Page 109 of 166 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119159 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1658

Thread: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E (W: 742)

  1. #1081
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    So, it looks like the Lefty got a harsher punishment than the Bible Thumper...but, yet all the RW'ers here can't seem to get over the fact that Phil is being asked to leave.
    How so, it isn't anyone's fault he does a live show but his.

  2. #1082
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,515
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    So, by that logic Critical gave up his right to date who he wants. Yes?
    What? There's no logic involved, it's just always been that way. If a TV station or network pays you to be on camera you'd better not say anything in public that they don't like. FOX fired Craig James last year for pretty much the same thing. I don't get why some are trying to make this a 'freedom of speech' issue. It isn't at all. If anything it's about the freedom of the employer. If you owned a brake and muffler shop and one of your guys kept calling women customers 'bitch' and black customers 'nigger' and Mexican customers 'spic', wouldn't you have the right to fire him? That jackass this thread's about alienated a slice of his employers potential audience. He's gone.
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  3. #1083
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,176

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by SingleCellOrganism View Post
    Is it bigotry to be repelled by bestiality?

    (by your logic, yes, yes it is.)

    Is it bigotry to shun prostitution?

    (by your logic, yes, yes it is.)

    Apparently when sexual choice is shunned, it is now bigotry.

    E.G. bigotry means nothing now

    Is it bigotry to call someone ignorant for expressing their beliefs?

    (by your logic, yes, yes it is.)
    here's a hint: if you inveigh against the ability of persons to choose their own sexual orientation, then you are a bigot
    doesn't matter how much you try to package that belief as consistent with your faith, you're a bigot. maybe religious, but also an intolerant bigot
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  4. #1084
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,758

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    here's a hint: if you inveigh against the ability of persons to choose their own sexual orientation, then you are a bigot
    doesn't matter how much you try to package that belief as consistent with your faith, you're a bigot. maybe religious, but also an intolerant bigot
    As I see it...expressing a personal opinion can but is not necessarily bigotry. It depends on the opinion. More specifically, it depends on the context of the opinion

    For example, saying "I think black people are stupid" would be bigotry.
    But saying "I think X person (who happens to be black) is stupid" would NOT be bigotry. Even if that person was in truth far smarter than you, you're still addressing them as an individual, rather than a group.

    Really, I suppose, it's assigning characteristics to a group rather than an individual that is bigotry. Even if accurate in a general way.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  5. #1085
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,176

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    As I see it...expressing a personal opinion can but is not necessarily bigotry. It depends on the opinion. More specifically, it depends on the context of the opinion

    For example, saying "I think black people are stupid" would be bigotry.
    But saying "I think X person (who happens to be black) is stupid" would NOT be bigotry. Even if that person was in truth far smarter than you, you're still addressing them as an individual, rather than a group.

    Really, I suppose, it's assigning characteristics to a group rather than an individual that is bigotry. Even if accurate in a general way.
    here are his statements:
    “Everything is blurred on what’s right and what’s wrong. Sin becomes fine,” he said in the interview. “Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men.”
    “They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’ — not a word!” Robertson said. “Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy?They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”
    no doubt. phil robertson is a bigot. his own words condemn him
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  6. #1086
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    and that is the way it is, December 2013.

    This is not the USA I grew up it. It sliding down a hill into the dump. Don't express your beliefs, it will get you fired.
    Doing dumb things gets you fired. This qualifies as one of them. Its always been that way.

    I went to one of his hunting seminars years ago before his dynasty show and let me say, he said some dumb **** there too. I could quote him saying, "lets say you sneak up on three wood ducks on a pond, you pull up your gun, you are gonna shoot at them, you dont care about the fact that the game warden says you can only shoot 2..." Now don't get me wrong, I thought it was funny, but as a professional representing waterfowl hunters why would you say something like that? Plain stupid, not surprised by the recent news. I dont feel sorry for idiots.
    Last edited by drz-400; 12-21-13 at 02:32 AM.

  7. #1087
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,787

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Question. Has the butthurt died down, or are some people still choosing not to accept reality?
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  8. #1088
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,029

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Here is how I see it:

    Phil Robertson is free to have his moronic and archaic views about gays and is free to say his hurtful and stupid comments because he is a person with an opinion (guaranteed by the constitution).

    A&E is free to have their views about gays and their views about how they do not agree with the hurtful and stupid comments made by Phil Robertson and they are free to act upon this because they too have the same freedom of speech rights as Robertson has. A&E for all purposes intended is a person under the constitution and thus have a constitutional right to free speech as well. And if you are of that opinion that the words of Robertson are totally unacceptable for you as a person/company, you have the right to not cooperate with such a person anymore.

    Also, Phil Robertson did not only make anti-gay comments but he also made moronic comments about blacks, the moron and chief of the Ducks stated:

    “I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field.... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”

    Phil Robertson On Racism In GQ Article - Business Insider

    Sure, in the segregated period of the United States blacks were happy working the fields and singing. And the Blues according to the Duckster must have taken place after they were "entitled", when they were happy slaving away on the fields not having real civil rights.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  9. #1089
    Sage
    Born Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sonny and Nice
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,396

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    here's a hint: if you inveigh against the ability of persons to choose their own sexual orientation, then you are a bigot
    doesn't matter how much you try to package that belief as consistent with your faith, you're a bigot. maybe religious, but also an intolerant bigot
    Intolerant, that is a word that is being batted around like a pinata, the gays lesbians etc were demanding tolerance for their views. Now I have to ask where is the same tolerance for a person speaking his views that you don't agree with. There is a word for that, hypocrite.
    Liberals - Punish the Successful, Reward the Unsuccessful
    Liberals - Tax, Borrow, Spend, and Give Free Stuff
    Obama's legacy - President Donald Trump

  10. #1090
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,029

    Re: 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson suspended by A&E

    Quote Originally Posted by Born Free View Post
    Intolerant, that is a word that is being batted around like a pinata, the gays lesbians etc were demanding tolerance for their views. Now I have to ask where is the same tolerance for a person speaking his views that you don't agree with. There is a word for that, hypocrite.
    Sorry to disagree, they are not looking for tolerance but for equal rights under the law and they wish not to be insulted, discriminated or to be the victims of violent hate crimes.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •