious beliefs. Worshipping satan is a religious belief. But actions that embarrass an organization will always result in firing. It's not about the belief, but the behavior. Remember, he didn't only speak about sexual preference but race. It's nit about his religion, but his behavior.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #1373
    Advisor TML's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    09-23-15 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    520

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Bigotry is a belief. The klan hold religious beliefs. Worshipping satan is a religious belief. But actions that embarrass an organization will always result in firing. It's not about the belief, but the behavior. Remember, he didn't only speak about sexual preference but race. It's nit about his religion, but his behavior.
    If you ask the "Klan" what they think of blacks, what answer would you expect?
    If you ask a Satanist what they think of God, what answer do you expect?
    And if you ask a Christian what they think of homosexuality, what answer would you expect?
    Claiming the "behavior" of answering a religious question with a bible verse is an embarrassment to a television network is discrimination.
    The case, and this discussion, hasn't concerned statements of race, but statements of religion regarding sexual behavior.
    In matters of style, swim with the current; In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

  4. #1374
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,868
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    So therefore, given that the text of the first amendment is that [paraphrased] the government may not inhibit free speech, why are we bitching about A&E infringing rights?



    Because some people aren't happy that Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson is catching hell for the comments that he made about gays and Blacks.

    Every one in the USA has free speech, but running your mouth has consequences.

  5. #1375
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    55,071

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Because some people aren't happy that Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson is catching hell for the comments that he made about gays and Blacks.

    Every one in the USA has free speech, but running your mouth has consequences.
    Wait...people are upset that he quoted a bible verse regarding homosexuals and said that the black people he worked the fields with werent bitter angry and hate filled?

    Oh..wait...thats right. You already know your comments regarding blacks are lies but as you said yesterday...you are going to mindlessly cling to your lies and ignore what was ACTUALLY said. I forgot for a second. Busy day. Carry on.

  6. #1376
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,868
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Wait...people are upset that he quoted a bible verse regarding homosexuals and said that the black people he worked the fields with werent bitter angry and hate filled?

    Oh..wait...thats right. You already know your comments regarding blacks are lies but as you said yesterday...you are going to mindlessly cling to your lies and ignore what was ACTUALLY said. I forgot for a second. Busy day.
    Carry on.



    I intend to carry on, whether you or anyone else likes it or not.

    I am not running for President of the Glee Club and I don't need or even want everyone's support.




    "Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~Robert Green Ingersoll

  7. #1377
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    55,071

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    I intend to carry on, whether you or anyone else likes it or not.

    I am not running for President of the Glee Club and I don't need or even want everyone's support.




    "Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~Robert Green Ingersoll
    Oh...by all means...I think you SHOULD carry on. Lying...INTENTIONALLY lying...lying in spite of your absolute knowledge that you are lying speaks VOLUMES of you and I think you SHOULD keep doing it.

  8. #1378
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    01-17-18 @ 05:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,825

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Because some people aren't happy that Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson is catching hell for the comments that he made about gays and Blacks.

    Every one in the USA has free speech, but running your mouth has consequences.
    Umm...

    I heard about the homosexual part, but I don't think any racism occurred.

    Bah, why do I bother myself with this kind of drivel.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  9. #1379
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,868
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Oh...by all means...I think you SHOULD carry on. Lying...INTENTIONALLY lying...lying in spite of your absolute knowledge that you are lying speaks VOLUMES of you and
    I think you SHOULD keep doing it
    .



    Whatever.

    Keep doing whatever turns you on, just don't name it after me.

  10. #1380
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,868
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Umm...

    I heard about the homosexual part, but I don't think any racism occurred.

    Bah, why do I bother myself with this kind of drivel.



    Trying to keep up with what's going on in the Duck Dynasty World?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •