Page 136 of 166 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 1658

Thread: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E (W: 742)

  1. #1351
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    A&E is the Arts & Entertainment Network.

    The government is the people in Washington, D.C. who take all of your money and spend it or give it to other people.
    So therefore, given that the text of the first amendment is that [paraphrased] the government may not inhibit free speech, why are we bitching about A&E infringing rights?

  2. #1352
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    WTF does Canada have to do with an issue with an American Show and a comment about homosexuality in the United States of America?

    Muslim countries also stone gays to death, which of course has nothing to do with this thread as well.
    I expect a few people in Canada watch A&E too.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  3. #1353
    Advisor TML's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    09-23-15 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    520

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Actually it just says religion, not religious belief. Phil can't be fired for being a Christian, he can be fired for damn near anything and everything else. Louisiana is a 'right to work state' which grants broad firing powers to an employer. A&E CAN suspend Phil if they feel his words/actions/ violate the A&E principles. They can can him for disobeying A&E directives.

    This isn't a freedom of speech/religion issue. It is a contractual one.
    The belief is the religion. Firing someone for answering a direct question regarding sin, with a paraphrased bible verse, is to fire them because of their religion. I disagree that the standard contractual moral clause would/should necessarily be applicable on this particular case - that a non-violent religious moral position somehow intrinsically harms the network (I would think the discontinuing of the record-breaking show as a result would be more harmful). A standard disclaimer from A&E regarding programs or interviews that do not represent the views of A&E would be a better route, IMO
    In matters of style, swim with the current; In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

  4. #1354
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Sorry to disagree, they are not looking for tolerance but for equal rights under the law and they wish not to be insulted, discriminated or to be the victims of violent hate crimes.
    they can **** anyone or anything they choose, no one cares.

  5. #1355
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by TML View Post
    The belief is the religion. Firing someone for answering a direct question regarding sin, with a paraphrased bible verse, is to fire them because of their religion. I disagree that the standard contractual moral clause would/should necessarily be applicable on this particular case - that a non-violent religious moral position somehow intrinsically harms the network (I would think the discontinuing of the record-breaking show as a result would be more harmful). A standard disclaimer from A&E regarding programs or interviews that do not represent the views of A&E would be a better route, IMO
    Yes, bigotry is a belief. But there is no right to keep a job or be on the air. No network has to keep anyone employed.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #1356
    Advisor TML's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    09-23-15 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    520

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Yes, bigotry is a belief. But there is no right to keep a job or be on the air. No network has to keep anyone employed.
    True, however, under federal law Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the belief (thus the religion), can not be the reason an employer terminates someone.
    In matters of style, swim with the current; In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

  7. #1357
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by TML View Post
    True, however, under federal law Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the belief (thus the religion), can not be the reason an employer terminates someone.
    That's not what he was terminated for. He had clear beliefs before the interview there was no issue. He was fired for failing to realize he represents the program. Any of us who go out in public representing our companies best be advised to speak like you know you're in public. He was not fired for his religion, but for his poor judgement.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #1358
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,066

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Why is this such a big political deal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  9. #1359
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,273

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Yes, bigotry is a belief. But there is no right to keep a job or be on the air. No network has to keep anyone employed.
    If that's the case then a person cannot be fired for being gay but can be rightly fired for expressing the belief that gays should be allowed to marry or being caught in some flamboyant gay attire at some gay pride parade while off the clock.

  10. #1360
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Why is this such a big political deal?
    News is taking a Christmas break.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •