Page 111 of 166 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1658

Thread: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E (W: 742)

  1. #1101
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Sorry, but then why should anyone tolerate conservatives? They have no more rights to that than that gays have.

    Why would we tolerate people like Phil Robertson, he is free to his opinion and so am I. If Robertson does not want to be disrespected/insulted than he should not make publicly make his insulting comments, if you insult people you might get insults back.

    But the reaction of A&E is not disrespectful but they are just standing up for their employees and other people who happen to be gay.
    Then you are intolerant, you are the real bigot, if that is the case.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #1102
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,569

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Born Free View Post
    Go it, you are one of those liberals that are intolerant and discriminate against people that don't believe as you do.
    But Phil was found guilty of wrong speak and wrong think. Phil is not a member of a special protected class.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #1103
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,018

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    I'm not sure why the terms "hate crime" and "discriminated" are even being used here. But on the topic of "insulted" people need to realize at this point and time we are going through a shift n views concerning homosexuality and that actively trying to root out such opinions is going to be counter productive in the long run. Better to let them die their natural death and address them in the court of public opinion. That way they get exposed for the stupidity they are and you don't inadvertently validate the idea that such views are being actively suppressed
    You do not sure why hate crimes and being discriminated are being used here? Well, those are the extreme reactions to vile anti-gay views not unlike Robertson vocalizes. He might not be doing it or approving of it but it is the reality that gays have to live with. Sadly anti-gay crime is still a problem and with people saying anti-gay comments does not help in the fights of anti-gay crime.

    What Robertson said may not have been as horrible as Kevin Swanson said:

    I think you can attend a [gay] wedding if you hold up a sign that reads Leviticus 20:13
    In other words, attend a wedding and tell the couple that they should be murdered. Because that is what leviticus says:

    "If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."


    I understand that in the US you can spew all the hatred you want but if you do that, like Phil Robertson, you should expect push-back from those who disagree with him.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  4. #1104
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Here is how I see it:

    Phil Robertson is free to have his moronic and archaic views about gays and is free to say his hurtful and stupid comments because he is a person with an opinion (guaranteed by the constitution).

    A&E is free to have their views about gays and their views about how they do not agree with the hurtful and stupid comments made by Phil Robertson and they are free to act upon this because they too have the same freedom of speech rights as Robertson has. A&E for all purposes intended is a person under the constitution and thus have a constitutional right to free speech as well. And if you are of that opinion that the words of Robertson are totally unacceptable for you as a person/company, you have the right to not cooperate with such a person anymore.

    Also, Phil Robertson did not only make anti-gay comments but he also made moronic comments about blacks, the moron and chief of the Ducks stated:

    “I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field.... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”

    Phil Robertson On Racism In GQ Article - Business Insider

    Sure, in the segregated period of the United States blacks were happy working the fields and singing. And the Blues according to the Duckster must have taken place after they were "entitled", when they were happy slaving away on the fields not having real civil rights.
    His personal opinion and beliefs are not moronic.
    You do not have to agree with them, but saying they are moronic, is well, moronic and bigoted.


    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  5. #1105
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,018

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Born Free View Post
    Go it, you are one of those liberals that are intolerant and discriminate against people that don't believe as you do.
    So again, I have to be tolerant to people who refuse to be tolerant themselves, people who have voiced their own intolerant points of view?

    I am not the one who started to be intolerant. I have no problem with people who privately think being gay is a sin, but if they voice their intolerance than they have to expect gays and the people who support the equal rights movement for gays to disapprove of those comments.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  6. #1106
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,018

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Then you are intolerant, you are the real bigot, if that is the case.
    Sure, I am the bigot for disagreeing or disliking the comment of a bigot. I call that conservative reasoning, attack all those who dare to expose bigots for the bigotry by calling them bigots.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  7. #1107
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    His personal opinion and beliefs are not moronic.
    You do not have to agree with them, but saying they are moronic, is well, moronic and bigoted.


    As if comparing equating homosexuality to beastality isnt moronic.....

  8. #1108
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    As if comparing equating homosexuality isnt moronic.....
    He didn't do any such thing.
    He was asked what he thought was sinful as he answered the question.
    He did not compare or equate the two to each other. They are both sins as he stated.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  9. #1109
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,360

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    What? There's no logic involved, it's just always been that way. If a TV station or network pays you to be on camera you'd better not say anything in public that they don't like. FOX fired Craig James last year for pretty much the same thing. I don't get why some are trying to make this a 'freedom of speech' issue. It isn't at all. If anything it's about the freedom of the employer. If you owned a brake and muffler shop and one of your guys kept calling women customers 'bitch' and black customers 'nigger' and Mexican customers 'spic', wouldn't you have the right to fire him? That jackass this thread's about alienated a slice of his employers potential audience. He's gone.
    Obviously there's logic involved in your response.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #1110
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,018

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    His personal opinion and beliefs are not moronic.
    You do not have to agree with them, but saying they are moronic, is well, moronic and bigoted.


    That is your point of view, Robertson has the bigoted opinion that gays are sinners etc. etc. and I have the opinion that he is a moron. You might think that makes me bigoted but I think it is very fair to call a person who makes racially questionable and anti-gay comments a moron.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •