Page 13 of 166 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 1658

Thread: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E (W: 742)

  1. #121
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    When did having an opposing view become intolerant?
    Seriously, this idea on the right that tolerance = silence is puzzling.


    I don't necessarily agree with A&E's actions here, but your definition of the word "intolerant" is wrong.



    Anyone who thinks that 'tolerant' means that people sit with there arms folded, mouths closed, and never say a word about peoples intolerance is out of touch with reality.




    "Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.

  2. #122
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I disagree. What you are arguing is nothing more than circular reasoning.
    No. I don't think so. I just commented on the non-existent logic. But hey, it's all good.

  3. #123
    Assassin
    Verax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,414

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    I got to hand it to you conservatives though... nobody plays the victim card like you. This swamp water douche spews his hate at the national level and the real victims are... conservatives! Who cares about the sinful beast rapers, what about the feelings of the haters? What about their rights to insult half the country without consequences?

    The free market strikes again!

  4. #124
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,158

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    It's still essentially the same. I don't really see what he said as an attack, especially considering he really was quoting directly out of the bible. (Though you'd be surprised how much hateful stuff is in there). People haven't waited a second to attack him because of their beliefs, should they all be fired?

    Whether we should allow discrimination laws or not is another question, but as long as they do exist, we should all be equal under them.
    “Everything is blurred on what’s right and what’s wrong… Sin becomes fine. Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men.”
    This is a quote of his..the normal "homosexual is fine...then everything goes" argument. Do you think a homosexual on TV would be fired for saying "one moment it's going to church the next it's enslaving others, stoning women..." you get the picture. Sure he would.

    Also I'm not sure it fits into law about discrimination...he's not being discriminated due to being a religious guy...he's being suspended because of words he said.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  5. #125
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Mind you, I'm pro-SSM and about as anti-religious as one can be, but I'm starting to get a little concerned with the gross imbalance between gay rights and religious rights as pertaining to anti-discrimination laws.

    Essentially, a homosexual can say or do anything expressing his homosexuality and he is protected from any kind of discrimination with hiring and firing, but a christian quoting pretty much directly out of the bible can be fired for the same thing.

    All I'm saying is we should have a little bit of consistency here. If A&E were to fire a homosexual for saying something homosexual in a non-related magazine, wouldn't everyone lose their ****?
    Life isn't a flat line, it's a wavy one. After years of homosexuality being demonized, it's only appropriate for the wave to sway equally in the other direction for a while. Evenso it's not nearly as big a wave, yet, as it was when it was rigidly close minded.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  6. #126
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    I got to hand it to you conservatives though... nobody plays the victim card like you. This swamp water douche spews his hate at the national level and the real victims are... conservatives! Who cares about the sinful beast rapers, what about the feelings of the haters? What about their rights to insult half the country without consequences?

    The free market strikes again!
    you think suspending someone from the most profitable show on a particular network has something to do with market economics?

    you got any proof of that?

  7. #127
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Life isn't a flat line, it's a wavy one. After years of homosexuality being demonized, it's only appropriate for the wave to sway equally in the other direction for a while. Evenso it's not nearly as big a wave, yet, as it was when it was rigidly close minded.
    cool. we agree this was an overreaction.

  8. #128
    Assassin
    Verax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,414

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    you think suspending someone from the most profitable show on a particular network has something to do with market economics?

    you got any proof of that?
    You're joking right? The network cut him to try and protect itself, no? This is the most basic argument of the "free market" that people vote with their wallet and their feet. I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here.

  9. #129
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    You're joking right? The network cut him to try and protect itself, no? This is the most basic argument of the "free market" that people vote with their wallet and their feet. I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here.
    Hat people routinely abandon their principals when their culture is at stake.

  10. #130
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    You're joking right? The network cut him to try and protect itself, no? This is the most basic argument of the "free market" that people vote with their wallet and their feet. I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here.
    you are making assumptions.

    some people make decisions based not on money, but on what they think is right or wrong.

    you assumed this was about economics, but you have no proof. you are arguing from a position of ignorance, but carry on

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •