Page 137 of 166 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 1658

Thread: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E (W: 742)

  1. #1361
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    WTF does Canada have to do with an issue with an American Show and a comment about homosexuality in the United States of America?

    Muslim countries also stone gays to death, which of course has nothing to do with this thread as well.
    Unlike Muslim countries, Canada is not only in close proximity to America geographically but also close with respect to cultural norms and possibly cultural trends. If Saudi Arabi Arabia embraced some new cultural ideal, I think it would be at leat worth discussing that it might spread to Kuwait, the UAE and other countries close geographically and socially.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  2. #1362
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    If that's the case then a person cannot be fired for being gay but can be rightly fired for expressing the belief that gays should be allowed to marry or being caught in some flamboyant gay attire at some gay pride parade while off the clock.
    Many gays have lost their jobs. Still do. But if you work for a small town school system and you're on tv behaving in an embarrassing way, you will lose your job. Btw, the gay comment wasn't the only one he made. I find the racial bigotry problematic as well. But the point is, no civil rights were violated. You guys are framing it wrong.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #1363
    Sage
    Ontologuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,516

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    What is absolutely crazy about A&E's audience damage-control biased pandering is that they are criticizing Robertson's religious freedom because his comments about homosexuality were quotes and paraphrases from the Bible within the context of his Christian religion.

    He thus made religious text references within the framework of his religion, accurately and within his religious rights.

    For A&E to criticize Robertson's statements on the grounds that it is "offensive to homosexuals" is a blatant off-topic remark, as in reality A&E's reaction is nothing but a criticism of Robertson's religious freedom.

    Last I looked, no gay and lesbian or related group has usurped anyone's religious rights.

    Thus these gay and lesbian group complaints are complaints about another American's religious faith, and nothing more.

    They are essentially saying that, "people who have a Biblical faith as Christians should not be allowed to voice their opinion when asked nor should they be allowed to speak freely of their religious beliefs".

    This is absolutely rights-violating behavior by A&E, erroneously punishing innocent Robertson for the sake of ratings by appeasing a huge viewer base: the left-wing liberal disaffected coalition.

    Pandering to this left-wing liberal disaffected coalition will be the unjustified death of freedom of action rights in America.
    You don't trust Trump? Well, there's only one way to leverage him to do what's economically right for us all: Powerful American Political Alliance. Got courage?! .. and a mere $5.00?

  4. #1364
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Why people care so much about this is weird to me.

    Some (apparent) moron on a 'reality' show has backwards views about gays - so?

    And then some PC network fired him for it - so?

    Sounds like free speech and free enterprise being exercised to me.

    Don't like it - complain to the network.

  5. #1365
    Advisor TML's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    09-23-15 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    520

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    That's not what he was terminated for. He had clear beliefs before the interview there was no issue. He was fired for failing to realize he represents the program. Any of us who go out in public representing our companies best be advised to speak like you know you're in public. He was not fired for his religion, but for his poor judgement.
    I disagree, as I stated on post #1353
    In matters of style, swim with the current; In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

  6. #1366
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by TML View Post
    The belief is the religion. Firing someone for answering a direct question regarding sin, with a paraphrased bible verse, is to fire them because of their religion. I disagree that the standard contractual moral clause would/should necessarily be applicable on this particular case - that a non-violent religious moral position somehow intrinsically harms the network (I would think the discontinuing of the record-breaking show as a result would be more harmful). A standard disclaimer from A&E regarding programs or interviews that do not represent the views of A&E would be a better route, IMO
    And you're still wrong. Factually. There's a reason there's no lawsuit being considered. This will be settled in the market. Not the courts.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #1367
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,277

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Many gays have lost their jobs. Still do. But if you work for a small town school system and you're on tv behaving in an embarrassing way, you will lose your job. Btw, the gay comment wasn't the only one he made. I find the racial bigotry problematic as well. But the point is, no civil rights were violated. You guys are framing it wrong.
    Im not making the civil rights argument, so I agree with you there--there was no civil rights violation. He was free to make those comments and AE was free to can him for making them. Personally, I think AE overreacted and should not have fired the guy. If people are offended by his beliefs they should watch the show. The idea that anyone who doesn't tow the PC line should be targeted from destruction is what I oppose.

  8. #1368
    Advisor TML's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    09-23-15 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    520

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    And you're still wrong. Factually. There's a reason there's no lawsuit being considered. This will be settled in the market. Not the courts.
    Well, I think you're wrong too. Factually.
    Btw, the fact that no lawsuit has been made isn't evidence that it hasn't been considered or that there couldn't be. Such cases are always tough but it comes down to the exact wording of any so-called moral clause which we don't have the luxury of examining here.
    In matters of style, swim with the current; In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

  9. #1369
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Im not making the civil rights argument, so I agree with you there--there was no civil rights violation. He was free to make those comments and AE was free to can him for making them. Personally, I think AE overreacted and should not have fired the guy. If people are offended by his beliefs they should watch the show. The idea that anyone who doesn't tow the PC line should be targeted from destruction is what I oppose.
    I don't disagree. I'm merely arguing it isn't a civil rights issue.

    Though I'm not sure it's PC as much as commerce. People have always put their jobs at risk by what they say and do, long before anyone used the term PC.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #1370
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by TML View Post
    Well, I think you're wrong too. Factually.
    Btw, the fact that no lawsuit has been made isn't evidence that it hasn't been considered or that there couldn't be. Such cases are always tough but it comes down to the exact wording of any so-called moral clause which we don't have the luxury of examining here.
    These happen all the time, and not one lawsuit. So, yes, that is evidence. He wasn't fired for religion.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •