Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 222

Thread: Five years in, Obama and Bush poll numbers nearly identical

  1. #41
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,561

    Re: Five years in, Obama and Bush poll numbers nearly identical

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    What's been happening in the stock market recently is a Fed based ponzi scam that will implode as soon as the Fed decides no longer to flood the bond markets with make believe American dollars. Hold on to your "ass"ets, it's going to be a bumpy ride.
    so, it's going up, but is about to implode as it is not possible for the economy to improve while there is a Democrat in the white House.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  2. #42
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,943
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Five years in, Obama and Bush poll numbers nearly identical

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    The headline spins it just a bit, Obama's numbers are actually a bit worse even. If it looks like a lame duck, walks like a lame duck, quacks like a lame duck......



    "In fact, Bush comes out one point ahead, 40 percent to 39 percent, respectively.The Gallup daily tracking poll for November 5th 2013 puts Obama’s approval at 39 percent, with 53 percent disapproving of his job performance.
    By comparison, polling for the first week of November in 2005 had Bush’s approval at 40 percent, with 55 percent disapproving of his job performance.
    And the negative comparison to Bush’s numbers is potentially worse for Obama than just a tough headline.
    As former Bush adviser Matthew Dowd said on ABC’s “This Week,” the real damage lies in the fact that historically low approval numbers often constrain a president’s ability to rebound with the public.
    “I think what you have right now is you talked about the floor of the president's approval numbers, which are almost exactly where President Bush's were. Every time you establish a new floor, you establish a new ceiling,” Dowd said.
    Noting that Bush’s approval free fall “wasn’t all about Katrina,” Dowd said Obama faces a similar assault from multiple fronts.
    "The president's problems have been brewing for a while,” Dowd said. “What the Republican circus did was cover up a lot of the president's problems. That circus that went on with the Republicans for a while. And then once that was over, it revealed a deeper problem with the presidency."



    Five years in, Obama and Bush poll numbers nearly identical
    Here is something to think about when a president's approval rating is at 45% or below just before the mid term election.


    The following midterms happened when a president’s approval rating is at 45% or below:
    1974 Ford 42% Minus 5 senate Minus 48 House seats
    1982 Reagan 43% Plus 1 senate Minus 26 House seats
    1994 Clinton 41% Minus 9 senate Minus 54 House seats
    2006 Bush II 37% Minus 6 senate Minus 33 House seats
    2010 Obama 45% Minus 6 senate Minus 63 House seats

    But keep in mind that President Obama has 11 months to climb above this and since 1 November when he was at 39% he has climbed back up to 41% today according to the RCP averages.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  3. #43
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Five years in, Obama and Bush poll numbers nearly identical

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    so, it's going up, but is about to implode as it is not possible for the economy to improve while there is a Democrat in the white House.
    Did I say that?!?

    The stock market began to regain strength in early 2009, after TARP was passed in late 2008 and the banking system was stabilized. It continued to rise as world economies continued to flounder, particularly in Europe, and the American dollar and the American stock market were again seen as the last, safe port in the storm. The American economy continued and continues to stagnate, which is why the Fed for the past couple of years has continued to pump money into the economy in the hope of creating economic activity to sustain some semblance of growth. It's not been pretty. With other investments like bonds and standard bank based investment certificates being a virtual zero in income generation because the Fed is artificially suppressing interest rates and with real estate in the US remaining depressed, the stock market remains the only vehicle for income generation and growth. If the Fed pulls out, it will shock the stock market into a massive correction. But it is a great place to find asset growth while the getting is good.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  4. #44
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,561

    Re: Five years in, Obama and Bush poll numbers nearly identical

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Did I say that?!?

    The stock market began to regain strength in early 2009, after TARP was passed in late 2008 and the banking system was stabilized. It continued to rise as world economies continued to flounder, particularly in Europe, and the American dollar and the American stock market were again seen as the last, safe port in the storm. The American economy continued and continues to stagnate, which is why the Fed for the past couple of years has continued to pump money into the economy in the hope of creating economic activity to sustain some semblance of growth. It's not been pretty. With other investments like bonds and standard bank based investment certificates being a virtual zero in income generation because the Fed is artificially suppressing interest rates and with real estate in the US remaining depressed, the stock market remains the only vehicle for income generation and growth. If the Fed pulls out, it will shock the stock market into a massive correction. But it is a great place to find asset growth while the getting is good.
    No, you really didn't say that.
    What I was reacting to was the correlation of perception about the state of the economy and the letter after the name of the current president.

    Whether the quantitative easing you are describing is a good thing in the long term or not, I'm not sure. Yes, it is helping the stock market gain in value, as it keeps interest rates low.

    IMO, there is no long term solution to keeping a healthy economy that doesn't involve more jobs, higher wages, and more middle class wage earners. I don't think either of the two parties has a workable policy to make that happen.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  5. #45
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Five years in, Obama and Bush poll numbers nearly identical

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    No, you really didn't say that.
    What I was reacting to was the correlation of perception about the state of the economy and the letter after the name of the current president.

    Whether the quantitative easing you are describing is a good thing in the long term or not, I'm not sure. Yes, it is helping the stock market gain in value, as it keeps interest rates low.

    IMO, there is no long term solution to keeping a healthy economy that doesn't involve more jobs, higher wages, and more middle class wage earners. I don't think either of the two parties has a workable policy to make that happen.
    Can't disagree - I would say, however, that the ACA is a net depresser of economic activity and jobs in the US right now and until that changes the US and world economies are going to stagger along with no real, serious growth in sight.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  6. #46
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,561

    Re: Five years in, Obama and Bush poll numbers nearly identical

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Can't disagree - I would say, however, that the ACA is a net depresser of economic activity and jobs in the US right now and until that changes the US and world economies are going to stagger along with no real, serious growth in sight.
    The cost of health care is and has been for some time a major depressor of economic activity in the US. If the ACA can at least level off the increase somewhat, as it seems to be doing currently, then it might help a bit, but we have a long way to go to solve the health care cost crisis we're experiencing.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #47
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Five years in, Obama and Bush poll numbers nearly identical

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    The cost of health care is and has been for some time a major depressor of economic activity in the US. If the ACA can at least level off the increase somewhat, as it seems to be doing currently, then it might help a bit, but we have a long way to go to solve the health care cost crisis we're experiencing.
    I agree - I was referring more to the negative impact on employment and the one year waiver on the employer mandate is not helping, simply causing continued resistance against new hires.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  8. #48
    User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-14 @ 11:44 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    49

    Re: Five years in, Obama and Bush poll numbers nearly identical

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    The best indicator will be where this country will be when Obama leaves office. GWB took a country with a budget surplus and drove this country to the brink of economic and moral bankruptcy. Obama took over a country in a mess...and hopefully he won't leave it in a mess....time will tell.
    Clinton's $300 Billion surplus was something to brag about, but the debt was $5 Trillion after Clinton, $10 Trillion after Bush and will be $20 Trillion after Obama. It doesn't look good that Obama and the dems refuse to cut spending, address the entitlements and continue say that spending isn't the problem.

  9. #49
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Five years in, Obama and Bush poll numbers nearly identical

    And Bush didn't have the media thinking he was the messiah. Imagine Obama's numbers would be if the press wasn't covering for him
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #50
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,561

    Re: Five years in, Obama and Bush poll numbers nearly identical

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I agree - I was referring more to the negative impact on employment and the one year waiver on the employer mandate is not helping, simply causing continued resistance against new hires.

    The whole idea of putting the cost of health care on the backs of employers is a bad idea. The system you Canadians have may not be perfect, either, but it is less expensive than what we have and doesn't require employers to provide health coverage.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •