Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 179

Thread: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

  1. #81
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    then why the whining?
    Why am i whining? Because once good jobs that were offered to Americans are either being devaluated or offshored thus creating a giant income gap

    BTW i think the MW is not something Congress can properly set and is something that should be eliminated
    Cannot properly set?
    It was supposed to be kept up with inflation.


  2. #82
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

    Quote Originally Posted by CalGun View Post
    Did you fail to notice the a University of Santa Cruz study on wealth distribution? It has not really changed much since the 1920's EXCEPT then the 1% was a mere 1.1 million homes and now it's 3.1 million homes.
    No i have not. I have not seen a link to it.


  3. #83
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post

    I think your forgetting a little thing called inflation.
    Actually I didn't. That's a real-money claim. After-Tax Income has advanced in real terms for the American people.

    it's not like the information isn't out there:

    WonkBlog: Obama says the typical family income ‘barely budged’ between 1979 and 2007. It grew at least 15 percent.
    U.S. Census Bureau: Real Median Family Income Grew 17.7% from 1979 to 2007, Real Household Income, which includes people living alone and non-related roomates) grew 14.4%.
    Congressional Budget Office: before taking taxes and transfers (like Social Security or the Earned Income Tax Credit) into account, real median household incomes grew 19.9 percent between 1979 and 2007; after taking transfers but not taxes into account, they grew 30 percent; and after taxes, they grew 38.2 percent.

    A typical tactic is to talk about "household" income, for example, without taking into account the fact that households are shrinking in size. So (making up numbers here), if your household in 1960 was two parents and three kids and brought home (in 2013 dollars) $35K; that's $7k per head. A household in 2013 that consists of a single parent with two children bringing home $35K is bringing home $11,666 per head, a 66% improvement, not a 0% improvement.

  4. #84
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Why am i whining? Because once good jobs that were offered to Americans are either being devaluated or offshored thus creating a giant income gap


    Cannot properly set?
    It was supposed to be kept up with inflation.
    tell me why American companies should pay more for the same quantity and quality of labor than what their competition pays?

    Do you think you are entitled to higher wages than say an Indian or a Chinese worker even if he works as hard and as well as you do?



  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    No i have not. I have not seen a link to it.
    Fair enough, please note table four (4)
    Who Rules America: Wealth, Income, and Power

  6. #86
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    No they havnet see post #76
    that's your argument? That minimum wage has not kept up with inflation from its peak?

    Dude, minimum wage is about 1.5% of the workforce.

    If your actual response to the U.S. Census Bureau and the Congressional Budget Office both telling you that real wages have risen is to cite the minimum wage, you lose

  7. #87
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    tell me why American companies should pay more for the same quantity and quality of labor than what their competition pays?
    Because a little thing called state sovereignty.
    Corporations infact do not pay the set corporate tax rate we have in this country and with more trade deals that are being worked out they wont have to pay the tax rate in other countries as well.

    Do you think you are entitled to higher wages than say an Indian or a Chinese worker even if he works as hard and as well as you do?
    In fact yes i do. Because of a thing called sovereignty. And i also think those people working in China should be paid more as well and i think US companies that use that labor should be charged with human rights violations.


  8. #88
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Because a little thing called state sovereignty.
    Corporations infact do not pay the set corporate tax rate we have in this country and with more trade deals that are being worked out they wont have to pay the tax rate in other countries as well.


    In fact yes i do. Because of a thing called sovereignty. And i also think those people working in China should be paid more as well and i think US companies that use that labor should be charged with human rights violations.
    opinion noted and rejected based upon economic reality. good luck with that silliness.



  9. #89
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    that's your argument? That minimum wage has not kept up with inflation from its peak?
    Infact yes it is proven by the BLS statistics.

    Dude, minimum wage is about 1.5% of the workforce.

    If your actual response to the U.S. Census Bureau and the Congressional Budget Office both telling you that real wages have risen is to cite the minimum wage, you lose
    "The CPI inflation calculator uses the average Consumer Price Index for a given calendar year. This data represents changes in prices of all goods and services purchased for consumption by urban households. This index value has been calculated every year since 1913. For the current year, the latest monthly index value is used."


  10. #90
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

    Quote Originally Posted by CalGun View Post
    Fair enough, please note table four (4)
    Who Rules America: Wealth, Income, and Power
    Based off what? Do you have the population #'s?


Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •