Page 115 of 166 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125165 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 1658

Thread: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E (W: 742)

  1. #1141
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    he could have cited the ten commandments as his guide. but he didn't. he instead pointed to homosexuals as a group engaging in an unacceptable manner. hardly a tolerant view ... but a belief which passed a generation or two ago, like discriminating against people of color was then found acceptable


    the bible is filled with offensive comments
    which should cause people with a mind to ponder any such religion which would embrace such offensive positions
    but phil expressed his personal embrace of such intolerant views
    and now he is suspended from his job for his intolerant positions publicly expressed, because his employer does not want to be viewed as subscribing to such intolerant beliefs by its association with him


    his personal intolerance made himself a very easy target to be gunned down
    and we didn't even need a duck call ... well, other than the one he provided
    Bull ****!
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #1142
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    I did not say that it did. I was talking in general about how anti-gay comments contribute to an atmosphere of disrespect, hatred and possibly violence.
    You clearly tried to equate them

    Gays have to live with hatred, disapproval and unfair and biased comments and opinions and I think it is perfectly acceptable if they speak up against a very public figure who has anti-gay opinions.
    Yes, anti-gay opinions, not hat crimes and discrimination, which your above rant concerned ...


    That is your opinion, I disagree
    No, it's not my opinion, it's a fact they are not the same thing. And to try and act as if they are is the very height of dishonesty

  3. #1143
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    to a properly raised five year old, they would recognize his words as bigoted upon hearing them
    what seems to have the reich wing's panties in a bunch is that his employer imposed consequences for its employee making public expressions which were potentially damaging to the employer because of an affiliation with this 19th century yokel
    A&E certainly has a right to terminate his employment, but let's not act as if their actions were anything but a response to a threatened boycott. A threatened boycott designed to remove his speech from the public arena and an act that serves no larger agenda in a positive manner. As I said, all it accomplishes is to push such attitudes and views underground and lend legitimacy to them through the perception of persecution. You're better off just using your own public podium to address them and reveal them for the stupidity they are

  4. #1144
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,917

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    oh, he said something extremely ignorant
    he believes that homosexuals should have less rights than heterosexuals. how is that NOT an ignorant statement

    it is phil robertson who is putting his intolerance on display, NOT the LGBT community ... all they want is to be treated with equality
    Considering he is a fundie, I am not surprised to hear him say that...and neither should be A&E.

    What gets me...is what lies at the heart of this statement.
    “Everything is blurred on what’s right and what’s wrong … Sin becomes fine. Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men … “Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers—they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right … “
    Sex is sin.

    Why do fundies always revert back to focusing on sex? It's as if all sin was derived from Sex. But, yet, Jesus---who I assume these people really want to follow---never really spoke out against sex.

    Sex, and every archaic rule associated with it, was mentioned in the Old Testament. Sure. But, it's not mentioned much in the new one. I thought the whole idea of Jesus was to put the old T to rest. After all, no one really follows all the crazy stuff written in that version of the Bible. For example, who follows any of this anyway?
    11 Things The Bible Bans, But You Do Anyway - 11 Points

  5. #1145
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    I rarely go shopping besides tools, bicycle stores and sporting goods stores, but this time of year I do go Christmas shopping. One of the things I noticed was all the Duck Dynasty stuff everywhere. I bet this whole thing is advertising just like Chik-FilA thing was. I bet the dynasty sells a lot more stuff because of it.
    of course they will, because people don't like the idea that they can't hold dissenting opinions

  6. #1146
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,917

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    of course they will, because people don't like the idea that they can't hold dissenting opinions
    Yeah, I couldn't help noticing all the Martin Brashir stuff being sold at the Wal-Mart

  7. #1147
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Yeah, I couldn't help noticing all the Martin Brashir stuff being sold at the Wal-Mart
    1)Serious, this must be one of the laughable arguments to come out of this discussion: In what way do you imagine a journalist, on his news show, is held to the same professional standards as a reality TV star?

    2) he didn't even present a personal opinion about a social issue, he attacked an individual.

  8. #1148
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,483

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    He could have said that he would not make comments about that subject or that he personally thinks homosexuality is not in accordance with his religious beliefs.

    That is something that even A&E would most likely have been at peace with.

    He did not do that, he said things in such a manner (about not only homosexuality but about blacks too) that made A&E decide not to work with him anymore.

    And he made himself a target mostly for how he said things IMHO and not because he does not agree with homosexuality or gay weddings etc.
    A&E didn't know they had a problem with anything he said until GLAAD told them they did.

  9. #1149
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,917

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    1)Serious, this must be one of the laughable arguments to come out of this discussion: In what way do you imagine a journalist, on his news show, is held to the same professional standards as a reality TV star?
    Oh, so no MSNBC is a "News Show". Really? Isn't that convenient.

    2) he didn't even present a personal opinion about a social issue, he attacked an individual.
    No. He attacked her asinine position, comparing slavery to the national debt, which resulted in a crude remark.

  10. #1150
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Oh, so no MSNBC is a "News Show". Really? Isn't that convenient.
    lol, is this a serious question? If not news programming, what exactly is the type of programming you think MSNBC is peddling?


    No. He attacked her asinine position, comparing slavery to the national debt, which resulted in a crude remark.
    Calamity, if I suggest someone needs to **** in your mouth, clearly my comments are directed at you as an individual, not the idea you are expressing. Because ****ting in your mouth does nothing to address the idea you are expressing

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •