Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 179

Thread: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

    Well how did ofailure care impact the rich? How did it impact the middle class? Maybe you should look into the mirror instead of throwing stones.


    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Then why is the middle class disappearing? They certainly are not joining the upper class...

  2. #22
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

    Quote Originally Posted by CalGun View Post
    Well how did ofailure care impact the rich? How did it impact the middle class? Maybe you should look into the mirror instead of throwing stones.
    So a trend that has been going on since the 80's is the ACA's fault? Get real man.


  3. #23
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,703

    Re: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Then why is the middle class disappearing? They certainly are not joining the upper class...
    Because it's getting to the point where not bothering to be "middle class" is a practical option for a lot of people. We're seeing more and more people who are choosing to avoid the whole "career ladder" thing and simply hang out on the bottom few rungs where there is little responsibility, little risk and enough subsidy to keep life liveable. The really scary part of that is those people aren't saving for retirement so they are only going to become more reliant on subsidies as time goes by.

  4. #24
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Because it's getting to the point where not bothering to be "middle class" is a practical option for a lot of people. We're seeing more and more people who are choosing to avoid the whole "career ladder" thing and simply hang out on the bottom few rungs where there is little responsibility, little risk and enough subsidy to keep life liveable. The really scary part of that is those people aren't saving for retirement so they are only going to become more reliant on subsidies as time goes by.
    Then wouldnt productivity go down or bottom out? The opposite is true. Productivity is increasing.


  5. #25
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,703

    Re: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Then wouldnt productivity go down or bottom out? The opposite is true. Productivity is increasing.
    Productivity is increasing because over the last 30 years we've come up with lots and lots of ways to be more productive with less hands on a project. One person can design a widget and feed the details into a machine that can knock them out by the thousand. We don't need a whole string of assemblers, welders, nut turners, etc.

  6. #26
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Then why is the middle class disappearing? They certainly are not joining the upper class...
    So, what's your solution?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #27
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Productivity is increasing because over the last 30 years we've come up with lots and lots of ways to be more productive with less hands on a project. One person can design a widget and feed the details into a machine that can knock them out by the thousand. We don't need a whole string of assemblers, welders, nut turners, etc.
    So then havent we moved on from the reason that "people are lazy and wont work as hard" to the reason that "technology has increased the ability for one person to make a lot of things very easily"?
    As this study points out several key things come to mind:
    Firslty productivity is defined as: "Productivity growth, which is the growth of the output of goods and services per hour worked, provides the basis for the growth of living standards"
    --We not only are doing more work but working longer

    And also

    "First, as shown in Figure B, average hourly compensation—which includes the pay of CEOs and day laborers alike—grew just 39.2 percent from 1973 to 2011, far lagging productivity growth. In short, workers, on average, have not seen their pay keep up with productivity. This partly reflects the first wedge: an overall shift in how much of the income in the economy is received in wages by workers and how much is received by owners of capital. The share going to workers decreased."
    The wedges between productivity and median compensation growth | Economic Policy Institute


  8. #28
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    So, what's your solution?
    For starters:
    -Stronger progressive tax
    -Keep the minimum wage up with inflation


  9. #29
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,363

    Re: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    What happened during the 40's, 50's, 60's, and 70's? Had much of the same programs around and was not even close to this giant income gap.
    Have you ever been to see the mansions in Newport R.I. where the mega wealthy of the time had their summer houses? Forget about the Robber Barrons?

  10. #30
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Ap survey: Us income gap is holding back economy

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    For starters:
    -Stronger progressive tax
    -Keep the minimum wage up with inflation
    Ah! More taxes. How is giving more money to the government going to help?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •