Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 54

Thread: WaPo: Waiting for the 8th

  1. #21
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,737

    Re: WaPo: Waiting for the 8th

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Do you have sources for the bold?
    As a matter of fact, I do. From the Bureau of Labor Statistics.Here's the link.

    Like I said, for every job, there are 3 seekers (2.9 to be exact), and if we are going to deny them food, then we are the freakin' Antichrist, and not the Christian nation that we falsely claim we are.
    Last edited by danarhea; 12-18-13 at 12:00 AM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #22
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: WaPo: Waiting for the 8th



    I think she needs to learn how to manage that money better.Cigarettes, wigs, perfume, and eyelash extensions are things that can be cut. Things like flour, yeast, pasta,rice and ramen can stretch those food dollars if bought in bulk. These things can last a month or two depending on the amount bought in bulk.They can be used to stretch out meat. Even cheese,cooking oil, hamburger meat and other stuff can be bought in bulk. As many people as she feeds she shopping at Save-A-Lot is the worst store to shop at. If she cut those smokes,wigs,perfume and other **** I bet her and her older children can buy a Sams club or bulk foods store membership,especially if they make a trip to the plasma place to sell some plasma.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #23
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: WaPo: Waiting for the 8th

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    You forgot whats actually the biggest expenditure.

    Frankly, I quit a year ago. Partially for health but mainly because the price is just unaffordable. They average $8 a pack in the DC area and your average smoker has a pack a day habit.
    As a lifelong smoker, only recently redeemed by Ecigs, I am very sympathetic to the depth of nicotine addiction. But it's a habit that has ways to quit or at least less expensive alternatives.

    There are only 2 ways to survive if you have the misfortune of starting over. You can make more or spend less. Or you can do both and be successful. I have low income friends and despite my gentle persuasions, I see them make poor financial decisions. Maybe it's an art or primal genetics. You either get it or you don't.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,838

    Re: WaPo: Waiting for the 8th

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    As a matter of fact, I do. From the Bureau of Labor Statistics.Here's the link.

    Like I said, for every job, there are 3 seekers (2.9 to be exact), and if we are going to deny them food, then we are the freakin' Antichrist, and not the Christian nation that we falsely claim we are.
    Wow, thank you! Not often you get a legitimate source and one so up-to-date. I will save that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #25
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: WaPo: Waiting for the 8th

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    My take away is that there is a segment of our population that is living in a horrible cycle of dependence. Neither they nor the rest of us know how to fix it. It would seem that the hope of the Great Society failed.

    Another take away is that the debate about a few more or less dollars is a distraction from the real issue, which is how to fix this problem. Neither left or roght has the answer, so they go to the thing they do best, demagogue.
    Realistically, this may not be a fixable problem. In the age of robots and globalization, lower end jobs will not be returning to America. We've actually had growth in manufacturing but a great deal of our products are built by machines. To run these machines you must have enough education to manage them correctly. So, these are good jobs but they aren't available to a 20-something with a GED.

    So, we will have a pool of people at the bottom. Some will have had a temporary disruption and they'll bounce back. Some will never leave their circumstances. As one of the worlds largest agricultural countries, that pays billions to certain beloved corporations to NOT grow food, I don't think we have any food shortages coming up.

    Some on assistance will manage their tiny income wisely and get by. Some will squander it on dope. Hopefully, they'll remember to buy junior some oatmeal. SNAP is probably the LEAST troubling welfare program. Even useless people must be fed. Why resent something that basic?

  6. #26
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: WaPo: Waiting for the 8th

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Here are some facts about SNAP...

    1) For every job opening that exists, there are 3 people looking for jobs. 2 of them just aren't going to get that job, no matter how hard they try. Not in this economy. So the solution is to punish them by starving their kids? What kind of savages are we? But even savages in third world countries try their best to feed their own. So that would make us even worse than savages.

    2) More than 40% of people on food stamps are employed full time. Want to blame somebody? Blame McDonald's, who pays starvation wages, while instructing their employees on how to get food stamps. Welfare loafer? McDonald's, since they are doing their best to put as many of their own employees as possible on the public dole on MY DIME, instead of paying a livable wage.
    Blame McDonalds?

  7. #27
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: WaPo: Waiting for the 8th

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    How many aren't looking for a job? That's another FOX News lie. To be on SNAP, you are required to spend at least 20 hours a week looking for work, and must document your work search. If you cannot show by documentation that you have spent at least 20 hours in a week looking for work, you are immediately cut off of SNAP. This requirement was written into the Farm Bill itself. This is a Federal requirement. Some states have even tougher requirements. Texas, for instance, requires 30 hours per week of job search activities, which also must be documented. I have had people come in the door where I work, asking if they could apply for a job, and they had their paperwork for SNAP with them. But ignorant people have no problem saying that these people spend all day watching TV instead of looking for work.
    Did you read this article at all?

    As for your second point, it seems the writer was very selective on who he interviewed. Bias? You betcha. It is hack journalism that keeps people ignorant to how it really is, and just plays on emotion, especially hatred, instead of facts. Their attitude is usually "We gotta punish these shiftless people who choose to work at low paying jobs, so let's starve their kids. That'll teach 'em". Disgusting savagery from disgusting savages.
    Ok, let's say it's biased...is it a lie? Because it didn't mention her looking for work, nor did it show any credible attempt of the 22 year old daughter.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  8. #28
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: WaPo: Waiting for the 8th

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I think she needs to learn how to manage that money better.Cigarettes, wigs, perfume, and eyelash extensions are things that can be cut. Things like flour, yeast, pasta,rice and ramen can stretch those food dollars if bought in bulk. These things can last a month or two depending on the amount bought in bulk.They can be used to stretch out meat. Even cheese,cooking oil, hamburger meat and other stuff can be bought in bulk. As many people as she feeds she shopping at Save-A-Lot is the worst store to shop at. If she cut those smokes,wigs,perfume and other **** I bet her and her older children can buy a Sams club or bulk foods store membership,especially if they make a trip to the plasma place to sell some plasma.
    Buying in bulk is probably difficult for her considering where she lives, and has no personal transportation.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  9. #29
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: WaPo: Waiting for the 8th

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Realistically, this may not be a fixable problem. In the age of robots and globalization, lower end jobs will not be returning to America. We've actually had growth in manufacturing but a great deal of our products are built by machines. To run these machines you must have enough education to manage them correctly. So, these are good jobs but they aren't available to a 20-something with a GED.

    So, we will have a pool of people at the bottom. Some will have had a temporary disruption and they'll bounce back. Some will never leave their circumstances. As one of the worlds largest agricultural countries, that pays billions to certain beloved corporations to NOT grow food, I don't think we have any food shortages coming up.

    Some on assistance will manage their tiny income wisely and get by. Some will squander it on dope. Hopefully, they'll remember to buy junior some oatmeal. SNAP is probably the LEAST troubling welfare program. Even useless people must be fed. Why resent something that basic?
    I think the work requirement should be replaced with an educational/job training requirement. The only thing that will fix poverty is education.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  10. #30
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: WaPo: Waiting for the 8th

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Here are some facts about SNAP...

    1) For every job opening that exists, there are 3 people looking for jobs. 2 of them just aren't going to get that job, no matter how hard they try. Not in this economy. So the solution is to punish them by starving their kids? What kind of savages are we? But even savages in third world countries try their best to feed their own. So that would make us even worse than savages.

    2) More than 40% of people on food stamps are employed full time. Want to blame somebody? Blame McDonald's, who pays starvation wages, while instructing their employees on how to get food stamps. Welfare loafer? McDonald's, since they are doing their best to put as many of their own employees as possible on the public dole on MY DIME, instead of paying a livable wage.
    Starvation wages my ass. What silly non sense. McD's pays, are we ready for this... entry level, low skill/experience work at what that work is worth. If you are LIVING off of entry level pay, you have to make sacrifices and smart choices. Don't like the pay, don't work there. That's all you can get for a job? Then work your ARSE off so you can move up/out of that area. Oh sorry, you don't get to go clubbing, buy a PS4 and Xbox1, drive a hot car and stand in line for the new iPhone 6.

    Why do people demand compensation to subsidize their lives when they haven't worked for it?

    Which parlays into this atrocious heart string mess of an article.

    Poor choices. Subsidized by the Federal Government, this woman has a lifetime of piss poor choices and she's ensured more bad choices will continue by her offspring. Courtesy of "caring" people that vote to give her and her family your money.



    (as to your McD's and foodstamp bit: Video: McDonald’s tells workers to get food stamps - Salon.com )

    Yeah I looked it up, 10 years working there, still making min wage... that's a lack of ambition and planning her life, not the Companies fault.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •